Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Looking for as slug load data, any help?

Looking for as slug load data, any help?

Looking for any info for slug data for use with a 12.5" smooth bore 870. I am a rookie with slugs and a minor leaguer with shotgun shells. I have loaded many skeet loads on my trusted MEC 600jr enough to keep that hobbit, I mean hobby in check.

I have a few requirements for this project. It must use a hull around the slug and must be around the 950~1025 feet per second range. Want to play with them in a SBS and salvo 12 suppressor.

Am I chasing pipe dreams on this or is their a Guru of the Gauge that can guide me?

Boolit Grand Master

I am assuming 12 ga? And by "hull around the slug" I am assuming you mean shotcup?

What slug? What Hulls? What powder(s)? What range will you be shooting and what accuracy do you expect to see?

Certainly no reason you can't load slugs with your MEC 600 Jr. but we need more info.

Why the "must" for 925 to 1025 FPS?

For simple loading I find it hard to beat a round ball loaded into a shotcup. Good loads should stay within 4" at 50 yards... though with such a short barrel maybe not. They do through my slug guns though. Mine are all smoothbore but longer barrel than yours.

Next in line for easy loading and decent accuracy would be the Lee Drive Key slug (1 oz. or 7/8 oz.) and the Lyman sabot slug, both of which are designed to be loaded into shoutcups.

With some more information we can likely get you pointed in the right direction.

Longbow

Do a Google search, I just did and found a number of folks discussing their subsonic slugs and shot loads. I am not going to link the articles as I have no idea if they are good loads or BS.

Good luck,

BB
    Last edited by bikerbeans; 03-31-2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: tablet autocorrect hates me

Boolit Buddy
    I'd start with fast burn Powder. like 700X. I understand the Velocity requirement to keep the Noise down with the Suppressor. I am not familiar with the Design of your Suppresor, but would caution against any part of the Wad Column that could lodge in there. Perhaps a Slug in the CSD or other unslit Wad would be the best Choice to avoid any Issues. You also don;t want and Baffle Strikes that would damage the Supprerssor. I do have a load that is Subsonic, but it's an 880 Grain Slug for Rilfed Bores.

I think it would give You too much muzzle Blast as it uses Longshot Powder. Longshot moves the Pressure curve further down the Bore.
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Boolit Buddy
    My understanding is that all shotgun suppressors are designed to work with wads, so the way I'd approach this would be to find a conventional (shot) load that runs around 1150 fps at your desired weight. By the time you run it from a short barrel, this will likely be subsonic anyway, but you can always tweak it later by reducing the powder charge by 1/2-1 grain. These are very low pressure rounds for the most part, so pressures shouldn't be a concern with the solid payload. The Lee slug molds are a great value, as is the Lee 0.690 RB. The round ball has the advantage of being heavier, so if you're constrained on velocity, this will give you the hardest hitting round. If you want minimum recoil and better accuracy, the 7/8 Lee slug is the way to go.

Thanks, and yes my Suppressor is designed and must have a shot cup. Was looking at the 575 Lyman pellet gun slug cast with straight lead to flatten when it hits the steel plates. Was looking at data that uses the AA hull and shot cup, may have to make a few and see what velocity I get from them.

Boolit Grand Master

I see some loads for other hulls that give the sort of velocities you are looking for with similar weight slugs but not Win AA hulls.

Slugs R Us lists a reduced recoil load using 17 grs. of Green Dot at 1050 FPS for a 490 gr. total ejection weight but that is with Cheddite hulls.

Metro loads lists:

2 3/4" Federal 12 Gauge HullFederal 209-A Primer
    20 grs Herco Powder
    1 1/4 oz. T Steel(Goose) or BB Steel (Duck)
    MV 869 fps

so the 525 gr. slug should be a reasonable payload here.

And look what I found right here at Cast Boolits:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...subsonic-slugs

Might be something there that helps.

I wish we could use suppressors here but nope.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I use the Lyman Sabot Shocker 12 gauge hollowbase, flat head mould. From pure lead, they are 530+/- grains. That is an ounce and an eighth. Start with beginning trap/skeet load data and work up.

I've found green dot to be very dodgy at the low and high ends of it's published data. Go out of the middle and I get unburnt powder and even a squib or two. No bueno.

WSF is far more versatile.

Suggested loads:

I suggest sticking to recipes using Rem gun club/STS hulls and Fed 12S3 wads. Those slugs tend to be heavier than their nominal weight, so check them when choosing data.
    In the market for a multicavity Mi-Hec 9mm HP mold.

I presently cast for .380 ACP, 9mm, .38/.357, 30 cal and .45 and 12 Ga slug.
    I am particularly grateful for the help I have gotten from members Red333 and MSRdiver, and OLD Para (who made a crazy mold on my design!!!!!) as well as excellent guides by Recluse for his ideal lube process. I have been experimenting with poly coating too.

PM me if you know of a very cheap source of birdshot, or an efficient way to make #4 Buck.

Boolit Master
    If using suppressor is a must, you should take a look at British shooters forums. I don't know much about this subject but seems the preferred wads are old style felt and card for some reason related to plastic fouling I guess.

That's all out with the Salvo suppressor. Their design more or less has rails that the shotcup rides down to hold all the shot in. The rails hold the cup closed until it exits the 'muzzle' of the suppressor. Felt and card would allow components to expand out into the baffles destroying the suppressor. It's an instant warranty void too. Silencerco expressly states that you must use a shotcup in all loads, including slugs and buckshot. Most of their marketing seems to be around trap shooters, which is odd to me, as I would expect this to appeal more to the tacticool crowd.

Frankly, I would love one for bird hunting without needing earpro. It might affect the swing a little, but you can get used to that. Being more aware of the grouse around me would be worth the change in feel and extra weight to carry.

I am particularly grateful for the help I have gotten from members Red333 and MSRdiver, and OLD Para (who made a crazy mold on my design!!!!!) as well as excellent guides by Recluse for his ideal lube process. I have been experimenting with poly coating too.

PM me if you know of a very cheap source of birdshot, or an efficient way to make #4 Buck.

Note: A brenneke style slug with no shotcup, but all the components attached together ought to be fine in a salvo. Nothing can expand outward.

Boolit Master
    Very interesting. Here suppressors are restricted items, but we have some tricks too to loophole. Never tried with a shotgun...

I don't know what your tricks are, but I can say the only sensible way to get NFA Title II items is with an NFA specific trust. -- It's my line of work in WA. I see a lot of people trying to save money by using dodgy trusts, or doing individual possession -- huge mistake. Don't 'save' money on something that can make you a felon, or cost you your cool toys. Get a good trust and move on.

I've been hearing good things about the Salvo, and the older CGW shotgun suppressor. The salvo looks to be a much better unit for modularity, weight, etc. The best way to mount one on an SBS is to have it reamed for RemChoke pattern chokes and use the Salvo's remchoke adapter. One of my friends has done a few this way: Here's a video of one of his -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sAOUYGW87s

Don't remember if that vid is an SBS or not. He does a bunch of reliable SBS's and was saying for the S12/V12 & similar 10" is the way to go for one of these cans. The cans require at least 10" of barrel. A lot of smiths bugger up the action when chopping these down below 12" and only a handful get them right. He gets them right.

Boolit Master
    Man, i live in brazil and just living here and just liking firearms almost makes me a felon... Mine are all registed to comply with law. We have two NGOs that are battling for our gun rights and we try to obey the law the most we can, but we are not even close to American freedom (which in some States, AFAIK was stolen). We can get some stuff legally but it's so expensive no regular working man can do it.

Ah. Well then all of my legal knowledge is useless to you. The best of luck and hard work to you. Everyone deserves access to practical means of self defense at least as good as an attacker might have. It's a basic human right.

Boolit Master
    Funny or sad as it may sound, the only "human rights" we hear about here are when criminals get shot, arrested or linched by the people, tired of being victim.