Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirror Lube

Interesting. I've been using a lube on jacketed bullets for quite some time. For my hornet I use it to 'glue' the bullet in an unsized neck in conjunction with a paper hand towel 'cup'. On my hunting 303 using semi-boat-tail bullets, I dip the bullet bases in the molten lube, let them cool then seat in a sized neck. Both the hornet and 303 have rust damaged bores and neither of them have any copper fouling or need to clean and lube the bores. The lube I use is made up of Lee Alox (original), hard candle wax and STP smoke stopper in equal proportions. This makes a 'dry' and firm waxy-lube.

I've been looking for a substitute for the Alox mix and have been experimenting with carnauba mixes. This gives me a new avenue to experiment with.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    29% - 43% is a TON of Carnauba wax and will cause some major problems with the lube. My recipe will work much better and it comes close to the consistency of original.
    molybdenum disulfide powder= is a lube in it's own. I seen this way before I had seen powder coating
    Didn't know the carnuba wax can be that damaging

Boolit Mold

Mirror lube

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny S View Post
    I ended up (somehow) with 11 solid sticks of Mirror-Lube and have been reading about it .... I found this .....

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20060030495

A composition for bullet lubrication that comprises an admixture of carnauba wax and beeswax in combination with mineral oil, silicone oil, metal-containing greases, molybdenum disulfide and graphite. The application of lubricants may be made to the aft portion of the surface of the bullet.

1. A bullet lubricating composition comprising 29% to 43% of carnauba wax in admixture with 21% to 46% beeswax, 1.7% to 15% mineral oil, 1.7% to 6.6% silicone oil, 2.6% to 9.7% graphite, 1.7% to 6.6% molybdenum disulfide powder and 9.2% to 19% metal grease, all by volume.
    2. The composition ofclaim 1wherein the metal grease comprises two metal-containing greases mixed with the remaining components and wherein the two metal greases comprise the molybdenum disulfide-containing lithium soap based grease sold under the trademark MOLYKOTE® BR-2 PLUS and the molybdenum disulfide-containing mineral oil based paste sold under the trademark MOLYKOTE® G-N.
    3. The composition ofclaim 2wherein the silicone oil comprises a phenyl methyl silicone past.
    4. The composition ofclaim 3wherein the silicone oil is that sold under the trademark MOLYKOTE® 44.

I have not seen that paten narrative since the 1980’s.
    Wow,... that was with all the papers and history of Mirro Lube when I closed it down.
    Every so often, given my strange last name, I will set out to Google it and see what comes back.

I am in fact R.D. Issacoulian.

I saw that there has been some resent activity and dialogue reguarding this product again, so I signed up last night to come out of the shadows (so to speak).

I’ll try to write up the whole story and history of the lube, and what happened in the next few days, but right now, in short, no one has any clue how exotic that mix was.

In fact, I doubt I would fare well (given the compounds used), where stored after HAZMAT became a thing to be reckoned with.

It was a nightmare to mix, but IÂ’ll tell the story of that in a later posting.

Also, the original owner/inventer had veered off from the “mineral oil” aspect by the time I had been given the business.

As for the Carnuba Wax; which I believe is a TM name, comes from the candallia plant fond in Mexico most tines. The mix still called for that but it was only a few pounds and I felt was there as a bonding agent for one of the other coumpounds.
    I pity the poor fool that try to mix this again.
    Once I post the story, you will all understand better.

Warmest Regards
    R.D. Issacoulian, USNR (ret)
    Last edited by Robertdeeice; 01-22-2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Wow. It will be great to be able to hear the whole story. I for one will be waiting to see it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Robertdeeice View Post
    I have not seen that paten narrative since the 1980’s.
    Wow,... that was with all the papers and history of Mirro Lube when I closed it down.
    Every so often, given my strange last name, I will set out to Google it and see what comes back.

I am in fact R.D. Issacoulian.

I saw that there has been some resent activity and dialogue reguarding this product again, so I signed up last night to come out of the shadows (so to speak).

I’ll try to write up the whole story and history of the lube, and what happened in the next few days, but right now, in short, no one has any clue how exotic that mix was.

In fact, I doubt I would fare well (given the compounds used), where stored after HAZMAT became a thing to be reckoned with.

It was a nightmare to mix, but IÂ’ll tell the story of that in a later posting.

Also, the original owner/inventer had veered off from the “mineral oil” aspect by the time I had been given the business.

As for the Carnuba Wax; which I believe is a TM name, comes from the candallia plant fond in Mexico most tines. The mix still called for that but it was only a few pounds and I felt was there as a bonding agent for one of the other coumpounds.
    I pity the poor fool that try to mix this again.
    Once I post the story, you will all understand better.

Warmest Regards
    R.D. Issacoulian, USNR (ret)
    I really liked mirror. I am looking forward to hearing the rest of the story. I still have some.

Boolit Master

Out of curiosity, I too would like to hear the story.

Boolit Master
    I think most (maybe all) lubes have just about an unlimited shelf life. Some years ago, I bought at least eighty sticks of Mirror Lube along with a number of sticks of Perfect Lube. These were originally sent to Saint Jo, Tx gunwriter Kent Bellah. He wrote for a variety of publications from the '50s up until about 1964. Bellah died in '66. This lube was like new when I got it. I used a lot of it, and sold or gave away the rest.

I've mentioned previously that Mirror Lube is a good lube, but so are many others. The more I try various lubes, the more I realize how little difference there is among any of them as far as performance (accuracy and freedom from leading) goes. Smoke is a different matter; some lubes smoke more than others. I don't recall how Mirror Lube did from that aspect.

It would be interesting to see the results of extensive, controlled comparison testing using a variety of lubes and firing lots of groups with handguns and rifles in a number of different chamberings. I am unaware of any such evaluation. Time and effort alone would probably be more than most would be willing to endure.

Boolit Master

Here is a good test you asked for
    http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....pic,554.0.html

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guntzy View Post
    Didn't know the carnuba wax can be that damaging
    Lets just say, I would not used that much Carnaba wax in any lube at $15-20 per pound and it does cause accuracy problems at certain temps

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    That's a great evaluation and some interesting reading. I was unaware anyone had done such testing; certainly lots of work. Anything similar with handgun cartridges that you know of?

Boolit Master

No this is the only one I know of..there was more test but the individual is banned

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12