Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: new to me m38

Boolit Master

new to me m38

Found a izzy m38 on armslist for 500bucks with 1180rds surplus ammo. I have been looking for one for a long time and i think its not a bad price as the ammo has gone up alot in the last year. Will post pics tommarow when i pick it up. The rifle will go well with my 91/30, m44, type 53. Next im looking for a clean Finn. Sorry for the random post , im kinda excited. I should have bought cases of the things at 99bucks

I have a 91/30 and an M44, love to shoot them. http://7.62x54r.net/ has a ton of info on all of the different variants of the Mosin Nagant rifle.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160329_201228.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	164889Well what was advertised as a m38 is realy a m44 with the bayo lug cut off. I bought it anyway. The lamanated stock should have been a dead giveaway.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160329_201201.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	164888

Boolit Master
    Just ordered new bayo and front sight base so not a total loss.Anyone know how to remove it with min damage?

Boolit Buddy
    Nice one! I have 4 of the M38s and I got them when they were selling for like $69.00! They are a fine rifle. I always liked the fact that they are pure simplicity. Shoot cast well, too. I did notice it looked like an M44, but you have one of the best I've seen. Have the import on these things pretty much dried up, finally? I quit looking when I let my C&R lapse when the prices started climbing and the selection dropped off.

Boolit Master
    Yes import has mostly dried up on the most things including ammo. Some 91/30s are still out there but the prices are climbing fast on all surplus arms

It's been awhile since I did one. Isn't the part held on by a pin though the bottom wall of the barrel? I think you have to remove the front sight first, also held on by a pin, and drive first one and then the other off the muzzle. Then you'll have to put the new bayonet mount on in reverse order. I don't believe that they are soldered, but nevertheless a little heat on the part will help in removal and installation by expanding it. They are a very tight fit. Usually they are removed, so putting one on is a bit unusual.
    Attachment 164919

Boolit Master
    Thanks thats about what I was thinking but idident know about it being soldered or how tight the fit was.

Boolit Master
    Well I tapped out the pin by the front sight.the other pin was ground down with a bench grinder so I can't see the pin ends. I might have to file down the side of the sight base to expose the side of the pin. I should have more time this weekend

Maybe if you put a little cold blue on it or some other staining chemical you will see the outline of the pin.

Boolit Buddy

I have an M44 that I paid $49 with my C&R license. Those days are gone with the wind! I have an M38 as well, and a Fin M91 (not 91/30). I've killed a bunch of deer with the Fin. I regret not buying more Mosin Nagants when they were dirt cheap.
    INFIDEL

Boolit Master
    O nice idea with the cold blue. I was also thinking maybe a propane torch might bring it up

Boolit Master
    funny,

Why do you want replace the bayonet on an M44 Mosin? I have several and the bayonet is folded back for accuracy testing. Extending the bayonet (? for whatever reason) changes the point of impact with the same point of aim! Perhaps there is a Very Good Reason the bayonet was removed. May I suggest you test fire your M44 BEFORE you add the bayonet and change the barrel harmonics???

Adam

Boolit Master
    Well changed the front sight. It's pined and pressed on. No solder. Had to use a good bit of heat

Boolit Master
    funny,

If I missed your report on the accuracy of your arm, as is, I apologize. Before you restore the arm to full military dress, may I suggest you test fire it as is because the prior owner may have determined best accuracy was without the bayonet?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    Well I tapped out the pin by the front sight.the other pin was ground down with a bench grinder so I can't see the pin ends. I might have to file down the side of the sight base to expose the side of the pin. I should have more time this weekend
    Try a little gas on it let it set then wipe the extra off. The gas will penetrate around the pin and wick out after wiping showing you the pin.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    Try a little gas on it let it set then wipe the extra off. The gas will penetrate around the pin and wick out after wiping showing you the pin.
    When i applied heat all the years of oiling crept out around the pin. As far a my reason for putting the bayo back on.1 it looked pritty ugly, i could have made it look better .2 i just like to have the old mil surps to be the way they were intended. I have other rifles that shoot way better than this one will ever will. And the most likly reason it was removed was due to the NYNOTSOSAFE act, we have a big shot here selling them for 499 with fresh bench grinder marks