Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gary Reeder custom

Boolit Master
    Fiddling around some more. 475 j-bullets check here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191004_173732_251.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	249262.

These are cast,coated and sized .4765. Won't drop through the cylinders,the bullet sits nice and even. Bullet tips are flush with the cylinder front end.

Can't wait to load for this one.

Name:	IMG_20191004_190731_220.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	249263
    Last edited by Petander; 10-04-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Have the throats honed to .477" if you want to use those maybe? That sure is a purty one you got there! I am sure somebody in Finland has a Sunnen or equivalent Finnish made honing machine.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Have the throats honed to .477" if you want to use those maybe? That sure is a purty one you got there! I am sure somebody in Finland has a Sunnen or equivalent Finnish made honing machine.
    Might do that. But I'll try a .456 boolit first I think. I made these particular boolits for a friend's 470NE, these are very hard and spring back when sized with a 476 die.

This is one of those guns that makes you want it after handling it for a few seconds. I've been emailing with Mr.Reeder himself to find out what we have here. He has been very helpful.

Boolit Master
    Now I'm confused again. This info is on Reeder website:

Name:	IMG_20191011_022330_768.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	249553

Name:	IMG_20191011_022912_058.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	249554

So I wrote:

"If the frame,barrel and cylinder are yours,there's not much left of a Ruger in this gun,is there?
    Just trying to figure out what we have here."

Mr. Reeder wrote:

"The African Hunter you have is not a Ruger and has never been a Ruger. We are a licensed manufacturer just as Ruger is and the gun is a Reeder Custom, not a Ruger."

--------------------------

Then why did someone send in a Ruger in the first place ??? What am I missing?

Name:	IMG_20191011_022510_656.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	249555

Boolit Grand Master

That's a good question. I called Gary Reeder about a year ago seeing what exactly could be done to a GP100 in converting it to a 41 magnum. The guy is cranky for sure, although I saw nothing but good work from him. He seemed insulted when I asked about cutting down on the frivolous things like the sights, engraving, and trigger work (most GP100 triggers are already very good). I don't think his "engraving" is actual engraving, and is kind of ugly in my eyes. I didn't say that, but he still made it sound like all of his Skorpion revolvers, his name for the 41 mag GP100, get a scorpion on them no matter what.

From what I heard, he uses the frame and trigger. The single actions he may use the grip frame, but I believe he does his own version of a bisley too. What he does to the GP100 is modify the frame window (he doesn't get more specific than that on his website), fit a cylinder, and swap the barrel. If it was a 6 shot, he would have to change it to a 5 shot internally. I assume the 5 shot 44 specials could be used as is. So it is a lot of Ruger left, just with a Gary Reeder barrel and cylinder, whole gun worked over... and lots of engraving.

Boolit Master
    Megasupermagnum, thank you very much.

This kind of custom revolvers are rare on this side of the pond,we are not allowed to hunt with handguns. Expensive toys but I do like quality guns... I have been practising silhuette for that imaginary Safari for decades.

Name:	IMG_20191004_173501_619.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	249557

In this case,considering the price I want to know exactly what we have here before I purchase. I just bought an old Chevy Van,trusting the seller instead of checking things... a mistake. A good looking windshield had to be replaced right away,it was raining inside big time. 200 k "kilometers" turned to miles overnight. Two sets of "good condition tyres" are rock hard eight years old...

Boolit Master

Name:	20141028_150753_zps819cdc37.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	249720

Back in 2000 I got the hots for a Ruger Bisley in .41 Magnum...but at that point finding was was impossible as they had been discontinued. Saw a picture of a Reeder Long Colt Hunter and called and ordered the same gun in .41 Magnum. Has a 5-shot cylinder, 5.5" barrel, vapor honed stainless finish and black Micarta Bisley Gunfighter grip which I like a lot more than the Ruger Bisley grip.

Sights were Freedom Arms Gold Dot front with Ruger V-notch rear which I didn't care fore. Replaced the rear with a Bowen white outline and have had several different front sights in place depending on the shooting conditions. Most of the time now there is a FA green FO front as it stands out best for me.

Because the gun was built as a 5-shot I can have the .41 GNR cylinder converted to .410 GNR which is based on a .454 case instead of a .41 Magnum case. The .41 GNR would probably work well in a long barrel revolver or TC Contender but with the 5.5" barrel there is only 30 fps difference between the .41 Magnum and .41 GNR when using a 170 grain Sierra JHC bullet.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Interesting about the mv difference between the .41 mag and the GNR version. Not disagreeing with you as you got what you got. My 5.5" .41 Rhawk was a .41 mag then a .41 GNR -- I gained about 80 t0 150 fps
    my .41 GNR did better with heavier bullets as to velocity gain. the 170 did 1702; 210 Gold Dots were 1510 Fps, 225 gr Keiths were 1550fps. 255 gr wfn were 1440 .. but mine was a rechamber
    The .410 is very different -- it is as easy to make as the .41 GNR but as expected more mv
    255 gr 1630 fps. It is also a rechamber in a Rhawk… Yours being a custom would be different than mine.
    . My .41 GNR I have now is a 9" TC 210 grain cast HPGC PC from a group buy mold goes 1840fps with a medium load.
    This is also not a promotion of Gary ...nice revolver

Boolit Master
    I went to pick up a 457 Linebaugh shellholder today. I don't know what exactly happened but this 2003 Single Six followed me home:

Name:	IMG_20191016_201324_794.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	249845

Boolit Grand Master
    from what I have seen Gary Reeder does very good work
    regardless of what they are called or the original manufacturer
    I am not to hip on some of the designs but he will make them the way
    you want them
    I have been eyeing some of his work for a long time
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Super Moderator

I have had him do action jobs on a few of my SA handguns, he does a good job on those. I'm another one who doesn't really care for his "engraving", but to each his own. He also does a lot of specialty caliber Contender and Encore barrels. His shop is attached to their storefront, and both are quite small. Gary's wife Colleen is a real sweetheart, and has always been super helpful whenever I go in. I don't go in as much any more, because she raises Jack Russell terriers right there in the gun-store. It stinks like all get out in there, and that's putting it mildly.

Boolit Master
    Yeah well I returned the Single Six today,it's not right company with the Reeder Custom... It may be Christmas before I can pick it up. But I handled it again... good good...

I wonder if Mr. Reeder would customize a Single Six in 22LR? Might even ask. A stock SS just doesn't cut it as an accompanying 22...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    from what I have seen Gary Reeder does very good work
    regardless of what they are called or the original manufacturer.
    Yes,work seems good. I just got interested in details,how much Ruger do I have,date etc. I didn't mean to insult Mr Reeder by asking. If I buy this (unfired,new price), then decide I won't keep it I will have a hard time selling it. Can't sell "I don't know what or when". I don't collect, I circulate and sell everything that I don't use much. Custom is harder to sell,average folks know nothing about these.

Might pass on this after all. I also just heard of a kb accident where loading gate hit shooter's shoulder and came out from his lower back leaving a 9" wound. It was NOT the guns fault but it was a similar Reeder and I'm only human...

I think I will pass after all. It's only money but you can get five 586:s for the price.

Boolit Master
    GLynn...thanks for the information...

With a 170 grain Sierra I'm using 26.0 grains of H110 and 29 or 30 grains in the GNR. Not home right now so I'm not sure but as I recall the velocity from the 5.5" barrel was 1550 for the .41 and 1580 for the GNR. A 6.5" Blackhawk runs the .41 load at 1630.

Bob

Boolit Master
    That is a fast Ruger load. I killed a 5 pt with 29 gr of H110/fed 155/170 gr/ 5.5" Rhawk @1702

Super Moderator

I have the Complete Reloading Manual for all the Reeder GNR cartridges. If anyone needs specific data, shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gnr.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	250326

When I see GR "custom" revolvers I am reminded of Patton's quote about pearl grips.

The only reason I go into the shop is to hold the puppys.

and... since when is acid etching "Engraving" ?!?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345