MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Ruger American Predator and Cast Boolits.

Boolit Master

Ruger American Predator and Cast Boolits.

Rifle has a 1 in 8" twist. Anybody shooting cast boolits in theirs? Wondering about the Lee Bator. I figure my 225107 is too light. Any advise would be appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Well I have been shooting the Ranch with the same twist for a while now and it does not like light bullets. I had got a few bator boolits here from a member to try in my 22tcm. I didnt try them in my 223 as they have been lubed and I would perfer to try some powder coated ones. I have loaded some old jacked bullets I had sitting around in 45g 50g and my gun didnt like them at all. It was ok with 55g jacketed so I had on my wish list a heavy 223 mold. Wish list is going to be a while as money is tight.

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting 40 Gr V-max in my Ranch with good results at 100 yds. 200 yds, the group opens up ok for Coyotes, but not for Jacks. I have a Lee bator molds that I think might work, but really think heavier would be better. Let me know your progress. Money tight all over my friend. This is not a cheap hobby.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Not cheap, we're going broke saving money!

My American Compact shoots 52Gn Speer HPs like a house on fire. I have a new heavy 22 Group buy mould, that I can't find. That should work ok. I'm expecting that driven too fast the tight twist might trash the boolits. I won't know until I try I suppose. Must clean up the garage and find that mould (and a heap of other stuff that is missing!).
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I have been looking at the Compact American bolt action in 223 recently. How about an update? I am thinking of just shooting cast in it. The rifle just looks so handy and light weight. I don't require pinpoint accuracy - anything around 2 MOA would work fine in my travels.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I still haven't found my mould, so I haven't tried cast boolits yet, but the American Compact in 223 is a brilliant little rifle.

52Gn Federal Premium Vital Shok (I think that is the name, it is an Australia only load) shoots 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 100 and Aussie made factory ammo with Sierra 55Gn Spitzers a tad bigger groups.

Our range is 100 yards and I haven't tried longer ranges. I think it should go well with heavier bullets and boolits.

It is probably close to being my fav rifle, a little wand. The mag was a bit dicky at first, but someone here advised me to keep the plastic mag loaded for a week or so and it would be fine. It hasn't had a hiccup since.

I would really recommend this rifle as a nice walkabout rifle. Mine has a Leupold 2.8-8 VX2 scope, which matches the little rifle perfectly. It really punches above it's weight.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Walkabout rifle is a great description. Those Lee Bators (old style) shoot well in my various T/C's at about 18-1900 but I would like to push them to 2100 if I decide to get that bolt action Ranch rifle in couple months.