RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Long Ammo???

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggests using jmorris techinque on STANDARD VELOCITY .22 LR ammo ONLY!
    If I did this for my .22 RF LONG Bernardelli pistol, case head would blow out....

Boolit Master
    Yes, it is the Colt Lightning rifle that is the subject of this thread, and for that it should work very well.

Boolit Bub
    I shoot the Aguila Super Colibri bullets out of my two Marlin 81 bolt rifles and a Henry lever gun. I have been doing this for about 6-7 years and have shot more than 5k. I have never had one not exit the barrel. I use them for any squirrel who looks at my garden. Head shots are very effective. I know this is a bit off topic but wanted to set the record straight

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    The 22 Long was an unusual concept. Jack O'Connor mentioned that some thought they could up the velocity over a LR but never did. My father mentioned that during the depression a box of longs cost between the shorts and the LR's Something like 13 cents for the shorts, 14 for the longs and 15 for the LR's. A lot of game was shot with shorts as pennys had some value back then and they killed game. They were not as accurate as the LR nor more effective than a short. Went the way of other rim fires from the past such as the Winchester auto rifle and the Winchester 22 using the 45 grain bullet at about 1400. There were also the Stevens 25 and 32 rimfires that failed. Mostly my father claimed that they cost more to feed and as the 22's were cheaper and did the jop they lost popularity.
    Most rifles like the old Mossberg my father had were marked for all three. Today we do not see that probably due to feeding issues. Shorts are now pretty spendy and harder to find. Kind of a pity really as my daugher cleaned out a few pest in the yard with an old bolt action SS and shorts I bought her.

DP
    In his book " The Hunting Rifle", Copyright 1970, Jack O'Connor states that, speaking of the 22 long; "It is believed in the trade that the reason people demand it is that they get it mixed up with the better 22 Long Rifle. My own explanation is that it is demanded by boys who are convinced that the combination of the 22 short bullet with the 22 Long Rifle case makes a fast stepping and powerful number. When I was a moppet I was a great user of 22 longs in my marlin pump, and that is the reason I bought them." Mr. O'Connor goes on to completely discredit this Idea.
    Oklahoma. Quite possibly the reddest state in the U.S.A. 77 counties, 2 elections, and not a single one went for B.O. Uh make that 3 elections, we didn't care much for Hillary either.

Boolit Mold
    do they still make the bb caps, or the cb caps for the 22 cal. guns

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by darttip View Post
    do they still make the bb caps, or the cb caps for the 22 cal. guns
    At this time, no. The manufacturers are busy making .22LR and there isn't enough demand for the other .22 types of cartridges. Maybe if the demand slows down so they are caught up, then they might. Also if someone was to place a paid order for something like one million rounds of one of the other .22's then they would likely make them pretty quickly. One problem is I don't think that anyone is placing orders for the .22 CBs, .22 shorts, .22 longs, thus they aren't making what isn't selling.

I remember shooting .22 CB's at some gun arcades many years ago. But that has been a very long time now. Today they use laser sight guns or video games with computers controlling it and thus they don't need to actually have people shoot real guns anymore. so that would kill demand as the modern devices are much cheaper to operate.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 06-01-2016 at 03:25 PM. Reason: add more information

Boolit Master
    Another thought I had is that some people have shown that you can cut or trim the nose of the bullets back to get them to fit in the shorter action guns. One could pull the bullets pour out the powder charge, it isn't much, trim the cartridge case down, leave the powder charge out, and put the bullet back in with a trimmed down shorter nose on it. Also one could clean the CB cap cases out and reload with new primer material too and maybe just use pellet gun pellets. You can read about it in the reloading thread here in this forum.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 06-02-2016 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typo correction

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kerreckt View Post
    I shoot the Aguila Super Colibri bullets out of my two Marlin 81 bolt rifles and a Henry lever gun. I have been doing this for about 6-7 years and have shot more than 5k. I have never had one not exit the barrel. I use them for any squirrel who looks at my garden. Head shots are very effective. I know this is a bit off topic but wanted to set the record straight
    Be careful advising the use of Super Colibri's in a rifle. It is not a safe practice. There is a reason for the warning on the box. I have had the Super Colibri bullets lodge in the 24" barrel of a Remington 581 several times. If you don't hear the impact of the bullet you had better check your barrel.
    If you say you can't, you probably won't.

In Remembrance

I had someSuper Clolibris given to me and the second round stuck the bullet in the barrel. I still have the rest of the box.

Boolit Mold
    Check out an app on your smartphone or tablet called AmmoSeek. On there it will show you who has what

Boolit Master
    I miss the little c b shorts . A pocket full of fun on a tweety bird safari around the farm when I grew up .

I have a few shorts in my collection and have wanted a Lightning for years. The fact that after I shoot up my supply with a lightning, I'm stuck with the question, What do I do now??? Ha. I still want one though and if I find a shooter that I don't have to sell my first born to get, I may jump on it. Very good thread. Thanks for all the facts.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master
    GONRA notes ya'll CANNOT (safely) trim .22 LR to .22 LONG
    and use it in a .22 LONG Bernadelli Baby pistol.

Maybe in lottsa olde US&A rifles, but NOT this pistol.

Chamber pressure will STILL be "to high" and case head will fail.
    Disassemble yer Bernadelli and understand how the ejector verks...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA suggests using jmorris techinque on STANDARD VELOCITY .22 LR ammo ONLY!
    If I did this for my .22 RF LONG Bernardelli pistol, case head would blow out....
    Why would case head blow out?

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez .22 LONG RF Bernadelli Babys hava (what appears to be) "center fire firing pin" hole in the breech face.
    This is the EJECTOR PIN hole. If chamber pressure is too much, cartridge case head will blow out a brass disc.
    Just like any "rupture disc, pressure safety disc, burst disc, bursting disc, burst diaphragm, etc." used in industrial equipment would do.

Pretty sure .22 Long Rifle Rimfire ammo can usually have too high chamber pressure to be safely modified.

No one wants to try and wreck their cute little Bernadelli Baby!

Boolit Master
    According to My References SAAMI lists the .22 long with a MAP of 24,000psi; the Same as the .22 Long rifle.
    So How Could the .22 Long Rifle generate MORE pressure Than a .22 Long in that Auto pistol?
    Chev. William