Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Potter automatic duplex flea market find

Boolit Master

Potter automatic duplex flea market find

last wed. I decided to Go to the Flea market. In our area NJ, there is generally nothing. While passing a Table , I noticed a familiar handle. When i asked the guy. he pulled this out. I started to get Chest Pains.
    He then said It was a grommet machine. I knew then he did not have a clue. . he then showed me how to make Grommets. It also was not my job to educate Him. I told him I wanted to make a lamp out of it. I did not Jump @ his first price . I like to dicker. So we danced for about a half hour. Since he got it for free. and what I got it for. I was very, very happy. . The piece was encrusted in dirt and grime. After2 days cleaning Here is the result. Automatic Duplex, #48 dates I think 1948?. dies in 270 winchester. . The machine total works. but seems to have a small primer feed. #2 on the slide. . Possible Other items . But the guy would not have Known.
    Well here the Photo.
    My lucky day
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    That is damn cool! I dream of finding stuff like this!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

So what is that thing worth?

I go to hundreds of garage sales every year. You would not believe the things, related to our hobby, that people have with no idea of what they are. Lead,solder and cast iron corn bread molds are common and cheap. Last year I picked up a Foster case trimmer (new in the box) for $5.00. At another a lady was happy that I would get rid of 50# of 8 shot for her for free. To me, garage sales are like treasure hunting. And I love hunting.

Boolit Master
    Congrats Sal, fantastic find!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Just looked at it again, wow you even got the spent primer drawer with it! So many times those are missing.

Great find Sal!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    So what is that thing worth?
    10-15 bucks IMHO at a flea market. Any more will spoil them.

Boolit Master

Salpal,

The Automatic Duplex presses were made from 1940 to 1966. 1500 units manufactured in total. It was Potter's most popular press.
    The powder measure (more accurately "powder hopper") on your press was manufactured from 1936 to 1950. Powder Hoppers manufactured while Potter was located in Syracuse NY (1936 - 1941), will have "Potter Eng. Co. Syracuse N.Y." cast into their sides. In 1950 Potter introduced the "visible powder measure", which had a clear, round plastic powder reservoir tube and cast iron cap. -- In your case, the hopper reads only "Potter" which means it was made sometime after 1941, but before changing to the visible powder measure in 1950.

The same thing goes for the base of your press. If it was made before 1941, it would read "Syracuse NY" around its edge. After '41 Potter moved to Cazenovia, NY, and thus the reference to Syracuse was removed from the base casting.

The Sub-base assembly with primer catch tray was offered as an accessory. As Lubedude noted, many of the primer catch trays have been lost or broken.

Nice find. Enjoy!
    Jon

Boolit Master
    Yep, one of those hi-velocity grommet machines. I'll bet you got tired of only finding tumblers.

Boolit Buddy
    That is a very cool press. Excellent Find.

I found a very nice Dunbar at a show. The seller only new it was some kind of press. He offered it for $20. I brought it home.

Treasure hunting - what a way to spend time.

Isaac