Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: which white label lube is best for me?

Boolit Buddy

which white label lube is best for me?

I have been using white label 50/50 for about a year with acceptable results but it is time to order more lube and I'm considering switching to the 2500, BAC or carnuba red lubes they offer. I shoot a wide variety of rifle and pistol cartridges and would like to keep things as simple as possible right now so would like to stick to one lube only. Am I better off to stay with the 50/50 or change to one of the others?

One of my main concerns is temperature variation where I live. It can often be 0 degrees during deer season and 90 degrees in the summer and I know this matters a lot for lube performance.

Many of my guns are geared toward self-defense or hunting and I only shoot cast bullets, no jacketed, so I'm looking to operate in the full velocity spectrum from plinking to hunting loads.

50/50 is working ok but i have had some very minor leading issues with 9mm and some rifle rounds so I wonder if I'm better off with a different lube, any thoughts you have on it are appreciated

I used to use their BAC, but switched to the 2500 last year. Been using it in 45 acp to magnum pistol calibers and 7.62X39 mm rifle to a velocity of 2300 fps. No leading in any of the calibers. I am in Northern CA. and during summer time do not need to warm the lube sizer. Winter time I need to warm the lube sizer since it is in a unheated part of the garage.

Banned

2500 would be your best bet.

Boolit Master
    I run a heated 450. I only use Carnauba Red for handgun and rifle. Works fine in all applications.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks guys, I think I'll give 2500 a run for a while and see if I run into any wintertime issues.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have and use both 50/50 and Carnauba Red. Most handgun rounds use 50/50, most rifle rounds get CR. Overall experience has been that 50/50 starts "falling apart" in rifles around 1900-2000 FPS and/or 30K PSI (estimated). This experience includes MUCH use of Javelina--Lee--and now White Label brands of this lube.

I haven't had issues with 50/50 in any handgun load, as long as diametric integrity between throat and bullet are kosher. Some of my 9mm and magnum revolver loads exceed 30K PSI by a healthy margin. I think the most rigorous test i have given CR was in 22 Hornet, with #225438 in Lino running 2400 FPS with 9.0 x Alliant 2400 (ironic, eh?) and getting 1.4" to 1.7" 5-shotters at 100 yards. Things held up to 200 yards, too--3.0"-4.0" out there.

I believe in White Label products.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Super Moderator

I like White Label's products too. In wintertime I use straight BAC in my pistols. In summertime I will blend one stick of Carnauba Red with three sticks of BAC in a large pyrex measuring cup over a pot of boiling water. The measuring cup is suspended in the pot by the handle & spout. (double boiler) I then simply pour it into the lube sizer. The Carnauba Red stiffens it up so I don't have a stickiness problem in the warmer months. BAC works fantastic in pistols, but I generally use 2500+ in my rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

I have no issue with the comments above. Due to vision problems I shoot no long guns. However, I shoot LOTS of short guns. I use nothing but home cast bullets. My standard lube has long been Carnauba Red with my handguns. It works well for me from mild to wild.

It does require a heater.

I made my own lube for years. However, when I discovered Lars White Label Lubes, at their excellent performance and great prices, I switched and have never looked back.

Dale

I use CR and BAC for both HV rifle and handgun. In my basement I need to use a little heat to get BAC to flow which can be tricky it seems to have a narrow operating band with my dies and setup (Star).