WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Plain base in 30 Carbine

Boolit Buddy

Plain base in 30 Carbine

Has anybody tried any type of filler under a plain base cast bullet in 30 carbine ?
    I am trying to duplicate the military load with 311008 using quenched ww's at 1850 fps.

I am toying with the idea of :

An over powder card wad cut from shoe box material. 5/16 diameter, 1/32 in thick..

Or

A wad of medical cotton, compressed upon the powder charge by the seated bullet.

Or

COW

or

Wheat bran

Or

A wax wad

Or

Fakes of carniuba floor wax.

OR !!!!!!........ somthing I saw at the grocery store last night ! It was a strip of soft candy ! Apricot juice, mixted with corn starch, and corn syrup.
    Will the sugar in the candy do to my gun bbl,, what sugar in a car gas tank would do to an old bitter enemy ? I'd hate to ruin my gun bbl.

My load will be 13.5 gr 2400 ( cause I have the powder ) I know that charge will probably gas cut the bases off the bullets so I need a filler, that will protect the bullet base, and not clog the gas port.

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I use the Lee mold #311-100-2R which is a plane base bullet. I load with 14 grs of 4227 which should give a velocity of around 2000 fps. I get NO leading and accuracy under 2" at 50 yds. More than satisfactory for plinking. Don't know about gas cutting but accuracy is good. Oh yes bullets are sized at .311. I use my own lube mix.

Boolit Grand Master

Plain base in 30 Carbine

I have not tried this in the 30 carbine with the slightly tapered case, but have in straight sided pistol brass. I invert a gas-check and put it in the mouth of the case, then when the bullet is seated it will be tight against the base. Started using this after reading in Handloader that Dave Scovill had done this.

My concern in the carbine would be if the gas-check was loose in the case because of the taper.

I use a tuff of polyfil at times and have had no problem with this in bottleneck cases.

Boolit Master

I agree with jcwit, I don't think this will be an issue.

I use 11 gr 2400 under a plainbase 120 gr bullet from a past group buy. I have shot them sized .311, and also unsized and lubed with LLA. I get virtually no leading, 100% function, and good accuracy. I have pictures of targets posted in the "Group Buy Results" forum under the 120 RN .30 carbine thread. See for yourself.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't worry about a loose GC in a .30 carbine case.

If you're attempting to duplicate a military load, the powder has to be of the medium burn rate and that's H110, WC820, 2400, 4227, Lil Gun, etc. on account of the pressure that has to be generated to function the action. These medium burn powders must be used in order to keep the pressure down enough to keep from damaging the carbine. In other words, there are only so many powders that fit into a window to function the action and still not blow up the rifle.

The bulk of these powders required normally fills the case to the point that it's a compressed load so there's no space for a GC to "rattle" around in the case./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I have shot thousands of PB 130 gr lyman RN and 115 gr Lyman 31108 FP bullets in M1 carbines without leading. I loaded for velocities between 1700 and 1900 fps and used 2400, H110, Win 680, AA1680 for all of this loading, Most were lubed with 50-50 Alox and beeswax. I never saw any leading and accuracy was as good as I got with jacketed bullets in the rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

14 gr of 4227 gives about 1850 fps with a 118 gr 311316 out of several M1 Carbines I've tried it in.

Larry Gibson