RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have accumulated more molds that I realized!

Boolit Master
    I would have to look, but I do believe I have that many 30 caliber moulds...

Boolit Master
    Remember all those old women that had about a million salt & pepper shakers in the house when we were kids. I understand now.

Paul,

I know exactly what you mean about finding stuff you've forgotten about. I was going through one of my gun safes and found a Winchester Model 94 .44 Magnum in the back of it. I didn't remember buying it, so I had to call the FFL dealer I did most of my buying from and he looked it up in his book and told me when I bought it. That's pretty sad when you buy a rifle and forget you've got it..

I'm glad you were finally able to get at least one of those H&G 10 cavity molds to work. I had one of them surface ground many years ago, but the mold was too heavy to cast for very long with.

I know someone on this board who might want to buy your Walther if you decide to sell it, and he's not that far from you.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    My wife knows that when i kick it, my guns are to go to my shooting mates, her choice to sell or give away. If they are also gone, they are to go to a gun shop to be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    New gun (Walther PPQ 45) arriving at FFL by end of day ... one new mold on hand, another on the way.
    Let us know how you like it! I'm trying to hold off as I only do 9mm and 22tcm right now.... Got a 9mm and new 22 PPQ Really want the 45.......

Boolit Master
    1.223/3.357/3.308./1.45round ball,don't have a 45yet.want another .308 mould with flat nose for a mate's 3030.I'm addicted, my wife's fault she bought me my first mould.that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    And to think I started out with a single cavity 146 gr. Lyman mold for my one and only .357 Magnum Blackhawk in about 1966. I had a small cast iron pot that hung from a hook at the corner of my loading bench and I used a propane torch and dipper. Fast forward to today, and I'm like Starreloader, with a fortune in casting and reloading gear and 4 gunsafes that are completely full and some guns stashed in closets and under beds...

Some of those guns are specifically for shooting circling buzzards, so don't get too close while I'm still kicking..........

Fred
    Nearly exact same start for me , in 1967 ! Still have the Ruger Blackhawk , Lyman mould, dipper and cast iron pot...would you believe my dear departed Mom would let me cast boolits on her kitchen stove ? As long as I kept everything on an old cookie sheet and cleaned up real good she didn't mind. She was a great mom.
    Gary

Gary,

I tried it on the kitchen stove, but made the mistake of having a little spill, so the ex-wife banned me from casting in the kitchen anymore. Of course, she wasn't my ex-wife then......

My original Blackhawk is long gone, but has been replaced by over a dozen others in various calibers, but the pot, mold and dipper are buried somewhere in my shop. I had been reloading for about 4 years when I started casting, and the accumulation of molds and casting equipment even bewilders me sometimes. I've got more into bullet casting equipment than my first house cost........ Now, that's scary!

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Started out when I was 55 yrs old ... why oh why did I want so long? Bought a 2 cav 148 gr TL mold to cast for my .38 snub. It sure had grown from there.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

I started reloading when I was 19, and started casting when I was 23. Man, that was a long time ago! Now up to reloading 31 different calibers and casting for all the handgun calibers, plus a couple of rifles. If you don't keep an eye on it, it'll grow and grow and............

Fred

Boolit Buddy

I have 15 moulds for my Smith carbine. CW .52 cal, just sayin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Wow! While looking for a missing top punch I checked my mold boxes and came to realize that I have 15 boolit molds (plus one more on the way, a Lyman 452460).
    That is just black powder guns right
    That sure crept up on me in the last seven years of casting!

Of course, I also have a selection of fishing weight and jig molds.

Randy
    That is just for the black powder guns right!

Boolit Master
    stareloader, 45workhorse, carbine, reloaderfred, and any other veterans in this thread... Thanks for your service!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    When you get another couple hundred, you'll be up with me......... Plus a couple of casting machines, Lube Master, several Star sizers, etc.......

When I die, the buzzards are going to have a field day!

Fred
    I don't know if you married, Fred, but if you are... She is going to hear some variation of, "I'm so sorry for your loss, Fred always told me to make sure I helped you take care of all the gun related junk he had accumulated. Can I have a key to the shop so I can get started?"

Yep, I'm married, and my wife is a shooter, too. She knows who to contact, and who to keep away. And she can shoot well enough to keep the wrong ones away.........

I helped an FFL friend several times with valuations of gun collections for widows, and he never went in with the idea of buying anything, just giving the widow a fair valuation of what she had, based on the Blue Book of Gun Values, and the condition of the firearms. He never made an offer to buy, but several times he took guns on consignment and got the widows fair prices. Unfortunately, he was rare in this business, and now suffers from macular degeneration and is slowly going blind, so he's given up his FFL and his business.

Fred

Boolit Master

I have just begun. My entire collection consists of a single 2-cavity mold. Gotta start somewhere, right?

Boolit Buddy
    Really have no idea how many I have now but I did pick up 300 last year from the estate of someone crazier than me.

Boolit Master
    GONRA wonders if there is any thread that deals with "estate disposition" stuff ReloaderFred mentions.
    At only 79 years olde, realize there are DECADES more to follow (joke)
    but its really difficult to figgerout how to ditch all this stuff.
    BATF/NFA issues, some crazy firearms are Really Pricy now.
    Can't doit whlst in "good health" 'cause life's OVER without my machine shop, guns, ammo and much more tricky stuff.
    Am trying to leave extensive notes for survivers in case I "just drop over".

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmm. 15 molds. Well, you have a good start. Welcome to the addiction.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have as many molds as most of you guys. I never cared about casting for any of my rifles except for the 45-70. I do have a couple of trusted friends that would not cheat my wife if she sells my stuff after I'm gone. I also have a will leaving my guns to my 2 Sons, one of which is a reloader. I hope to get him into casting but with a young family his spare time is scarce.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast