RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gary Reeder custom

Vendor Sponsor

It's really about a value you cannot possibly try and rationalize with a calculator. Without this 6th sense of appreciation for the out of the ordinary because it's unique, we'd have never had a tenth of the stuff that makes our culture what it is. Drag cars, surfboards, guitars, art, written composition, there are so many things that scratch an invisible itch and I think the Reeder custom is reaching that part of the OP.

This is a neat story.. Doesn't have anything to do with this revolver, but it's along the same lines and maybe it will help some of you understand that it isn't about practicality at all, it's about something that is just cool, and that coolness alone gives it value that cannot be measured in dollars.

Allen Collins, the Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist, played a Gibson Firebird guitar with some different mods done to it that gave him "his" sound that you hear on all their classic records. One of the components of the "Allen Collins" sound, was a certain off the wall very obscure German made tremolo that he installed on this old Firebird. It is likely he got it really cheap or maybe even free, but for whatever reason, that's beside the point. For many years even people who knew him fairly well, roadies that toured with the band, his proteges, nobody knew exactly what make or model this tremolo was. Here is a photo of Allen, with the tremolo unit on the Firebird guitar, see red arrow...

I got curious and started googling weird guitar related keywords, and I FINALLY hit on an image of a German made jazz guitar from 1962, that came with the SAME tremolo installed! I had finally figured out WHAT it was, and who made it. More googling, and I sent some emails to some vintage musical instrument dealers in Germany with photos asking about any of these tremolo units. Lo and behold, I actually came up with 2 of them, at a fairly exorbitant price, but I had two of them in my hands none the less!

As scarce and rare as these pieces are, I couldn't just slap it on a guitar just to see what it sounded like, it was so cool it needed a "project" guitar all it's own that would put it in the PROPER light, on a PROPER guitar that would be my "Allen Collins Tribute Firebird" guitar.

A couple or three thousand dollars later, here it sits, a Gibson Custom Shop Firebird I guitar, with the elusive German made Hopf tremolo, complete with the exact same tremolo arm with the white plastic tip (that came from a different guitar than the tremolo came from) that pretty much replicated Allen's main Firebird that he used from Skynyrd's beginning all the way up to the Fox Theater shows in 1976..

Overall this guitar cost more than the Gary Reeder custom revolver by a goodly amount. I play it almost every day. It is my go to instrument when I want to play. I cannot assign a value to it, the creativity that it sparks is unmeasurable. When I let my fingers play and never think ahead of what notes I want to play, and just jam, I don't really think about what I am going to do next and until I hear the sound coming out of the amp, I don't have a clue what it's going to sound like.

And I first thought wow that's a lot of money for guitar parts! Ya right..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Doug I would like to hear you play sometime do you have any thing on U-Tube ?
    Loren.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Rifle 57 View Post
    Doug I would like to hear you play sometime do you have any thing on U-Tube ?
    Loren.
    Nahhh my band days came and went before youtube was popular..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Do you really need a custom 475 Linebaugh with a big compensator? What are you going to kill with it? What are you paying for? Is it worth that kind of money to have something you have no need?

Buy it it you want it...
    I have been thinking about what you've said and you are correct. Do I need this revolver? Not in the slightest. I can get done all I need doing with my 44mag. I don't know all the ins and outs of this particular gun it might be a total piece of junk. I just thought that I could get some info on it and maybe buy a custom revolver that I otherwise could not afford. But I must say if we lived our lives by needs alone we would all be much richer and perhaps duller. I was taught to listen to my elders and will do so. Thanks for all the advise.

Jon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    This is a neat story..
    It sure was. Thanks for telling it.

Boolit Master

One reason I have never asked the question, "How much is XXXX gun worth?" or "How much should I pay for this gun?", is that when talking about custom guns, one person's perception is different than the next person's.

I have a Linebaugh .475 that I bought 2nd hand, unseen, except for many many pictures. I had to totally rely on the seller's honesty and integrity. It was supposedly unfired. When I received it and inspected it, I could find no evidence of being fired. Could I have been fooled? YES! But at that point it didn't matter, I fired it soon after receiving it.

Did I need it? NO! But I sure enjoy owning it.

Did I pay too much for it? Maybe. But after owning it for 7 years and enjoying shooting it, I don't really think about it anymore.

I've got some other custom guns that I don't worry about paying too much since I dealt directly with the smiths that built them. I don't like them any more or any less than the Linebaugh gun. By the way, I checked with John Linebaugh and got the build date per his unique number on the gun. His record matched the gun I have.
    John
    W.TN

Linebaugh gets $8500 + your Ruger Bisley to make a 475 or 500 5 shot gun. He seems to sell a lot of them.

www.customsixguns.com

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-07-2016 at 03:29 AM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Nahhh my band days came and went before youtube was popular..
    Nice story Doug , I've done similar things. Why cause you want to and they make you feel better in life! And alot of time that is a lot better than recovering the money you spent.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    Well it sounds like Gary does quality work. Since I would be buying it second hand unless I over pay I shouldn't lose money on the deal down the road. I took the guys card now I need to figure out what's a far price. That's the hard part what is a far price?
    To me I always just tell myself. " If you want the thing and have the money for it? Buy the damn thing! ". You can sit forever wondering or worrying about whether you can make money or lose money down the line, nobody knows. Look at it this way, You may buy it and enjoy it so well that you ask to have it buried with you? Then you worried about nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Linebaugh gets $8500 + your Ruger Bisley to make a 475 or 500 5 shot gun. He seems to sell a lot of them. www.customsixguns.com Randy
    Did you mean to say $3800? Still an awful lot.

Take care, Tom

Banned

gary makes a good gun. Just to much bling in most of them for this guy.

Boolit Master

Before you reported the asking price, I was already thinking in my head

"about a couple grand"

I've been keeping tabs on the used market lately. Something like that is not uncommon to see an asking price of 2400, then 2200 a couple months later, then drop to 2 grand and it's gone in a couple days.

If you offered something like 1800 for a 1975 asking price, TO ME that is not insulting... And reasonable, assuming it's not too, uh, 'blingly' ans WR suggests (and I totally agree with him)

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	165593It's the upper revolver with the comp. I wasn't as interested in the bling as the smoothness of the action and the chambering. I'm interested in getting a 475. Sorry about the double pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    I have been thinking about what you've said and you are correct. Do I need this revolver? Not in the slightest. I can get done all I need doing with my 44mag. I don't know all the ins and outs of this particular gun it might be a total piece of junk. I just thought that I could get some info on it and maybe buy a custom revolver that I otherwise could not afford. But I must say if we lived our lives by needs alone we would all be much richer and perhaps duller. I was taught to listen to my elders and will do so. Thanks for all the advise.

Jon
    I think all of have been bitten by the "gotta have" bee early in our lives. But the venom grows weaker with the passing of time. It is then we realize that what we really gotta have is found in our relationships with friends and family. The material things begin to lose value. Having fun with who and what we have becomes more important that looking for the next new toy.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

Custom guns lose more then factory guns when you want to sell. Those that own custom want a profit Like spending $50,000 for an old car, put another $50,000 into restoration and expect $200,000 at sale when top bid is $40,000.
    Freedoms alone lose so much it is crazy.
    My opinion is that if a gun is for sale it is wrong. I would NEVER sell my best.
    Same old thing-BLING and BRAG. Is there a revolver on earth worth $3800 or more?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Custom guns lose more then factory guns when you want to sell. Those that own custom want a profit Like spending $50,000 for an old car, put another $50,000 into restoration and expect $200,000 at sale when top bid is $40,000.
    Freedoms alone lose so much it is crazy.
    My opinion is that if a gun is for sale it is wrong. I would NEVER sell my best.
    Same old thing-BLING and BRAG. Is there a revolver on earth worth $3800 or more?
    I would have to disagree with that statement. Maybe some do want a profit but I believe that most are like me, we appreciate them too much to sell. I will pass my very few to my sons. If they decide to sell, whatever they get will all be profit.

I don't look too often but Freedom Arms guns on GB start too high for me to consider very seriously. I haven't looked at new prices lately either. A Freedom is not a custom gun but might as well be. And I don't think one could go wrong buying a used Freedom Arms revolver. They are built like tanks.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I would have to disagree with that statement. Maybe some do want a profit but I believe that most are like me, we appreciate them too much to sell. I will pass my very few to my sons. If they decide to sell, whatever they get will all be profit.

I don't look too often but Freedom Arms guns on GB start too high for me to consider very seriously. I haven't looked at new prices lately either. A Freedom is not a custom gun but might as well be. And I don't think one could go wrong buying a used Freedom Arms revolver. They are built like tanks.
    I paid $750 for my last F/A. Right place right time, but I bet $1,500 buys lots of them. I think new BFR's are close to $1K right now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    I paid $750 for my last F/A. Right place right time, but I bet $1,500 buys lots of them. I think new BFR's are close to $1K right now.
    My used FA was $1500 w/2 extra cylinders. I just looked at GB and there was one with a start price of $.01 with a reserve and a "buy it now" of $1,795. Most of the rest were higher. I suspect that most had been shot very little, some possibly less than one box of shells.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Like others have said, if you want it and can afford it - get it. lol
    For the big bucks, just be sure it's what you want, you probably won't get your money back out of it.

Most of Garys guns are too blingy for me - and expensive.

That being said, years ago I had him convert a 357 Blackhawk to 5 shot 50AE. Plain, simple, no bling.
    The BH was bought used for $125, I put about 20,000 rounds thru it, and then spent $700 for the conversion.
    Was that a smart thing to do ? For me, you becha ! Economical ? Dunno, don't care.
    I love that cannon.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Did you mean to say $3800? Still an awful lot.

Take care, Tom
    Tom; I was talking about these. http://www.customsixguns.com/sixguns.htm

I guess these are knife and gun matched sets but the knife is worth maybe $200 and the stocks on the gun probably $300 for the Elephant Ivory.

That still leaves $8K for the gun.

I saw in his services area the $3800 number as well so I don't know what he's doing? The guns are definitely well done, but My SBH Ruger Bisley with the barrel Chopped to 5" with Weigand Front sight and Bowen Rear and bead Blasted and reblued has about $850 in it including the cost of the gun new. However it is a .44 and not a 5 shot .475 or .500 So I could see some extra there. Don't know if I could see another $3,000 or $7,000 but some people gotta have the biggest and best. Most can't shoot them, but What the Hey?

Here's what I did,,, maybe a set of Ivory Micarta Stocks are in order?

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-09-2016 at 03:41 AM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast