Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4227 VS "modern" powders

Boolit Grand Master

I scored a couple of pounds today. Been in a retro mood for awhile so I just had to try it. I know burn rate charts only tell part of the story and the properties of smokeless powder fascinate me. I've had some success with slow pistol powders in slow to moderate CB rifle loads in medium sized cases. It's a bit slower than 2400 and in some of my favorite loads indications are 2400 may be a bit too fast. I have a bit of 296, Rx7, 5744 and 4198 but there's something about 4227 and if I'm lucky I'll figure out what it is.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I've been playing with 4227 in 45 Colt Ruger only loads. So far, around 19 grains with the RCBS 45-270-saa boolit has shown great promise in my guns. It leaves a few unburned cernals of powder but it doesn't seem to affect accuracy.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master
    I like SR- and H-4227 very much, but Alliant 2400 has always been easier to find locally for me than the 4227s--whether powder droughts were on or not. 2400 seems a little more flexible, though usages and proper places are very similar. The 4227s and AA-1680 have been VERY scarce for 4 years+.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    1680 in stock at PowderValley in 1 and 8#

Boolit Bub
    I"m going to have to try it in my 25-20. I've got a good supply of W680 which has been very satisfactory.

Boolit Buddy
    It is an excellent powder for competition purposes in my 32-20 CPA. I get very good results in my 8.15x46R as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12