Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Winchester Model 1882 Reloading Tool .44 WCF Decapper Dimensions?

Boolit Buddy

Winchester Model 1882 Reloading Tool .44 WCF Decapper Dimensions?

Hello. I have been lurking on the board for awhile and I'm impressed with the knowledge here. I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some information.

I recently picked up this bullet mold and Winchester reloading tool, made between 1882 and 1914, for .44-40 WCF. Under the surface rust and crud they are in good shape.

However, as is common, the decapping pin was lost sometime ago. I have a Lee turret press but I think it would be cool to load some black powder rounds with this tool.

Does anyone have one of these with the decapping pin that would be willing to share measurements of it? I may be able to find a replacement but I have a small lathe so I'd like to make it myself.

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    I don't have a .44 tool with the decapping pin; the only complete one I have is in .40-50 SS.

Cartridges of the World has the bullet, case length and cartridge overall length of this round as 0.403", 1.88" and 2.63" respectively.

My decapping insert dimensions are diameter 0.396" length without decapping pin 2.52" and total length with pin 2.76". If you measure a .44-40 cartridge or get the dimensions and make your decapper insert to the same proportions, you shouldn't be far off.

The pin was secured in the rod by a screw threaded crossways across the bottom, and the head countersunk below the surface, but if you just want something to use, drill a proper hole in the end of yours and glue in a Lee or RCBS replacement decapping pin with some Loc-Tite. I have made several of this kind of insert and have yet to break the pins. The pin end of the insert is beveled at approximately 30 degrees from the sides, and the other end is rounded to roughly the shape of the bullet. There is no flange for belling cases like the Ideal tools have. Just make sure the pin is long enough to pop the primer out but short enough so you can close the handles with the insert inside so it doesn't get lost again. That ring or well on the other handle will give you plenty of room for this.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks.

I have heard you can use a Lee trim gauge as a decapping pin. Just drop it in the boolit seater portion of the tool.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I saw a video on YouTube of someone doing just that.

As an aside, I couldn't stop with just one 19th Century reloading tool. Today I came home from the gun show with this Ideal #4 for .44-40.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ideal_Number_4_44WCF_Tool_2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	165216

Like the Winchester tool, it's missing the decapper and powder measure, but it retains some of the original nickel plating.
    Last edited by DaveM; 04-03-2016 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Buddy
    How much are they worth? Got one like the one in the top post. The one on top i mean.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

Boolit Buddy
    AIUI the Winchester reloading tools are the most common of the 19th century tools. I was able to get my set for about $80 on eBay, but I've seen them selling for over $200, depending on condition.

I paid 80 for my Ideal #6 in 30-30w

Boolit Buddy
    I think this one is 32 cal.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

Hey Dave! I realize that this is any old post, but if you are still looking for the dimensions of an original decapping / expander "peanut" for your .44 WCF tool then here you go:

Total length without decapping pin: 1.425"
    Decapping pin length: 0.204"
    Body diameter below the expander: 0.390"
    Expander diameter at largest point: 0.436"
    Length of the expanding head: 0.420"
    The flat at the tip of the expander: 0.252"

Photos to follow shortly ...

Cheers,

Al

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    Hello. I have been lurking on the board for awhile and I'm impressed with the knowledge here. I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some information.

I recently picked up this bullet mold and Winchester reloading tool, made between 1882 and 1914, for .44-40 WCF. Under the surface rust and crud they are in good shape.

However, as is common, the decapping pin was lost sometime ago. I have a Lee turret press but I think it would be cool to load some black powder rounds with this tool.

Does anyone have one of these with the decapping pin that would be willing to share measurements of it? I may be able to find a replacement but I have a small lathe so I'd like to make it myself.

Thanks in advance.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

OK, here are the photos to show you what it looks like ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Nice pictures, Al. I have one in 38-40 I used for loading my '73 Winchester in the woods last fall. I made a decapper out of 3/8 rod drilled for a 1/16 roll pin ( not near as pretty as the original, but it worked ). A lot of fun loading BP rounds in the woods, plinking at targets ( makes you take the time to aim when you load them one at a time on the spot ).

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you very much for the dimensions, Reverend Al!

No problem ... you're welcome!