Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Creating Alloy From Wheel Weights Video

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    * Buy a Chinese Wok Spoon with holes: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6P9F5C/...subtag=9192701
    - It it larger than than the spoon your using to remove the clips & dross
    - With the holes in the spoon, the melt will drain back into the pot instead of into the dross container
    * Don't just float the flux on top of the melt - stir it deep into the bottom and around the edges of the pot to gather dross that you are missing
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
    You hit the nail right on the head Kevin, that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the video. It happened to me before, and it didn't take long at all to melt the zinc. I separate my weights, its easy and quick once you learn how to spot those pesky suckers. since WW are so hard to get free, I've been getting mine at those find it yourself junkyards. there, I only grab the lead ones. I can spot the zinc and steel ones a mile away.
    As I explained, even if you melted all the zinc (even though I probably didn't melted any, by the way they were scooping them out intact), you can't get more than 2% (at most) into your alloy at casting temperatures, no matter what you do, Bigjake. Unless one believes that 2% is going to ruin the alloy, it's a non-problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123