Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stripping lube from cast bullets

I have some old cast bullets saved,almost 9 pounds, the grease is very hard,so i want to make them into ingots to to cast and shoot later.i lined my toaster oven grill with non stick aluminum foil dumped in about 100 boolits.i set the thing on broil at 400 degrees. The grease started melting out after 5 minutes and i called time at 8 minutes.i then dumped them in cold water and alot of the wax cooled and floated to the top and was removed, When done i drained the water and spread them out on an old cookie sheet in the sun until dry. I noticed that 45acp needs the full 8 minutes but 30 cal only needed 5 minutes. I also did a batch on bake instead of broil..it worked but almost got to hot on 400, 350 took 15 minutes and the wax started to smoke. Now im not sure if its really necessary if you are remelting into ingots but smoke and fire make neighbors grumpy,and you know a happy wife is a happy life. Maybe this will come in handy for someone.
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boolit Mold
    I was given a box approx 500 45 swc they filthy lube was hardened were not useable in that state. I did the same thing put them in the toaster oven melted off the wax lube , wife didn't like the smoke and smell LOL figured she'd get over it. Wiped them down with rubbing alcohol then PC them.

Hi id like to share my method for removing old dried lube/wax from cast bullets. Why you ask would you do this ? well in my case i had some bollits with very hard lube and also i wanted to test powder coating without casting first.
    this method works : first toaster oven boolits at 375 for 6-10 minutes,most lube will melt off onto your aluminum foil tray.dump them into water ,skim off the wax that comes to the surface.rub dry and to get some dry wax off, Now fill another bucket with lacqure thinner,soak over night.now fill another bucket with very hot hot water, add borox clothes wash booster,simple green aand or Dawn.4 hours later rinse and dry.very clean no grease film, I wouldnt want to do this all the time but its nice to have a method that works if needed, and now i can test powder coating.
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boil in a pan of water then wash with gas or about any petroleum solvent.
    Whatever!

Would paint thinners work to remove swage lube so I can then Hi tek coat???
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

I have a large bunch of lubed .356 diameter cast bullets that lead my 9mm barrel terribly. My barrel measures .356, so I would like to remove the lube and PC them to increase the diameter. Seems like a viable reason to remove the lube, clean the bullet then PC them. I do cast, so, I will do a test and see how removal performs. That way if there is still a leading problem I can melt them down and recast them. They are so pretty I hate to go that far right away.

Boolit Master
    Better/cheaper/faster solution:

Get a old 2 quart pot.
    Throw in the bullets, cover with water, add 2 tablespoon of laundry detergent.
    add a tablespoon of lemishine/citric acid if you have it (it will etch the bullets nicely for PC adhesion).
    bring to boil.

lube will melt and come to the surface. then you can either
    1) wait until cool and lube will be a cake on the surface and pick off easily.
    2) just pour off the water+lube in the weeds
    3) use a paper towel to soak up and remove the melted lube (may need several)

drain and strain bullets (an old colander helps), dry bullets on an old towel with fan blowing over them.

No cost, no toxicity, done in an hour

Boolit Master
    Just replied to a similar thread. Xylol Xylene worked great for me. Yes it's a nasty paint thinner but flat out works to remove bullet lube and does it quickly.

Read my reply in the other thread if you care to know the process I used.

Motor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12