Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: TC Hawken Flintlock/Percussion Convertible?

Boolit Buddy

TC Hawken Flintlock/Percussion Convertible?

Hi,

Years ago, my son was given a TC Hawken stock with a percussion barrel.

The fella noticed my son was left handed and gave him a stock he had 'modified' to be shot left handed. Stock is useless, but it has a nice TC .50 Cal 15/16 percussion barrel with an excellent bore though no lock/trigger/guard.

I was thinking, (dangerous, I know) that if a bought a TC Hawken flintlock rifle, and a spare percussion lock, I could switch back and forth when the mood struck me.

Any reason this wouldn't work?

Jim
    Jim

Perma-Banned
    no reason at all for it not to work. now, if ya was goin' the other way, sometimes if ya put a T/C flint lock on a percussion stock ya hafta make a little wiggle room in the lock inlet.

Boolit Buddy

Great. I was on the fence after coming across the TC in a closet this weekend, but now I'll be on the lookout for a Flintlock TC.

Thanks for the help

Jim

I have done something similar to what your wanting to do except with a Renegade in a right hand version. I went from percussion to flintlock and had to do what bubba.50 said....I had to open the lock area up a little to allow the flintlock to operate.

Let me get this straight your current barrel is a left hand caplock? So you will be looking for a left hand T/C Hawken rifle?

Boolit Buddy

No, it's a right handed barrel and stock. The gentleman took a lot of wood off the comb trying to shape it for a left handed shooter.

I'm going to use the barrel with a right handed tc hawken flintlock (when I find one ) and look for a left handed caplock for my son.
    Jim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    no reason at all for it not to work. now, if ya was goin' the other way, sometimes if ya put a T/C flint lock on a percussion stock ya hafta make a little wiggle room in the lock inlet.
    Can you expand on your comments? I have a Traditions percussion Hawken that I would love to convert to a rock lock.

Perma-Banned
    Traditions/CVA's are different animals & ones I don't have much experience with. but, as to my comments concernin' T/C's, a little bit more wood sometimes needs to be removed about the bolster area of the inlettin' to put a flint lock in a percussion stock.

Boolit Master
    T/Cs Hawken flint lock stock will accommodate such swaps (flint to percussion) without the need to alter its stock or lock mortise. No trigger changes required. On the other hand having a T/C Hawken percussion stock. To swap out its barrel to Flint. Will require a slight opening of its Lock mortise to accommodate the factory F-lock.

I do swap out the barrel on my T/C Hawken Flint lock with other percussion barrels quite often. (Factory/ Percussion: Rd ball only 45 cal- After market/ Percussion: GM LRH 1-28 45 cal - Factory/ Flint 50-cal )

Boolit Master
    You can have the best of both worlds as follows:-Make a Frizzen Minus the Blade,Drill and Tap the pan cover and fit a Nipple,Fit a Percussion Hammer.Alternately instead of a Flint Fit a Block in the Jaws with a blind hole in it to act as a Percussion hammer.Some high class guns where made this way in order to change from one ignition to the Other.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    Can you expand on your comments? I have a Traditions percussion Hawken that I would love to convert to a rock lock.
    I converted a CVA(same as Traditions) years ago but the way the Breech plug/powder drum is you can't really go back or at least it isn't recommended. I just bought a rock lock for the same model and it dropped right in. I had to make a touch hole liner out of a cut off bolt because when I did this internet was just getting started and I couldn't find one with metric threads. Worked just fine in the end.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    I bought a used TC Hawken with 2 GM barrels in 32cal and 2 locks one flint and one cap. Simple switch from flint to cap lock but some one else did the work if any was done. It's my favorite BP gun.