Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirror Lube

Boolit Buddy

Mirror Lube

I just finished reading all the posts here at CB which mention "Mirror Lube". Interesting old-school stuff, but the only real accuracy report I saw was someone using RandyRat's replication of the stuff.

It came out 1962 or maybe a bit earlier. Mentioned in the September 1963 issue of Guns magazine. http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1963issues/G0963.pdf

It was $.50 per stick back then. US Dept. of Labor says that's = to
    $3.87
    now. Handy-dandy inflation/price calculator here: http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Apparently some time later a Navy guy bought the business and kept it going for some time. Nothing positive on whether the formula remained the same... From 2011: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...98-Mirror-lube. See posts 16 & 34.

So, just wondering if there are any new(er) recollections of this stuff, and how it did holding the 3.36 inch 10-ring for bullseye pistol targets??? Especially at 50 yards for slow fire.

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

When I first started shooting bullseye it was very popular in this area. I have used a bunch but I have not done a head to head test. I still have some.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks!

That DR badge makes me think I can trust your input on this.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grump View Post
    Thanks!

That DR badge makes me think I can trust your input on this.
    As you noted its for the rifle. I worked on a double but I couldn't get it done with the pistol, however, that was not the fault of the mirror lube.

Boolit Master
    I've used a lot of Mirror Lube and it was forty years old when I bought it. It may be as good as anything currently available.

Boolit Master

I think I still have the recipe of Billy Bobs or modified Mirror lube if anybody wants it

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    I think I still have the recipe of Billy Bobs or modified Mirror lube if anybody wants it
    I'm curious what it is, If you would, either post it,or sent me a PM.
    also, how is the micro-wax search going?
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Good stuff. Used a whole lot of it years ago. It was considered one of the best.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I'm curious what it is, If you would, either post it,or sent me a PM.
    Jon
    Same for me.

Banned

it'd take some digging but I remember a recipe being made about 2 years back.
    the guess was made with a little here-say and some testing.
    it for sure has graphite in the mix.

Boolit Master

I found it in my highly sophisticated filing system, pinned up on tag board under the other recipes.
    Mirror Lube
    By weight and measure:
    2 ounces of High temp Lithium moly grease
    6 ounces of Beeswax
    1 teaspoon Carnauba wax flakes
    1/2 teaspoon Lanolin (Approx) to give it a little extra stick

This recipe seemed to mimic the sample I received a while ago and shoot the same. One thing I did notice though, once you put it into your Lube sizer it is tough to get it out when you want to change lubes. It's like liquid coal

Banned

that seems closer to Lyman's moly lube.
    I would have swore the recipe I heard had graphite in it.

Boolit Master
    I have no personal experience with mirro-lube but Dean Grennell said it was pretty good stuff. There are dang few sources I would trust more.

Uncle R.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    that seems closer to Lyman's moly lube.
    I would have swore the recipe I heard had graphite in it.
    Yeah, who knows what is/was in that Mirror lube, I just tried to mimic it the best I could

Banned

after looking at 2 jillion recipes the only thing I'd really be sure of is it has bees-wax.

even Lyman's moly lube has about 4 way's to get you super close.
    none of it really matters all that much, as they all work pretty much the same way.
    heck for that matter I guess you could take my simple lube/or the old 50-50 standby and add some moly or grapite and be close enough.

Boolit Mold
    I ended up (somehow) with 11 solid sticks of Mirror-Lube and have been reading about it .... I found this .....

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20060030495

A composition for bullet lubrication that comprises an admixture of carnauba wax and beeswax in combination with mineral oil, silicone oil, metal-containing greases, molybdenum disulfide and graphite. The application of lubricants may be made to the aft portion of the surface of the bullet.

1. A bullet lubricating composition comprising 29% to 43% of carnauba wax in admixture with 21% to 46% beeswax, 1.7% to 15% mineral oil, 1.7% to 6.6% silicone oil, 2.6% to 9.7% graphite, 1.7% to 6.6% molybdenum disulfide powder and 9.2% to 19% metal grease, all by volume.
    2. The composition ofclaim 1wherein the metal grease comprises two metal-containing greases mixed with the remaining components and wherein the two metal greases comprise the molybdenum disulfide-containing lithium soap based grease sold under the trademark MOLYKOTE® BR-2 PLUS and the molybdenum disulfide-containing mineral oil based paste sold under the trademark MOLYKOTE® G-N.
    3. The composition ofclaim 2wherein the silicone oil comprises a phenyl methyl silicone past.
    4. The composition ofclaim 3wherein the silicone oil is that sold under the trademark MOLYKOTE® 44.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have to look and see what I got in the shop. I bought a bunch of lube which came with a Star machine set up for .45 ACP which I got, and also the bullet sizing machine. Can't remember if it was Mirror Lube or Perfect Lube. Used both back in the day and with .38 and .45 wadcutter anyway,they were great. Must have 40-50 solid sticks for Star...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

29% - 43% is a TON of Carnauba wax and will cause some major problems with the lube. My recipe will work much better and it comes close to the consistency of original.
    molybdenum disulfide powder= is a lube in it's own. I seen this way before I had seen powder coating

Boolit Mold
    Probably so but those are the numbers showing in the U.S. Patent for the stuff ...... do you sell your stuff at all Randyrat ??

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny S View Post
    Probably so but those are the numbers showing in the U.S. Patent for the stuff ...... do you sell your stuff at all Randyrat ??
    I will get back into it when things get settled down on the home front. You will find me in the VS Vendor Sponsor area later this yesr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast