Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Long Ammo???

Boolit Buddy

.22 Long Ammo???

Any known sources for .22 Long (not LR) ammo?

(have to feed a Colt Lightning, now that it's up and running).

Thx in advance guys!

I saw a few boxes of Aguila brand 22 long at a local store a couple of months ago. You may be able to get a local gun store to order some for you.

Boolit Master

will short work, maybe that will be easier to find.

The only long that I have are CCI long CB but they still make them and they feed even in LR actions where shorts will not.

Boolit Master

For the past couple of years I have not seen any .22 Long,,,,
    I am finding Long Rifle and short
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Bub
    I can find them occasionally but not often, I got some from a gentleman off facebook last year. I have a Win. 1890 and it shoots only longs. CCI and Aquila are only ones that are making any is seems. At gun shows it will sometimes show up and online auctions too. Happy Hunting

Boolit Buddy

thx for the replys!....just happened on 2 boxes of old stock at LGS an hour ago...been looking for months...

This particular Colt lightning doesn't feed shorts reliably, hoping longs do better...understand some do, some don't.

Any more tips for .22long sources most appreciated!

Ron

Boolit Master
    Loong ago, after getting a tiny Bernadelli Baby Vest Pocket pistol,
    GONRA was scared that .22 long rimfire ammo would "disappear".
    Gotta 5000 rd. case of CCI manufacture and never regretted it.

Boolit Master
    Cabelas seems to have a few boxes of longs on the shelf. I was at our nearby Cabelas out here and I saw a few boxes on the shelf. They had a lot of boxes of the different kinds Eley 22 LR target ammo too. I think with everyone going wild over 22 LR's that the ammo manufacturers haven't been interested in running off 22 longs or 22 shorts much. It probably takes the dealers or distributors to place a order large enough to make their interest in making them.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 04-02-2016 at 10:12 PM. Reason: add more information

The 22 Long was an unusual concept. Jack O'Connor mentioned that some thought they could up the velocity over a LR but never did. My father mentioned that during the depression a box of longs cost between the shorts and the LR's Something like 13 cents for the shorts, 14 for the longs and 15 for the LR's. A lot of game was shot with shorts as pennys had some value back then and they killed game. They were not as accurate as the LR nor more effective than a short. Went the way of other rim fires from the past such as the Winchester auto rifle and the Winchester 22 using the 45 grain bullet at about 1400. There were also the Stevens 25 and 32 rimfires that failed. Mostly my father claimed that they cost more to feed and as the 22's were cheaper and did the jop they lost popularity.
    Most rifles like the old Mossberg my father had were marked for all three. Today we do not see that probably due to feeding issues. Shorts are now pretty spendy and harder to find. Kind of a pity really as my daugher cleaned out a few pest in the yard with an old bolt action SS and shorts I bought her.

DP

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    The 22 Long was an unusual concept. Jack O'Connor mentioned that some thought they could up the velocity over a LR but never did.
    The Short came out around 1857, the Long around 1871 and the Long Rifle around 1887. So the Long was not brought about to increase the velocity over the Long Rifle.

I have a Colt lightning as well. I have used shorts in it but prefer longs. 12 years ago when I got it, I was cleaning out gunshops of any 22 long I could find, as a result I have Remington, Winchester, CCI and Federal. I believe federal was the most powerful. I even have some HP. But I mostly shoot this in my rural subdivision with Super Colobri (same dimension as 22 long and very quiet) CCI CB long is my favorite with some more punch and still quiet enough. Good luck and let us know how it shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    The Short came out around 1857, the Long around 1871 and the Long Rifle around 1887. So the Long was not brought about to increase the velocity over the Long Rifle.
    Interesting bit of history. Just quoted O'Connor. Knew the short was a very old cartridge.

DP

Boolit Master
    a Quote from "Ammoguide Interactive":
    "Externally identical to the .22 Long Rifle, the .22 Long is older by 16 years, first appearing in the 1871 Great Western Gun Works catalog chambered in the seven shot "Standard" revolver. Within a few years, this rimfire cartridge would be offered in rifles in the catalogs of other manufacturers.

The .22 Long was originally loaded with a 29 grain bullet and 5.0 grains of fine blackpowder. With the advent of smokeless powders, both standard and "Hi-Velocity" offerings would emerge. The .22 Long Rifle would appear in 1887 with a slightly heavier 40 grain bullet.

Ballistically, the .22 Long falls between the .22 Short and the .22 Long Rifle as one might expect. Considered by many to be outdated, the .22 Long is still produced by CCI as stock #0029 (factory ballistics noted above)."

I wonder if the lower Velocity loads (Subsonic, etc.) of .22LR would function in your Lighting? the Obvious difference is the slight Case length difference and the Heavier Bullet involved.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 05-07-2016 at 07:22 PM.

22 LR is too long for the action of a Colt lightning. Back when the lightning was introduced, it was 22 short or 22 long. The rifling twist of the lightning is optimized for the 29 grain bullet as well with a slower twist than what a long rifle uses.

Boolit Master
    The Aguila Super Colibri cartridge is actually marginally shorter than the .22 Long, and would surely feed in the Colt Lightning of any vintage. Of course it is a sort of long-cased CB cap, powered only by the primer. Velocity is extremely low, and they advise against its use in rifles, as bullets may lodge in the barrel. Even hitting a lodged bullet with so little pressure could cause a slight ring in the barrel, but nobody ever got sued for warning against an accident which didn't happen, and it just might never lodge. If you really can't get the genuine Long, and if you can put up with casual amusement or small small pest control while making sure you have a bang and an impact for every shot, it might fill the gap.

There is some 22 long on Gunbroker right now but it's pricey. Like $75.00/500 pricey, plus shipping.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    22 LR is too long for the action of a Colt lightning. Back when the lightning was introduced, it was 22 short or 22 long. The rifling twist of the lightning is optimized for the 29 grain bullet as well with a slower twist than what a long rifle uses.
    "
    Cartridge Name

Bullet
    Diameter

Shoulder
    Width

Body
    Width

Rim
    Width

Case
    Length

Case
    Capacity
    .22 Long .223 .224 .225 .276 .590 4.2
    .22 CB Long .223 .224 .225 .276 .597 4.3
    "
    A .007" difference in cartridge length is too much variation for a "Lighting" action???
    Chev. william

Just a thought but some years ago a friend of mine made a die that was not unlike a case gauge, he used it and a sander to "flat tip" 22lr rounds. The reduced OAL and weight might make it work for you.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast