MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS APS priming system

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS APS priming system

I've been using this since it came out.
    Best priming system I've ever used.
    No more poking primers in a tube.
    Never liked the idea of the primers hitting each other going down the tube.
    I'm kind of surprised more don't use it.
    Anyone else use it?????

Boolit Master

Use it on my RCBS Pro 2000 press and have had good luck. Been consdering a bench mounted APS pring system for rifle...
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Buddy
    OK, there is one in every crowd! Here I am!
    I have used the APS bench mount for several months now. The APS hand squeezer is good. The RCBS APS bench mount is piss poor! too many plastic parts! She worked well for about 1K primes then I started having many, many jams.
    I have worked with RCBS on changing all of the parts, but to no avail. I have taken the item apart numerous times and I have truly given up. My investigation is ongoing and I am still trying to resolve this issue.
    Please read the Midway customer reviews on this guy. Several unhappy folks ... include me in that group as well.
    The normal, RCBS tube feed bench primer works very well. ( BTW, if you are in the market, don't overlook the Lee ergo primer, she is wonderful!)
    billboy

If you like them, better stock up. RCBS ditched the APS on the last two progressives they came out with and went back to the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    If you like them, better stock up. RCBS ditched the APS on the last two progressives they came out with and went back to the tube.
    Or save the APS strips. IIRC, RCBS also made a primer strip loader.

Yes, a strip loader comes with the pro 2000 but the strips are plastic and don't last forever. If you like CCI primers it is best to buy them already in the APS strips and save them for when you will need them down the road. They sell for around $0.25 ea on ebay, at that price you are saving $10 for every 1000 primers already in the strips.

I would expect them to only become more valuable down the road, kind of like R12 is for folks that want to keep old cars original and the AC working.

Boolit Grand Master
    The only plastic part, on the one I have, is that red push rod guide.
    It used to go bad, and cause a jam all the time.
    I tried without it, and never used it again.

Quote Originally Posted by soldierbilly1 View Post
    OK, there is one in every crowd! Here I am!
    I have used the APS bench mount for several months now. The APS hand squeezer is good. The RCBS APS bench mount is piss poor! too many plastic parts! She worked well for about 1K primes then I started having many, many jams.
    I have worked with RCBS on changing all of the parts, but to no avail. I have taken the item apart numerous times and I have truly given up. My investigation is ongoing and I am still trying to resolve this issue.
    Please read the Midway customer reviews on this guy. Several unhappy folks ... include me in that group as well.
    The normal, RCBS tube feed bench primer works very well. ( BTW, if you are in the market, don't overlook the Lee ergo primer, she is wonderful!)
    billboy

Boolit Buddy

I have 2 of the bench mounted type. I used epoxy to secure the small punch in one and the large punch in the other. Relying on gravity to keep them secure was causing lots of jams. They work flawlessly now. Also when using the small red plastic guide put it inside the large one.
    The system is quite good now, but after receiving all of the internal parts as well as several plastic guides from RCBS, I feel that I had to finish the engineering on it to get it working. I am still working on the strip loader.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master
    Don't they cost more already on a strip? If you have to load them on a strip, is it faster than a tube?
    Sorry, but I'll leave the APS to those who like it. Seemed like another answer to a question I never had.

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Don't they cost more already on a strip? If you have to load them on a strip, is it faster

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLoc...3D1%26Ntpr%3D1

About $8/1000 more for cci sp in strips. More SKUs for CCI and vendors. Not a great situation.

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Don't they cost more already on a strip? If you have to load them on a strip, is it faster than a tube?
    Yes, they cost more and no a tube is faster to fill than 4 strips (100 primers).

I would expect them to only become more valuable down the road, kind of like R12 is for folks that want to keep old cars original and the AC working.
    True, funny deal on that. I found a NIB unopened recharge kit with hose, can adapter, and one pound unused can of r12 freon at the local ReStore last month for a whole $1.50!
    Last week I they had another unused can on the shelf for $2. I don't have an old car (yet!) but tucked it away for a rainy day.

sorry, back to the RCBS primer strip thread.....

Boolit Grand Master

My model 2000 press came with the strip priming and a recharge unit. I've since bought a hand full of extra strips (@.10-.14 ea) and haven't had a problem, in 16 years.
    Fast, safe and no flipped or sideways primers.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been buying CCI primers in the strips. Yes, more expensive but the APS system is so much better than tubes there really isn't a good comparison between the two. APS is simply both faster and safer than any manufacturers tube systems.

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I have used the bench-mounted APS system since it came out and am well-pleased with it.
    i have had some minor issues but a regular cleaning with compressed air and replacing the strips periodically greatly reduces the problems.

I also use the strip loader as no one locally sells the loaded strips. It works very well. I generally load up strips with several hundred primers and prime cases in batches of 500 hundred. Doesn't take long at all.

My loader and APS primer have been used to prime tens of thousands of cases over the years. Inserting a small sleeve within the larger sleeve does increase reliability when priming with large primers.

Boolit Master
    Yes, they cost more and no a tube is faster to fill than 4 strips (100 primers).
    You must be using one of those vibratory tube fillers. I can fill four strips by hand notably faster than I can play pick-em-up with 100 loose primers.

I have one of those universal shell holder APS hand primers and I have essentially stopped using all my other hand priming tools. I'm a big fan. I just wish I could convince my Hornady progressive to accept them
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

I can pick up with a tube and flip tray slightly faster than load 4 strips with the RCBS loader.

The vibraprime $25 when they were on sale is a lot faster and with the RF100, you dump 100 primers in and hit the button and go back to loading.

You also don't have to mess with anything primer related once you fill the tube for 100 rounds until the buzzer goes off at least with the Dillon.

I will say the Lee Loadmaster priming system is the fastest system out there except the RF100, in that you dump the primers in, shake to get them base down and reinstall. It's ready to load in the same time your ready to pull the trigger on a vibra prime or install a strip in the RCBS loader. IF the entire system was as reliable as any of the others I would prefer it.
    Last edited by jmorris; 04-04-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I much prefer tubes over the APS system. It was a happy day when I replaced the APS on my Pro 2000 with tubes. Having 100 primers ready to go without futzing with loading strips is vastly better.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a problem with mine. the strip dose not move unless I pull it through for every primer. any one know what I am doing wrong.

Boolit Grand Master
    Email RCBS.
    Customer service is great.

Quote Originally Posted by rbt50 View Post
    I have a problem with mine. the strip dose not move unless I pull it through for every primer. any one know what I am doing wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast