Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scopes of the PAST

Scopes of the PAST

So I inherited a M1903 Sporterized (still 30-'06) with a Weaver fine cross-hair 4x scope. I think this scope is superb for this application and best suited for anything sub 300yds. Ive shot with it time and time again and love this darn this - problem is that it is old and I don't want to be carrying it in the field anymore. In looking for a scope, I've found that there is no such thing as a 'fine cross-hair' (with few exceptions) nor are there any available rifle scopes with fixed power on them. Is it just me, or am I alone in getting tired of the jack-boot thug 3-40x tacticool-graduated-reticle-scope crowd getting slightly overwhelming????

What if I don't want my scope to be obscured by all the windage, elevation, range, breathing, pen*s length gage slathered all over an optic? What if I'm tired of the fat cross hair covering my point of aim and just want a simple, single, fine crosshair set to set through and shoot?

I'm not a crotchety old fella yet, but right now I feel like it! Perhaps I can get this weaver restored? Hell maybe Tasco has better options nowadays.

Rough!

How about just buying a new fixed 4 power Weaver? They still make them.

I like plan scopes myself.

I like the weavers with duplexan post with cross hair meself..
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

The only fixed power scope weaver offers comes with only one reticle - the <http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/r...pes/classic_k/ /> Dual-X. The only scopes available with the fine cross-hair are the classic-V - all of which are varying power scopes, and it doesn't state that the fine cross-hair is available for all models there-of. Note, I'm not sure if the 'fine cross-hair' of today is the same as what I am looking for. I know I sound pretty childish, but at the same time, what I'm asking for doesn't seem that far over the top. I'm sure if I call them, they would be happy to make an exception for a nice fee, of course... Still offers me little comfort as I see the trend continue.

Boolit Mold
    I'm with you Saint Iverson I think we may be out of luck until the tactical revolution comes to an end. I'm have found a few nice scopes at the gun shows. I have no idea if anybody makes one anymore though.

Boolit Master
    I have the same sporterized 03 weaver combo inherited from my grandpa. I have to agree with you that is is about as perfect a scope as you can get for the rifle. I agree with others, keep an eye out for n the vintage market. I have, over time, found many decent condition weavers and B&L scopes that have what your looking for. Sadly, all of mine have found homes.

You might call Leupold - I believe for a price they will put in any reticle they have ever offered.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

I'm with you Saint Iverson
    a favorite 30-06 rifle wears a old weaver 4x....and it works just fine for me....
    even with the zoom power scopes I just set them to 4 or 6 power and forget the rest.
    I think Leupold makes fixed power...and sometimes you can find them for sale on this site
    and like you I rebel at anything that has "tactical" as part of their advertising.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Thanks for the company fellas, icing to the cake are the obscene prices that accompany any optic nowadays. <http://www.midwayusa.com/product/671489/weaver-classic-k-series-scout-rifle-scope-4x-28mm-dual-x-reticle-matte/> "List price: $302.00, Sale Price: $165.00" Even the sale price seems high, and yet people will argue and say that this is cheap!

Optimistically, I found one with the fine crosshair!: <http://www.midwayusa.com/product/626...il-matte-steel />

The new fixed 4 or 6 power scope is a 3-9 power. There's worse things to worry about.

That could be said of nearly every issue on this forum .

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    St. I, I'm with you on fixed power. Also, a fixed power should be more durable, sharper and have a wider field than a variable--all things being equal. Unfortunately, most of the older scopes don't have multi coating which really makes a difference in contrast and brightness..

Boolit Master

I would like to see fixed power scopes as well. My thoughts would be a fixed power should have better optics and more repeatable adjustments for the same price as a variable.

Boolit Master
    Variable scopes are a lot more reliable than they used to be, and I never saw that a plain duplex reticule is in any way worse than totally fine hairs. Once in a while you are going to get a close shot in abominable light, and the human eye is very good at judging the mid-point between two objects, or in this case four ends of visible lines. I fully agree about some of the complex reticules we see, though. The range estimation that really matters happens while the rifle is on its way to your shoulder. I think it was Lincoln who first talked about twenty-dollar words, but "tactical" seems to bring in a lot more than that.

I'm a great believer in the 1950s external-adjustment hunting scopes, which aren't exactly period for your rifle, but very much in keeping. I have one on my 1926 Mannlicher-Schoenauer - with plain tapered crosshairs, in which I can see no earthly harm or no earthly purpose. They are made of genuine steel, with coated optics to modern standards, and the adjustment stays on the rifle with the mount, which was sold both under B&L's own name and Kuharsky. The rings come in two kinds, with a flat spring and with a spring-loaded plunger, and they are far more compact and durable than external adjustment target systems.

They do appear on eBay, with prices varying tremendously, but there are bargains to be had. I believe one or two dealers specialize in them. The only time I ever got an infraction on this site was for posting the URL to an eBay auction, purely to illustrate something nobody would have wanted to buy. But there is a Bausch and Lomb mount set for the 1903A3 at the moment, and it wouldn't be hard to fit to the 1903. Beware of the model names, like Balfor, Baltor, Balvar etd., as they were also used for the internal adjustment scopes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by saint_iverson View Post
    I'm not a crotchety old fella yet, but right now I feel like it! Perhaps I can get this weaver restored? Hell maybe Tasco has better options nowadays.
    These folks in Tulsa can probably help you.
    http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/weaver
    I haven't used them, but more than a decade ago I used another company in El Paso Texas, WSR, where the old Weaver plant used to be... I see they're out of business now. WSR did a good job with the fix, but optically any steel-tube Weaver compares poorly to any modern scope, except maybe the worst of the worst. Stout, though.
    http://www.opticstalk.com/weaver-sco...opic11212.html

Boolit Buddy
    All but the cheapest scope made today has considerably better glass than the old Weavers, and the old argument that fixed scopes are somehow more inherently rugged than variables is a curmudgeonly myth that needs to die.

As for the "tactical fad," good optics, usable reticles, and easily repeatable adjustments are good things in the real world.

In Remembrance

Back in the `90`s I bought a Leupold European variable 1.5 - 4.5x 30mm scope with the German #9 reticule (post with 2 heavy side bars). Really like this scope on my .416 Taylor. I`ve found that I usually have the variable power ring set on about 2X. My .375 H&H Model 70 pre 64 wears an old (1963) Weaver 3X that had the Nitrogen refilled once by the original Weaver shop. My sporterised P-17 in .338/06 and a 03-A3 in `06 both wear 1960`s made Weaver 4X scopes with fine cross hairs that fill all my needs for my shooting.Robert

Thanks for the company guys. To reiterate, bells and whistles, tactical and what-not is my gripe. Simple and sleek. This "tactical fad" and the correlation to "good and usable" is laughable to me, when that condition is only accomplished at a cost worth more than most of the guns they are mounted!

I purpose that if you can make an Uber tactical super fancy scope with all the addition squeeze for 65 bucks, a plain 4x wirh a simple crosshair would be pretty damn easy and cheap! Yet here we are, so far this thread has staved off most of the "you can special order it" comments - of course I can special order it! But it is so simple to ... well.. keep it simple. They deny a product that the market would support so they can sell the bling.

Another day.

Keep up the good fight guys.

Boolit Buddy
    If the market would support it, they would sell it. Period.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast