RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have found myself at a crossroads

Boolit Buddy

I have found myself at a crossroads

I know that y'all can't make a decision for me but sometimes the best advice comes from complete strangers that have been there but have no skin in the game for your individual situation.

That said, I have been employed with a company for 11 years now. I have worked my way up through the ranks from press operator to night shift supervisor. I make a enough money to feed my outdoor additions and support my family and I am supposedly next in line to take the production manager job if and when it opens up.

This company used to be a decent one to work for but about 6 years ago we got a new plant manager that has let it go to s***. Routine PM has taken a back seat to tooling changes and several things in the plant are just barely held together and made to work with duct tape and zip ties. (Literally) the turnover rate is ridiculous as the combined experience in production employees on my shift is less then 2 years, that's with 8 people. About a month ago I caught the shift lead and a subordinate smoking pot out back, red handed, so I sent them home and contacted the plant manager to inform him on the situation. To my surprise they were both back to work the following night. The plant manager said he can't afford to lose both of them. There are many other issues going on but I'll stop ranting now.

Anyway, I have another job opportunity that has presented itself for a bit more money and better insurance that I am considering taking. My biggest fear is having to start over again with fear of being layed off due to seniority and not being able to pay my mortgage. I also find it hard to "give up" on a place that I have been employed with over 1/3 of my life (I'm only 30). It may just be a silly pride thing but I feel like quitting this job, even to try to better myself, is quitting something I have worked my entire adult life to achieve and I have never quit anything no matter how hard it was.

The floor is now yours, thanks for any input you may give and may god bless each and every one of you. Y'all may very well be the greatest group of people I'll never have a chance to meet.

About 10 years ago I was in the same position you are now.I was a supervisor at a steel stamping company,been there for 13 years and I also had worked my way up the ranks.It got to be that the job was all I thought about from the time I woke up until I went to sleep.My wife told me if I didn't do something I would have a heart attack by the time I turned 40.I quit my job and went to work for another factory while going to school for hvac.I am so much happier now than I was then and it has been the best thing I have done.It is scary to think about leaving and starting over but could be the most rewarding thing you could do.Only you can make that decision and if you are a hard worker all will work out for you.Whatever you decide I wish you the best.

As you said, you can decide best for yourself but I'll give you some food for thought. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. If you know any employees at the other place you are considering, talk to them and try to get an honest feel for the company and work conditions. If it sounds good, you may consider a move. Just remember that work happiness translates to more happiness outside of work.

Also, consider that if you are in line for a promotion at your current job, would that promotion put you in a position to better influence change and improvement in your current company? If the promotion means that your voice will be listened to, then that's good. Maybe the plant manager listens to his supervisors and you can help to improve some of the things you are unhappy with. If the promotion only brings added responsibility and not the ability to influence positive change, then I'd probably start looking for a new job.

Boolit Grand Master

It is parallel and not directly related but remember that Ronald Regan stated that he did not leave the Democratic party, the Democratic party left him. Sounds like your situation is similar.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I left my job a year ago, after almost 7 years, but I had worked with the other guys there for many years before that with another company, where we all got laid off.

The last company was built up around me, and what I knew how to do. Built it into a fairly large company, with several branches and many employees, and endured several large pay cuts as the economy continued to decline.

It got to the point that the owners would tell me they wished they could give me a raise, and in the next breath, brag about how all of our equipment and vehicles were paid for with cash, and oh, by the way, I'll be gone to Hawaii next week.

I was quite apprehensive about switching jobs, but had one referred to me by a friend. The $ wasn't quite good enough, so I passed. The guy called me up a week later, and offered me another couple of bucks an hour, but he was about .50 short of what i thought I could take, so I again passed. A month later, he called me and offered me another couple dollars an hour, so I jumped on it.

I can't even begin to tell you how much less stress I have!

I can't begin to tell you what is right for you, but I think I would move on.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Sometimes the job change is the best thing to ever happen. It was for me more then once.

Boolit Master

If you decide to leave for a new job don't look back. Make up your mind to accept the future whatever it may bring. No risk no reward.

Dang, that sounded like a fortune cookie or horoscope.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Here is two sides of the coin

Unless something happens, you could last longer than the plant manager and the new plant manager turns things around. Seen a lot of good people and bad people come and go over the years, I outlasted the bad ones and glad I stayed now.

Sometimes you can smell death, the lack of concern may be that the plant manager knows something you don't..What is it? your gonna have to figure out, is there a buyout down the road. Get or keep your ducks in a row and prepare your self fiances for the future what ever it brings

Boolit Master

You are closer to the situation than I am. My question is; How can the plant manager be operating in such a short sighted manor without his supervisors approval? Do you want to continue to work for a company which has such a short sighted approach to operating? How much longer can it continue before the piper must be paid?
    If you progressed from entry level to management in 11 years, you are the same person, and can reasonably expect similar results in a new position.
    I say go for it and don't look back, but what do I know. I'm hundreds of miles away, semi-retired, almost an empty-nester, and don't have a nickle in the pot.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

I have found myself at a crossroads

If it's an opportunity, you aren't quitting. You are transitioning.
    Your premise is that if you leave, you have given up.

Change the premise around a little and see what feels right. Are you really leaving because you can't handle it? Or because opportunity came knocking?

The days when someone works there entire life for one company are gone. It's now up to us to decide if we have achieved what we set out to do with a particular company, and when it's time to move for growth.

Boolit Buddy
    Plant Manager has let it go to s*** for 6 (six) years? Sounds like his boss only cares if quota is met. (I'm assuming the Plant Manager's boss has been informed of what is happening?)
    I think you should be very honest in your exit interview. If they don't do those, you should write a letter to the highest person in the company you know, calmly and clearly explaining why you left. It might help those who have to stay.

Think of yourself, no one else will.
    Protect your family as the company won't.

good luck ! At least you haven't been fired or quitting before landing another opportunity .

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a tough call, my friend. You have worked hard and advanced. I would be tempted to stay. If you change jobs you will be starting at the bottom again. You will be subject to all of the things a new guy suffers. Crappy jobs, crappy hours, lay offs, ect. Good work ethics will help you move up, but you will still be the new guy for a while. Does your current job have decent benefits like vacation, insurance and retirement? Does the other job? Whether you move or stay I would begin to build an emergency fund. Try to save enough for 6 months of your current living expenses. A good worker can find a job in 6 months if you do get laid off. Good Luck with your choice.

Plant mnager a looser, lets druggies work there, other stuff going down the tubes. Talk to the owner or stockholders and wise them up. The plant manager is killing the place. If nothing done hit the new place.........better to chance a lay off then a closed company.

Boolit Grand Master

I worked for a large plant manufaturer in the skilled trades division ( Tool and Die maker) for 18 years and was reduced out to a production job while outside contractors were working in the plant and work we did was being sent out to job shops. I took close to $3.00 an hour pay cut going to production. I sent out resumes and got some feelers out with friends. I ended up at one of the big threes auto parts plantsn with a big pay raise much better benifits and better working conditions. It was the est move I ever made. It was a longer drive but the pay raise more than offsett it. You need to step back and think things thru some. You stated you found people using drugs and impared. Do you want to risk your wellbeing, saftey, and body parts working with these people? Do you really want to be there to see the results of it. A company that cant wont keep equipment up and enforce rules is on the way down and or out, you might ride it out. But now is the time to start looking while there is no pressure to find another job, right now you have a job you dont have to have one. This makes looking and interviewing much easier for you. Decide what needs to happen and then work towards it. Sometimes the move is the best thing to happen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    It is parallel and not directly related but remember that Ronald Regan stated that he did not leave the Democratic party, the Democratic party left him. Sounds like your situation is similar.
    As I was reading the original post, I thought almost the same thought as you. You are not leaving the job. The job already left you. I'd be looking real hard at other options.

Best of luck to the OP.

Now, I'll get back to reading the responses.

Banned

The only question I have after reading the entire thread, and especially the O/P, is whether the new company is solid, prosperous and growing? I would rather leave a ship as first mate that is going to sink and sign on with one that is in good condition. If they are union shops, then merit is not going to be properly rewarded. If the new shop is non-union, I have no doubt you can advance in short order based on merit. I am nearing the end of my career, but when I was 30, I would have picked the better company/firm, for sure, over short term $$$ or the hope of another promotion, or the hope that the company/firm would still be around in 10 years when then new company has a better shot at a longer existence. Want to know what is a blast? Living in Southern California as a dumpy middle-age/older white guy who does not speak Spanish and looking for a job after the owner of the company suddenly dies and you lose the best job you ever had. The next 20 to 30 years are the best opportunity you have at making it or breaking it, and I would go with the best company regardless of where I was on the Totem Pole. You will always have company/job "politics" to deal with no matter where you go.

You need to pray about it and ask for guidance. Then wait a bit...things will work out for the better. You'll know what to do.

Perma-Banned

Prayer sent for guidance in your decision.

Boolit Master
    Looking in on your situation I would run to the new job with flames on my feet. I spent 9 years at a career doing what I loved but never made enough money to support a growing family so I started climbing the ladder and found out how disgusted I was with the upper management in the company, I ended up taking a 7 dollar an hour pay cut to get out of there and after a couple of different jobs and promotions at my current job I believe I have once again found an actual career and am making more money than I was at my previous career. I've never looked back. They say never burn any bridges but some times that's what it takes to keep you moving forward instead of running back where you where. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast