Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage bolt 30-06 CB's

Boolit Bub

Savage bolt 30-06 CB's

I need a cast boolit(s) suggestion for the Savage bolt in 30-06.

I have tried the Magnus 165 RNFP and the boolit drops in the barrel to the first drving band. First the accuracy at 50 yds was mediocre and the boolits were yawing when they entered the target. The loads I tried were probably too hot, 12 and 13 Unique and 20 H4227, I seated the boolits for the first driving band to touch the rifling. I'm going to try 8 and 9 Unique. I'm after accuracy only.

I like the price of the Lee moulds, but I don't think the boolit design will work in the Savage rifling.

Sugestions, please........

Gene Perryman

I have had several of those "cheap" Savage rifles and the accuracy was no less than great, even with cast bullets. Never tried Unique but IMR 4227 worked fine as well as several other slower powders, and the velocities were in the 1800 to 2000 fps area. I suspect the bullets are your problem. For the cost of a thousand of those bullets, you can buy a good Lyman or RCBS mold and a Lee .310 sizer, a cast Iron skillet from a garage sale, and you're in business.
    Last edited by Scrounger; 05-08-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Super Moderator

...........Hello Gene and welcomes upon you. Thanks for joining the clan!

"I'm after accuracy only."

It's fun and sure beats the unpredictability of the alternative.

"I like the price of the Lee moulds, but I don't think the boolit design will work in the Savage rifling."

Not aware of any issues with Savage rifling? Are you maybe thinking Marlin Micro-Gruv? Checking the CBA results shows a VERY strong Savage presence. In fact, for make very often they predominate.

As Scrounger said, I too suspect your boolit. Especially since your stated it dropped in to the top drive band. Testing in the muzzle I suspect? An issue with bore riders is that if they don't ride they don't shoot very well. I actually like to see a bit of light engraving myself.

I have 2 suggestions for Lee designs. One is the C309-200R, and if you can size, the other would be the C312-185R. That later would allow sizing to the throat, and the nose WILL engrave. The heavier 200 gr slug is just a good design. With either design and no sweat on your part, they should bunch 5-10 rounds in an inch at 50 yards.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Bub
    Buckshot,
    I just read the archives on Lee moulds, now I 'm probably going to go for a Lyman or RCBS. Any sugestions???
    Gene

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Perryman View Post
    Buckshot,
    I just read the archives on Lee moulds, now I 'm probably going to go for a Lyman or RCBS. Any sugestions???
    Gene
    MOst any of either make. Lyman 311291 the quintessential 30 cal slug , but my first was the old 311284. For the RCBS, well it's about the same, as most any are great. The 165 sil and the 30-180 seem to get the most press.

However, lets not forget the Lee C309-113F. It's a 'gotta have'.

Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Hi, Gene. Everybody has to get into the act when favorite .30 cal. moulds are mentioned. Mine is Lyman 314299. I use it sized to .310, .312, or .314 depending on which of five different .30 and .31 cal. chamberings it is being used for.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master
    As Buckshot said, DON'T pass up the Lee C113F in the 30-06 for 150 yard and under shooting. Using 9 grains of the shotgun/pistol powders velocity is around 15-1600 fps and accuracy is excellent with my own Savage 110 30-06. The Savage rifling has absolutely no problem with this bullet, and it is all body, not a bore rider.

The mould price is low and if you are not ham handed it will last for a long time, easily recouping your investment. The bullet is very useful for practice, plinking, and small game hunting, as a .32-20 is easily duplicated with very good accuracy.

I've bagged a lot of varmints and small game using 9.0 W231 and the Lee 113F. I have three of these moulds, so that will give you some idea of what I think of it.

With lead prices being what they are, a bullet that is accurate and economical on lead is a good idea.

30-06......RCBS 30-180-FN...........20 grs. of 2400. This is what works in mine........Creeker

Boolit Bub

30-06 CB's

Buckshot and NVcurmudgeon:

What diameter does the Lee 185 and 200's come out of the mold?
    What diameter does the Lyman 311266 and 314266 come out of the mold?
    I may try one of the Lee molds as they are 1/3 the price of the Lyman!!!!
    I,m leaning toward the Lyman 311672 as its not a bore riding and the 160 wt. Does anyone know the as cast diameter of it?
    Thanks for your help fellows,

Gene Perryman

I tried some of the Magnus 165's at 50 yds behind 7grns of AA#5. It did not lead the barrel, was sorta accurate, and boy was it dirty.

Boolit Master

Don't know if this info helps you or not but I use the Lee 185 and 200 with straight ww and the 185 comes out at .312 and the 200 comes out at .310. At least this is my cast bullets and measurements.

Boolit Grand Master

Buckshot,
    Gene
    Lyman 311291. Load over 26, 27 or 28 gr of 4895 with a 3/4 gr dacron filler.

Lyman 311299. Load over 28 gr of 4895 with a 3/4 gr dacron filler.

Cases imaterial as long as same make/lot and uniform. Best is if they are well fire formed to your rifles chamber and then NS'd. I use WLR primers but other standard primers work as well. I also use Hornady GCs and Javelina lube (50/50 alox/beeswax).

Larry Gibson

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    I need a cast boolit(s) suggestion for the Savage bolt in 30-06.

I have tried the Magnus 165 RNFP and the boolit drops in the barrel to the first drving band. First the accuracy at 50 yds was mediocre and the boolits were yawing when they entered the target. The loads I tried were probably too hot, 12 and 13 Unique and 20 H4227, I seated the boolits for the first driving band to touch the rifling. I'm going to try 8 and 9 Unique. I'm after accuracy only.

I like the price of the Lee moulds, but I don't think the boolit design will work in the Savage rifling.

Sugestions, please........

Gene Perryman
    If your really interested in accuracy, you need to find what the dimensions of your chamber neck, throat and rifling origin are via a lead impact slug of these areas. Then you will have the necessary data to pick a mold for your rifle instead of trying mold after mold to find one that fits correctly. There are many posts in the archives which will help once you have the dimensions.

Try increasing your Unique charge instead of lowering it. Unique needs proper pressure to burn right. I'm using between 15.0 and 16.5 grains with both a 180 and 220 grain boolit in my 30'06 with fine 100 yard accuracy. Both bullets are gas checked.

Super Moderator

Buckshot and NVcurmudgeon:

Will depend upon alloy, casting temps, and your mould but for me generally it's (drive band-nose) .312"x302" and .309-10"x.300". The nose is long enough on the 200 grain slug so that if it just touches it should work well.

What diameter does the Lyman 311266 and 314266 come out of the mold?

You mean 311299 and 314299? Same caveates as above and .310"x.301" and .314"x.302". As above these are round numbers and there may/can be an added or missing tenth in there

I may try one of the Lee molds as they are 1/3 the price of the Lyman!!!!

Lee moulds are a good deal, and no doubt but a Lyman mould can be handed down to your grandkids. So can a Lee, but it will be unused, slightly used or worthless. There is no contest in survivability between cast iron and aluminum. With care and thoughtfull use (get some Bullplate lube) you'll get your moneys' worth from the Lee.

I,m leaning toward the Lyman 311672 as its not a bore riding and the 160 wt. Does anyone know the as cast diameter of it?

Sorry, I don't.

Thanks for your help fellows,

Gene Perryman

I tried some of the Magnus 165's at 50 yds behind 7grns of AA#5. It did not lead the barrel, was sorta accurate, and boy was it dirty.

Boolit Master

I just bought one of these molds, slightly used, at Kittery Trading Post for $25.00 Mine drops the boolits at .310 on the bands, the nose is .300 cast from wheel weights. No shooting experience with it though.
    Maineboy

How are doing on your rifle & mold?

Boolit Master
    So far my McGowen-barreled Savage 30-06 is shooting a 200 grain LBT bullet into about and inch for three shots at 100 yards. 47 grains H4350 with .7 gr filler. Velocity is 2300-2350 out of 24 inch tube. Still got lots of work to do, but so far so good.

Boolit Master
    try 16gr of 4227. I've found that to be the sweet spot in several rifles.
    Some where between here and there.....

Banned

the rcbs 150 fn g/c is the only boolit i have achieved any accuracy in my savage 0-6.
    the rcbs 165 silh looks and measures like it would be a perfect fit but it shot like crap.
    the 150 fn shoots nice in the 30-30 too and runs through a model 92 like butter.

Boolit Master
    I dont have a Savage 06, but in my Springfield 1903 I have had good luck with 13.5gr of Red Dot and a 165gr Ranch Dog bullet.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast