RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4227 VS "modern" powders

Boolit Grand Master

4227 VS "modern" powders

Been reading Williamson's "Winchester Lever Legacy" this week and it seems some of my favorite cartridges seem to prefer 4227, at least in his guns. I've never tried it, have plenty of other powders on hand but have been seeing 4227 on shelves lately and this book has fed my curiosity. I know, some of his loads are considered a bit on the warm side but I think there's some good info there if I'm careful. 4227 is a good bit faster than most of my favorite powders. Seems to me it was one of Snooky's favorite powders. I agree with him on Rx7 and 3031 and would have liked to see his reaction to LVR but we're a little too late for that.
    Question is, do I need to try 4227 in 32WCF, 38WCF and 32SPL?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Don't know if you really need to-- but if you try it in 32 WCF I'd sure like to hear see your report- I might try it in my 32 WS-- I've been seeing it on the shelves too.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned

if your using rl-7 now I'd just stay with that.

Boolit Master
    4227 and Rel7 both work very well in my 357max and 45-70 rifles as well as in my Savage ML2 smokeless muzzle loader. It's a good powder in the right application.

I've been using it for a very long time in my 25-20. Works good and as you say, it can usually be found while other powders are not available. Been working up some new loads in a 30-06 with a 160gr. lee bullet. So far it seems to be working good there also. I have also used it in a 357 mag. I had mixed feeling about it in the 357, but a lot of people do use it in the 357.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, guys.
    I guess I'm more interested in a pistol powder for the 32-20, 38-40 and maybe even 45 Colt. The other powders he favored for rifles seem to be my favorites too. Snooky advised against ball powder under CB's but 296 is my standard for 45 Colt hunting loads. Must admit I haven't fired 45 Colt CB loads in a rifle so he may be right. Unique seems to be my 1873's favored powder under CB's and I'm not looking for the horsepower 4227 could bring to the party. 4227 strikes me as a versatile, classic powder and I just hadn't read or thought much about it.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 03-31-2016 at 09:53 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    As a reduced load cast bullet powder it is excellent, and it is fine for full power loads in the small cases you mention. For full power loads in 32 Spl it is poor due to high velocity variations from only a partially filled case. Pick a slower bulkier powder for that.

Boolit Grand Master
    Works great for cast 314299 in .30-06.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

try aa1680 its great in cases with similar capacitys and meters as well as 4227
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Been reading Williamson's "Winchester Lever Legacy" this week and it seems some of my favorite cartridges seem to prefer 4227, at least in his guns. I've never tried it, have plenty of other powders on hand but have been seeing 4227 on shelves lately and this book has fed my curiosity. I know, some of his loads are considered a bit on the warm side but I think there's some good info there if I'm careful. 4227 is a good bit faster than most of my favorite powders. Seems to me it was one of Snooky's favorite powders. I agree with him on Rx7 and 3031 and would have liked to see his reaction to LVR but we're a little too late for that.
    Question is, do I need to try 4227 in 32WCF, 38WCF and 32SPL?

Boolit Master
    GONRA's considers IMR-4227 to be a .30 carbine powder.
    .309 inch diameter Lyman U311359 cast lead (gas check) bullet,
    13.5 grains MR-4227, CCI 400 primers verks great
    in my US M1 and M2 carbines, also Howa Japanese M1 carbine (near) copy.

Boolit Master
    IMR4227 was meant for the pistol sized rifle cartridges, the 32 WCF, 38 WCF and 44 WCF. Also works in the Magnum pistol cartridges and the 30 M1 Carbine. Dont know about the 32 Winchester Special.

It can also be used in a number of other pistol rounds starting with the 38 Special.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I use most of your listed powders and always thought 4227 was a modern powder.

IMHO 4227 will like/reguire more pressure for a complete burn as compared to Re7. in other words Hotter loads= higher pressure.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

I've used H4227 in my 303 Brits. Using a filler it works very well and is quite efficient but the filler caused cupping in the softish plain bases so I went to Dacron as a positioner which solved the problem. Pressure was lower too. One does need to use enough powder to get complete combustion but in a 303 sized case and a carbine length barrel, it doesn't require high pressure.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy

I've used it in 357 Herrett, 41 mag and 45 Colt. Planning to load it in 300BO soon

You mentioned considering 4227 for 45 Colt. In that caliber, it is one of my most-favored powders!
    my avatar is a 452389 185 gr button-nose wadcutter over 20.0 gr 4227. It's an old-school single-base extruded powder and actually smells really good when shooting it. Ha ha!
    dont know about 32 spl, but 45 Colt: it's a keeper.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Bub
    Works well in 38-55

Boolit Master
    4227 works well under higher pressures. I've used it in 32-20 and the daughter cartridges from 32-20; namely 25-20 and 218 bee. As I understand, it also works exceedingly well in most magnum pistol cartridges.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    agreed that 4227 is very close to 2400. it is not like ww-296, which must be run full density, h110 is similar to 4227 when run at full density. it was designed for the 351 Winchester cartridge, so that should tell ya what.

it works good in my sks 7.62x39 also 16gr with a 175 gr boolit
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Mold
    I've used it in a 2RLovell improved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast