Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning lead pots

Boolit Master

Cleaning lead pots

I don’t know if this the right place to post this but I’ll give it a try. I need a little advice. I hav a small Lee lead pot that I’ve had for quite I while and over the years it has accumulated a layer of slag, crude, or call it what you like. I’d like to clean it. I remember reading about how and what to use but it was a while ago and I don’t remember the particulars or what to use. Heck I can’t even find the post I read on it. So any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks guys
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Did you see the links in this sticky?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7-this-old-pot

Boolit Master
    Harbor freight is your source for cheap wire brushes that you can stick in a drill. Cup wheels for the bottom and regular wire wheels for the sides. And wear a dust mask when you do this. You do not want to breath in the lead dust and all the junk in the pot. I do this occasionally as the crud that collects in the pot seems to contaminate the alloys. Just walk in and get your selection of wheels. Other wise your wallet will get way lighter before you leave. Frank

Boolit Master
    This is a small Lee pot I am a little Leary of using a wire wheel on a drill. I think it might do more harm than good. I will try the peroxide and vinegar but I seem to remember reading that using, I think but not sure, borax? Anyone heard or that ?

Boolit Buddy

I once cleaned my Lee 10 pound bottom pour with a Dremal tool with a steel wire brush. It worked fine.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I only have one pot so it does it all. And i use a wire brush all the time. Then a little wet dry sand paper and a little oil . The oil burns off the next heating. Had the same pot about 15 years and its still going strong. I would spray a bit of penetrating oil and let soak a day or so. Please use safety glasses wire brush can get you.

Boolit Master

I keep a wooden flat stick beside my bottom pour pot and every so often scrape the side and bottom of the pot with it, the stick does wear out over time and usually brings some trash to the top that is easily spooned out.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Using a wire brush produces a lot of dangerous dust. For safety's sake wear a dust mask and maybe even brush the pot wet a small amount of water in the bottom. This will contain the dust if you keep the wire brush wet. Plain water works fine a little dish soap added works better but foaming may make it hard to see. You don't need to run the brush full speed of the drill motor. When using a wire brush a face shield may be appropriate also

Boolit Master
    Thank you gentlemen seems like it’s going to be easier than I thought it was going to be. I’m going to try the vinegar peroxide combined with a wire brush and see how it comes out. I did a test run on a ladle that I’ve had laying around and not used in years and years and it was kind of crushed up and it seem to work pretty good . After all these years Using this pot and never cleaning it I hope I’m not doing the wrong thing cleaning it. I have a new caster I’m going to teach and I figured it be nice if The pot we were going to use didn’t look like it went through World War I and World War II. Anyway folks thanks for a Input!
    Last edited by poppy42; 06-02-2019 at 05:51 PM. Reason: **** autocorrect!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you’re worried about a steel brush try a brass one. They have plastic fiber ones now too that might work. I bought one of the plastic fiber ones, just to see how they work, but haven’t tried it yet.

Was told second hand that an old time cure for dirty pots was to drain it as well as you could, let it cool completely, the fill with just plain water and boil the water.

Dump the water out along with the crude and reheat the completely empty pot to dry it thoroughly.

I have not done this yet. Am considering it the next time I do the annual pot clean out.

Boolit Master
    Remember that vinegar, peroxide, and lead create lead acetate when combined. This is NASTY STUFF. Don't breathe the fumes or get it on your skin or clothing. I would not dispose of it in a septic system or leach field. Others here may be able to comment on how municipal sewage systems handle chemicals like this.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Buddy

I used the boiling water method on a pot that had been fluxed with Marvelux ( or however it's spelled). Large amounts of baked on Marvelux and other crud came out. Pot was rather clean afterward.

Boolit Master
    Ok guys I figured I’d give you an update . Are use the vinegar and peroxide mix let it sit for an hour scrubbed any residual it was on the size of the pot with a small brass wire brush and other than the color caused by the heating of the pot the pot looks brand new. I completely forgot about the vinegar and peroxide I know it can be used to clean an extremely lighted barrel but as I have never had this problem I completely forgot about it. As a sidenote I wanted to see how effective the vinegar and peroxide actually was so I took a freshly cast boolet and put it in some fresh vinegar and peroxide solution put it outside and left it there. All I can say is wow ! After about 12 hours ( overnight ) A 9 mm bullet was reduced to the size of a 22 . After 24 hours the bullet was virtually gone and on identifiable . Like guys said wow! I knew it worked but I certainly did not anticipate the level and speed that it disintegrated a 9 mm bullet. Anyway thanks for all the suggestion guys!

Boolit Grand Master

I would be very careful with that mix around heating coils wiring and other electronics in the pot as it may cause problems there also. In older pots is would affect the solder joints in the wiring.

Boolit Master
    what was your ratio vinegar to peroxide mixed I wish to remove lead solder from a brass ornament that had poorly done repair

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    what was your ratio vinegar to peroxide mixed I wish to remove lead solder from a brass ornament that had poorly done repair
    50:50 I’ve known that it worked. It’s been an old tome remedy for a badly leaded bore. Plug one of the barrel with a cork or something and fill the barrel with the solution. I’ve never had to use it so I never really knew how well it works. I was completely amazed at how it dissolved a bullet ! I would imagine a minuscule amount that remained of the bullet was nothing more than whatever other medals that were in the wheel weights because the bullet was cast from 100% clip on wheel weights . Anyway I was totally amazed at how well it dissolved the lead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I would be very careful with that mix around heating coils wiring and other electronics in the pot as it may cause problems there also. In older pots is would affect the solder joints in the wiring.
    Yeah I would imagine it could cause some serious havoc on some soldered wiring.

I have an old hack saw blade. Ground off what was left of the teeth. Wrapped one end with black tape for a handle, Leaving enough to reach bottom of pot.
    I drain the pot. While pot still hot I use my cleaning tool to scrap the crud off the sides and bottom. Dump out the crud. Repeat as needed to get the pot clean.
    Leo

Boolit Mold
    I use the water method to clean my pots with excellent results.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast