Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two New Rugers = Two Rifles that Need Work

Boolit Master

Two New Rugers = Two Rifles that Need Work

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I just had another bad experience with a new Ruger rifle. Last month my BIL's 300 BO Ranch bolt action had light firing pin strikes. Today I went to break in my Mini-14 and it won't eject a fired round. I had to manually pick the round off the bolt face.

Yes, I know, "send it back and Ruger will take care of it..." but I shouldn't have to.

Likely a little polishing will take care of my ejection problem, but a $750 rifle shouldn't need it.

Boolit Master
    The last four firearms I bought from Ruger had to go back. I don't think it's that you are unlucky. They are slipping keeping up with demand.
    There was no finish on the bottom of a charger.
    Sights were canted on a 10/22
    Stock wasn't cut properly on a different 10/22.
    Barrel blew up on the third round of a revolver

I've had similar issues on several new firearms as well. Up until recently I've been able to affect all the repairs myself with little to no hassle. Stock fitting on a CZ-527 though proved so poor the stock cracked in two places first range trip so I've sent that one back to be repaired. Considering what these companies pay for shipping guns both ways (at a steep discount mind you but still its money out of their pockets) and the cost of having the firearm looked at, diagnosed and repaired. You think they could hire one more person per line to QC...
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Well, looks like it will be going back. The ejector doesn't look to be long enough and it misses the case rim completely.

Shame this stuff is getting to be a common occurrence.

Boolit Master
    That sucks, I have an ejector issue on my NIB marlin 22lr. I was down to trouble shoot and keep testing it until the shortage hit, just haven't had the urge to tinker with it again. Hopefully ruger sets you right, I have no faith in remlin fixing mine.

Boolit Grand Master
    I nearly ordered a Ruger rifle today. Glad I changed my mind.

They don't make em like that used to. That sadly applies to a few brands.

Boolit Master
    I am really going to piss some peeps off with this one but the mini-14 is Junk in my mind. We have send back several over the years. Overpriced and yes I will say that the Ruger quality control has got bad. Now you know they didnt fire that gun if it wont eject. Sorry to hear you are having issues. This is something I would just try and fix myself instead of shipping it back and so on. Does the shop the gun came from have a gun smith? If so call then and ask if he can take a look at it since you bought it from him on the house. Never know might be a simple fix.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Ordered an expensive pistol from Kimber for the wife ( Micro Raptor .380 ) and the extractor was not even adjusted. Can't see how they fired the test round
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master
    I had to send my nightmare of a RIA 22tcm 9mm combo back to RIA. They screwed my gun up bad. Three scratches sent back the wrong slide. NO LUBE on a 1911 and stated they fired 30 rounds 9mm and 30 rounds 22tcm.

I could not figure out what they did but the grip safety would not work when it came back and if you kept the trigger pulled back and cycled the slide the hammer would drop every time. I had to take it all apart and lube it put it back together correctly and now it shoots fine. They said scratches are not their problem. Oh and it has an idiot mark on the take down slash slide release. Wish I would have never sent it back. Some shops get away with crimes I tell you.

OP I hope you can get it fixed simple like and not have to ship it back.

Boolit Master
    I fixed it. I put a .030 shim between the ejector and the sheet metal plate in the left side of the receiver. That causes the ejector to protrude farther in the slot in the bolt and now actually make contact with the brass. I tried it by hand about a dozen times and it worked perfectly each time. Tomorrow I'll shoot a few rounds and make sure it's 100%.

Banned

ive had more rugers back to the factory then all other brands combined. I chuckle at some who think there some kind of a premium brand.

Boolit Buddy

Ruger used to be a quality gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR View Post
    I fixed it. I put a .030 shim between the ejector and the sheet metal plate in the left side of the receiver. That causes the ejector to protrude farther in the slot in the bolt and now actually make contact with the brass. I tried it by hand about a dozen times and it worked perfectly each time. Tomorrow I'll shoot a few rounds and make sure it's 100%.
    Saved yourself 6-8 weeks and probably did a better job repairing it!

Boolit Master
    Ruger was once great when wood was the only option on a gun.

Glad you got it fixed. Makes you feel proud I bet and you should.

Boolit Master
    I also sent back a RIA TCM/9mm combo. T here was hardly any rifling in the TCM barrel. They replaced the pistol with another new one. The replacement has a divot in the neck area and leaves a stretched area on the casing. It too is back for service. I hope for a good barrel this time.

Both pistols ran well, no jams, nothing wrong with them, just bad barrels.

Banned

don't know about that either. Look at the early 77s. Most were pathetic shooters, at least most that I had. Look at the early 45 colts. There tolerances were no better then the 100 year old colts. The early redhawks were mediocure shooters and some even had the tendency to have the barrels fall off. What rugers are is strong. Most any of them can do double duty as a hammer. But to me they never been a premium brand. I even know people personaly that truly believe the sun rises and sets on rugers. Most of them own one or two firearms and wouldn't know a good one if I broke it over there head.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegatman View Post
    Ruger used to be a quality gun.

Boolit Master
    I shot my uncle's Mini 14 chambered in 7.62x39 over the weekend. It had lots of failure to fire with Tula ammo, it did fire every Winchester cartridge, though.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

don't know about that either. Look at the early 77s. Most were pathetic shooters, at least most that I had.
    Yep, tried three different Model 77s in 308 Winchester in the mid 70s. None stayed with me more than a few months. I loved the stock design, but looks don't shoot groups or put meat in the freezer. Each one had a major issue that was just not acceptable.

Haven't bought a Ruger since, although I won a Mk I target pistol for first place at a state level pistol match in the 80s. It does well and is still in use after a rebuild by a friend (the game and fish department armorer) with a new trigger and hammer assembly.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 04-01-2016 at 12:54 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

My last Ruger (and I mean LAST) was an SR-22. Shoots patterns, not groups, and it fails to feed so often I can't stand to shoot it. There was a rumor the fail to feed problem was caused by magazine loading issues but I've tried pretty much everything except modifying the magazine and it still isn't reliable.