RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gary Reeder custom

Boolit Buddy

Gary Reeder custom

I was at a local gun show yesterday and a Gary Reeder custom Ruger caught my eye. All I can say is wow that action was smooth!! It's his African hunter model in 475 linebaugh stanless with a large comp. Well being at a gun show I though it way over priced but then again I have no idea what the going price is. Does anyone have an idea what these custom gun are worth? Being that I would have to pony up some major money is it a quality conversion? How's the shoot ability being a lighter gun in a large caliber? I guess I'm really wondering if anyone has any experience with these guns?

Thanks Jon

I don't have one but my brother has one of Garys customs in 45 colt.It is a nice gun and shoots very well.The action is very smooth also.He got his done without all the engraving and stuff and its just a very nice pistol.

Boolit Master
    Customs are expensive,,, and often do not sell for the amount spent on them,,, even when from known custom gunsmiths. Go over to www.singleactions.com & look around. A lot of stuff about customs there.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    Well being at a gun show I though it way over priced but then again I have no idea what the going price is. Does anyone have an idea what these custom gun are worth?
    Thanks Jon
    What is the owner's selling price?

Boolit Buddy
    He's asking $1975. I know a lot of value is in the condition and it was in excellent used condition.

Banned

You lose money with custom guns. You lose selling a Freedom too.
    Like putting $10,000 in a car and expect to make money. Reeder guns never shot better then a BFR out of box. They just have a funny look.

Boolit Buddy
    Gary is a ornery old fart, a good man, and a damn good gunsmith.

You could call his shop and talk with either him or his wife, and they'd likely be able to fill you in on the pistol in general.

I recall a few folks on the site having a Reeder Custom, but can't remember who at the moment...possibly Char_Gar?

Gary Reeder has prices on his web site: http://www.reedercustomguns.com/

I've done some business with him and he was accommodating and honest. Can't ask for much more.

Gary Reeder's work is as good as anybody in this country, bar none! His prices are reasonable considering it is all custom work. His styling is not traditional and some folks think it is garish, but I like it. I have found him easy to work with. He has done work for me 3 or 4 times.

About the year 2,000 or so, Jim Taylor cut a deal with Gary for a short run of 20 custom Ruger Blackhawk pistols. Each one was different, but number 1 - 20 in the series. Here is No. 5 which is mine. It is a 45 Colt.

For sights, I put a "V" notch rear and a brass bead front. This set up is not for shooting small groups, but for fast acquisition in the field. My eyes are now 16 years older and this is an excellent sight combination for me. Not as precise as others, but fast and easy to see. It was a good choice. The barrel is factory Ruger, but Gary cut if off at both end, put on a great crown, rethreaded it and put the best throat in the barrel I have ever seen. Of course he removed the instruction manual. The cylinder throats were opened up to .4525. This handgun does not lead and is quite accurate. It is as accurate as you can get with factory barrel and cylinder. To better this, it would take a custom barrel and line-bored cylinder. However, it shoots far, far better than I can hold. There are a number of other modifications as well.

It rides in a horse hide pancake style holster, which was a gift from Rob Leahy, of Simply Rugged. There is lots of friendship and memory in this pistol and rig, which makes it more that special to me.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 04-03-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    After handling 3-4 Reeder guns belonging to a friend I have to say the work is very good. I'm not into engraving but the bluing, action work, crowns, & all other custom work has been very good. I recently bought a 30 Carbine that had been through Gary's shop & had several hundred dollars work done to it, all was top notch, I like the gun a lot, including the free spin pawl, deep dish crown, Taylor throating, action job & excellent bluing.

Dick

Boolit Buddy
    Well it sounds like Gary does quality work. Since I would be buying it second hand unless I over pay I shouldn't lose money on the deal down the road. I took the guys card now I need to figure out what's a far price. That's the hard part what is a far price?

Boolit Master
    The fair price is what the market will bare. So what are you willing to pay?

Banned

Gary does good work, not what i was referring to at all. It is the price you can expect. Same with a Linebaugh or Huntington gun. All good but when you sell, can you recover the costs?
    My .475 BFR cost me $715 out the door and nothing has out shot it so would I pay $3000 for a Reeder because it looks nicer? Would I EVER buy a Freedom?
    To have a Jack Huntington revolver would be great but all I have shot only shot as good as factory.
    Only so much can be done. You get into appearance only and cost.
    To buy an expensive custom when a Ruger Hunter will do 1/2" at 50 yards Lets me wonder what you look at.
    My BFR's have done 1/2" at 100 but now I worry about them. They changed barrels and twists and they will not answer me about it.

Boolit Master
    If 2 guns shoot the same, I don't mind paying extra (to a point) for a better looking or fitted gun. BFR's are the Glock of the revolver world. Both are excellent at what they do, but neither will win any beauty contests.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Gary Reeder 510 Hunter in 510 GNR. It shoots very well and has a smooth action.

Boolit Buddy
    The real question is what to pay for a used custom? There are a few on GB right now bid up to around $1200 with 2 days left. Is that about what they go for?

Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    The real question is what to pay for a used custom? There are a few on GB right now bid up to around $1200 with 2 days left. Is that about what they go for?
    I have no idea what used Custom revolvers sell for, but I would not buy one unless it came from the Pistolsmith himself. It is quite easy to screw up handguns by doing "custom work" on them. I would want to be the one that had the work done, from a smith I knew and trusted. I have had more than one gun truly butchered by some of the best known names in the country.

Never assume that because something is sold as a "custom gun" with somebody name attatched to it, that is well done work, worth more than a box stock gun. Never every buy such a thing unless you have it in your hand to inspect and know how to evaluate worked on handguns.

I have bought several hundred handguns over the years, and I won't buy one that has been "worked on", "modified" or "customized". I only by factory stock guns that have not been messed with. It cost me allot of money to learn this.

The Reeder pistol in my pic above, was bought NIB and sent to Gary unfired.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I believe that those custom revolvers along with the Freedom Arms '83 are the finest made and $1900 doesn't sound out of line, it's less than a F/A.

Boolit Buddy
    When I posted about the Gary Reeders on GB that was for reference only. The revolver I'm considering was one I looked at and held at a gun show. Granted I do not consider myself an expert but the fit and finish was superb, action was smooth as silk and trigger was one of the best I've pulled. It looked like a safe queen to me. Which make me wonder was the recoil to much for him or is there something else a matter? Or maybe he just needs money. Hard to say.

Do you really need a custom 475 Linebaugh with a big compensator? What are you going to kill with it? What are you paying for? Is it worth that kind of money to have something you have no need?

Buy it it you want it...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast