MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: .30-40 Krag Brass

Boolit Grand Master

.30-40 Krag Brass

Not a casting question per se. Does anyone know if .30-40 brass is discontinued?? Midway said it was discontinued by them, but didn't know if it was by Remington and Winchester.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

To the best of my knowledge it is "seasonal production". Originally that meant that they didn't make it all the time, but that and other less popular cases were to be made just one run per year. Now it seems that in some instances that is once every-other year, but I don't know if that applies to the .30-40. I notice that there's always someone trying to buy some on the Forum, but honestly I've never had any trouble buying it in lots of 100 if I shop around the big distributors.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    snip...
    To the best of my knowledge it is "seasonal production". .
    That's my understanding as well. It is something I started noticing during the rise of metals/commodity prices during 2008 and 2009. and the increased demand because of Obama ...Some brass case prices went up a little, others skyrocketed. I soon learned that some calibers were seasonal produced (probably because of the demand of common calibers), and the longer it had been since the "run", the higher the prices on gunbroker. FYI, I've seen "sold" prices on gunbroker auctions for new Rem 30-40 brass, higher than $2 per rd.

As to Midway...maybe if they are unable to get a product for 12 months or so, they choose to call it discontinued, as opposed to backordered.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

We've been currently discussing...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...idway-QUESTION
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Wow! I looked at the link supplied by TenTea and it appears that there's a big problem. In the past I was able to count on Black Hills Shooter's Supply for most brass needs, sometimes Graf, sometimes Natchez, etc. I bet Starline will eventually come through for us.

Boolit Grand Master

And I though my habit of laying in, at least, a K of X1 brass for each new caliber was foolhardy. Turns out my hoarding of range brass and lead along with wheel weights is not to be laughed at.
    I sure feel sorry for the new guys.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    And I though my habit of laying in, at least, a K of X1 brass for each new caliber was foolhardy. Turns out my hoarding of range brass and lead along with wheel weights is not to be laughed at.
    I sure feel sorry for the new guys.
    I'm good.
    I'll lay in other 100 pieces and that should last me till my eyesight is no more.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Makes me fondly remember when mixed headstamp brass for less common calibers went for bargain basement prices on E-bay. Of course, E-bay has since banned components. But for me, a few buys done on a whim because of the dime or less per a round cost have pretty much saved me with 7mm, 8mm Mauser and 35 Remington. What a lucky break.

In Remembrance
    Many have said that just taking a 303 British case and in a single stroke turn them into 30-40 Krag.

Well I just did that for ****z and grins and although real easy to do the case length is 2.230 and the spec on 30-40 brass is 2.314-.020.

So it can be done but with a case that's .065-.070 under spec length.

Head diameter for the Krag is .545-.010 and the head diameter on the 303 I just did is .532 which is just a tad under spec.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    With as many people shooting .30-40's (and not just in Krags, either) I just cannot imagine somebody picking up the slack.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, Jamison is making 405 & 35 Winchester, which is the same basic case in different calibers and lengths. Problem might be cost, currently 35 Winchester is running 1.60 a case. But at least they already have most of the tooling setup needed for production. Also Hornady and Prvi Partizan are making 303 British, again they have most of the tooling needed for 30-40 Krag and their brass is a lot cheaper.
    25-20 is another case that has been dropped by all of the makers, hopefully Starline will save us there as they already make 32-20, again they have most of the tooling needed.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bell Extrusion may make it, but it'll cost. Do you want it or don'tya??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel