Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've got the itch to pop a Wheelie! Suggestions?

Boolit Master

I've got the itch to pop a Wheelie! Found One!

That's right, I want a revolver! That and i'm having some serious withdrawals, I haven't bought a gun in a couple months, lord help me, I'm about to succumb to my weakness!

Ok with that off my chest, i'm having some indecision on what to look for and pro's/con's, that kind of stuff. I'm not a wheelgun expert by any means and haven't owned many, couple .22 H&R's and a Rossi Circuit Judge carbine. I lust for a .460 XVR but that's not what this is about.

I am leaning towards something J-frame size, .38/.357 that I can carry to change it up a bit once in a while. I love shooting revolvers and want to play around loading .38/.357. I realize most of these are .38 only but not all and it would be nice to play with .357 also. Recoil doesn't bother me. Wouldn't mind the slight size increase to have a 6 gun over a 5 shot, I am torn. Also torn between that I like having a hammer spur for single action on the range but for carry, DAO is the way to go, no hammer spur to snag. There is the ugly duckling 638... It's a mix of I want a fun gun and would carry it some.

I am a S&W fan, they are high on my list of interests here. My heart tells me the little 642 would be a great pick. Also like the 637 and the 638 is still an option. I was considering the Bodyguard .38 but it really doesn't offer anything over a 642 except more $, a laser which I don't need and its image. The Ruger LCR is also a contender in my interests. I know they are good guns too. Available in .38/.357, DA/SA & DAO. The .327 Fed Mag is tempting! I can't count out an SP101 either. I am not at all opposed to getting a lovely, old classic, blued Smith goodness but so does everyone and their brother these days.

I'd like to hear from the resident wheel gun crowd, what do you like/dislike? What should I take a look at? I know this is somewhat subjective but I would love to hear what you guys & gals like!
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 03-30-2016 at 07:25 PM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Get a smith 357 use your 38spc and have mag if wanted

Boolit Master

I have SP101 Ruger 3" 357 I like it use it for my fishing / Boat gun but I would rather have this http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

The guns I really like (SP-101, GP-100) get pretty heavy carrying around in the field, unless you get a chest rig. I have found that in the field I really like a 5" or 6" barrel, but do need a serious holster to haul it around. Can't go wrong with 357 for this use.

Boolit Master
    Hmmmm....What I like and what you like might be 2 different things. A new S&W model 67 is mighty good. 38 only but I don't shoot many 357s in pistol. A 64 or 65 that shoots to the sights is a beauty and a joy forever. Most are close and grips ( and how you grip them) matter.

I have problems with leading until I went with commercial coated bullets and now Nirvana has arrived. One load shoots well in everything and no leading/no problems.

A wheelgun will make you grin. Everyone else chases the brass...I dump mine out of the gun into my range bag- done!

Dale

Boolit Master

Smith 640: a little extra weight to soak up .357 recoil, no hammer to snag, and it forces you to practice with the DA trigger you'd actually be depending on if you had to use it for real. You also get the satisfaction of owning a gun that's made of steel instead of beer can.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

For just plain shooting pleasure, the mid size 38/357 revolvers are tops. They have enough weight to hold well, attenuate recoil and they are large enough that there is decent leverage in the double action mode to make for smooth DA trigger manipulation. 38 target loads will kill most cans and paper targets and 357 Magnums will handle much of what needs to be done short of really big stuff.

The major US brands all have their strong points and weak points and I've owned 'em all at one point. While I've had good times with Pythons, Speed Six Rugers and Colt Official Police revolvers, my personal preference is for the K Frame S&Ws. I've carried them for hunting, on duty, for competition and for just plain good old plinking. If no social work is planned and you are in need of only a paper puncher, find a good used K38. If you want a 357, then the good Model 19 or its SS brother the Model 66 will serve you for a life time. The adjustable sights on these model will let you switch boolit weights and velocities and zero for each one.

If you decide on a small frame, take a serious look at the S&W Model 60 with a 3" barrel in 357 Magnum. With its adjustable sights, it makes for a great trail gun, a good CCW revolver and doesn't do too badly at the target range either. It's a jack of all trades so to say.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 03-27-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I love my wheel guns, there are so many options out there that it boggles the mind. I have both SA, and DA revolvers. Brands from Rossi, Colt, Pietta, and recently a S&W. IMO for the money the Ruger is the best bargain out there, they are not collectors guns. I bought the S&W Model 21 nickel because it was there, I could afford it, and yes it may become a collectors as smith is no longer selling them. The price was probably not much higher than a Ruger redhawk.

So check your budget, do a lot of searching, and feeling up different wheel guns then get what you want. If you do not like it, I will be happy to dispose of it if you ship it to me. No charge because I am just a nice guy, you pay the shipping though.

Boolit Master
    Excellent stuff guys, exactly what I was looking for! You all have some very valid points. I'm not opposed to bumping up to a K-frame size gun, they aren't that big, and I like the 3" barreled guns. I do like the Pro Series/Performance Center guns but I have to regurgitate something I have heard more than once, the Performance Center isn't what it used to be. There is some truth to that, my M&P 9L P-C was lacking on a few obvious fitting issues that I would have expected a custom shop to have handled. I'd still buy one though.

If I could find a Model 60 LDV, I would be all over it! I love the unfluted cylinder and full lug barrel but that was a TALO exclusive gun and only 500 them exist. I doubt i'll find one. There is always the 686 and the 3-5-7 TALO is the K-frame equivalent to the 60 LDV that I like. A getting a little pricey but not out of the question. I have some more window shopping & fondling to do but I have some more ideas to go off of. Thanks fellas!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

If you want six chambers and don't mind a hammer, 3" GP-100. Consider it the "tankified" version of the old FBI S&W 13/65.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Just some random thoughts going with what you gave us: A "J" frame is pretty small, light, harder to hang on to and unpleasant to shoot with hotter loads. If buying used, the older ones weren't certified for use with +P ammo. If you want a snubby, then a Mod. 10 or 15 that holds 6 rounds, or perhaps one of the late model Colt Detective Specials before they were discontinued, might be a better choice. Personally, I'm with those who like "K" frames, and as was pointed out by Scharf, a Mod. 19 or 66 will let you shoot magnums when you get the urge and last just about forever with .38s. Also, there's a lot to be said for having adjustable sights. If it's got to be tiny, then you might also want to take a look at the Taurus line of 5 and 6 shot .357 snubbies, especially the stainless models. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have fun!

Why not go whole-hog, buy a S&W 44 magnum round butt three inch barrel...

I personally would shy away from anything less than four inch barrel on a N Frame. Unless it is the titanium it is going to be heavy, and hard to conceal. The four inch is handful with 44 magnum loads with a round butt. Now if using 44 spl ammo it would be more comfortable, but then a 45acp would be more economical to shoot. Even in a 45 acp I would still go with nothing less than a 4 inch, especially since I open carry. I have carried 4 inch K Frames IWB which conceal just as well as 2 inch K Frames, back when I was required to conceal. Even when I owned a Colt Cobra is was not a pocket gun, J Frame just barely makes it as a pocket gun. A N Frame pocket gun would be an oxymoron IMO.

If OP is getting just for concealment, my vote would go to the LCR in 327.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EOD3 View Post
    Why not go whole-hog, buy a S&W 44 magnum round butt three inch barrel...
    I think that might be a little more than i'm shopping for right now, lol! I've not fired one but im sure your palms would know it afterwards! I'd had plenty of people tell me .357's out of small revolvers are a handful but the little Rossi I shot last was a pussycat. Just for giggles, I ran some of my USPSA 9mm open loads through my Shield, 124gr plated pushing about 1300fps and that honestly felt more harsh than the .357 Rossi. Maybe a little Scandium .357 would sting but I don't seem to be to bothered compared to others. I think I'll stick to a .357 dia bore as I have all kinds of molds that size I want to play with. How's that for an excuse! Buying a specific caliber of gun to suit my molds!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    I personally would shy away from anything less than four inch barrel on a N Frame. Unless it is the titanium it is going to be heavy, and hard to conceal. The four inch is handful with 44 magnum loads with a round butt. Now if using 44 spl ammo it would be more comfortable, but then a 45acp would be more economical to shoot. Even in a 45 acp I would still go with nothing less than a 4 inch, especially since I open carry. I have carried 4 inch K Frames IWB which conceal just as well as 2 inch K Frames, back when I was required to conceal. Even when I owned a Colt Cobra is was not a pocket gun, J Frame just barely makes it as a pocket gun. A N Frame pocket gun would be an oxymoron IMO.

If OP is getting just for concealment, my vote would go to the LCR in 327.
    See, having not carried a revolver any before, I really don't know if I'll end up carrying one more than I think... Its a blank space right now but it is a consideration as i'm going to give it a try. I for sure want to have a little range time fun with it. I'm not bothered by a little weight. My EDC now, M&P 9C certainly isn't a brick but it's on the bigger end of what most people would IWB and appendix carry no less. The 686 and others its size and weight are looking like a decent way to go. Ruger also has the Security Six that I forgot about. Colts are almost a myth around here and I'm not to crazy about the pull-back type latch.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Groo here
    Get a 3in in SP101 or M-60 .
    Find a set of grips that fit.[I go with thin Pachmyre"s that cover the back strap].
    I have a M-60-15 3in SS with adj sights and Pachs that I have shot with every thing from 38wc to 357 mag "Groo Monster Maulers".
    Thin, light, hides in an iwb holster but with the 3in still packs a punch with mags.

Boolit Master
    I'm hoping to get out a little early tomorrow and do some window shopping and checking as many of the suggested guns out!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Well, I managed to get off work early enough to swing by Cabelas and Academy sports to do a little window shopping! Academy has decent prices on stuff, probably the most fair out of the big box stores here and I have bought a few guns from them, I kinda like them because of it. Not a big selection though. They had 2 I liked, both little J-Frames. One was a Model 360, little .38+P Black finish Scandium frame Airweight, 5 shot, external hammer and it didn't have a stupid key lock! It does have a little plug where it goes but at least I wouldn't have to get rid of it myself. $450 sticker price. I do like it, DA pull is a little heavy but it is smooth and crisp, SA trigger was pretty nice too, light and crisp. The other, a 642, a little DAO I am sure you are all are aware of, $430 for it. For light little pocket rockets, I like them very much, preference to the 360 though, I just can't get around an external hammer for fun. IWB/appendix is my preferred method so having a spur probably isn't a huge concern, I'll be thumbing my shirt up should I need to grab it in a hurry. (Ideally I'd get the 642 and another as a range toy, carry around the farm gun)

I looked at an SP101 at both stores, not a bad gun by any means, they are the "little tank" and a known good gun but I do value fit & finish and the Ruger just isn't as nice in that department. I like the S&W trigger feel a little better for out of the box. SP101's and GP100's are a little bigger and heavier than their Smith counterpart.

I had a little time left to go to Cabelas, a good place to window shop and nice to have around if I need something in a pinch and once in a great while they have some reasonable prices but most stuff is overpriced. Surprise, surprise, they had quite a few revolvers on sale right now. No Model 360 but their price on a 642 was $399. They happened to have a Model 60 Pro Series on sale too, very nice little gun, more of what I am fancying right now. Pretty darn nice trigger, pretty wood grips, .357/.38, adjustable sights, 3" barrel, I like it! Wished it was a six gun but can live with it. On sale for $700 ($50 off normal), I almost gave in to impulse and said box it up. I noticed it had a little display rack rash on the left barrel flat, nothing serious but you could certainly see it in the bead blasted stainless finish. It was the only one they had too. I ask if they could apply a little blemish discount, he didn't think so but took my name & number and the gun dept. manager would call me about perhaps getting another in. That little M60 isn't by far the most expensive gun Smith makes but for a little J-Frame, it's not cheap! I'm pretty picky about the condition of my guns, especially something like a Pro Series/Performance Center, custom shop grade guns. And If i'm going to spend that kind of money, sticker price for a brand spankin' new gun, it had better be perfect! Now I could be swayed into taking that one home if they are willing to apply a blemish discount, but I doubt it. Cabelas "Sale Price" is about the going rate for one anyways, as I expected.

Also looked at a 686 Pro, SSR and a standard 686 Plus, both I liked, that SSR is sweet but tack on another $100. The 686 Plus is $700 also and a 7-shot VS 6 of the SSR.

I'd maybe take Cabelas little M60 if they discount it but otherwise, another shop I do business with. They will probably get my business for this revolver hunt as they have taken care of me, good, fair prices, typically less than everyone else locally and it's supporting a mom & pop gun shop which matters to me. Just gotta little drive to get there, hence the window shopping. I'll probably go with the little Pro Series Model 60 as I can carry it should I feel but it is tempting to go with the 686! 1-2 more rounds and just a bigger gun but there's no IWB'ing that sucker!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

You won't go wrong with a good Model 60 3" in 357. It's a good "Jack of all trades" so to say.

I carry mine often, and it's a great trail gun with it's increased power over the 38 Special. It did feel a little smaller than it really is when encountering a grizzly last summer. Fortunately the grizz was more interested in digging up ground squirrels than me.

My Model 60 3" 357 Magnum. With its adjustable sights, I can zero it from 38 wadcutters to 158 grain magnum loads without any fuss.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    See, having not carried a revolver any before, I really don't know if I'll end up carrying one more than I think... Its a blank space right now but it is a consideration as i'm going to give it a try. I for sure want to have a little range time fun with it. I'm not bothered by a little weight. My EDC now, M&P 9C certainly isn't a brick but it's on the bigger end of what most people would IWB and appendix carry no less. The 686 and others its size and weight are looking like a decent way to go. Ruger also has the Security Six that I forgot about. Colts are almost a myth around here and I'm not to crazy about the pull-back type latch.
    I can conceal a Glock 22 with no problem, same for 1911, or a K frame. But not an N Frame, though fat, I am not a huge person. I personally like the Colt latch, but that is just me. As far as Colts I have seen several Police Positive in four inch barrel around here. They typically go for around 300, to 500 dollars depending on condition. I was lucky and got mine for 170 because somebody had let it sit without care and it was very rusted. Still locked up fine, it is one of my favorite carry guns for around the house, and in the yard. It is 32-20 so it has almost zilch recoil.

One of my duty guns when I was young and skinny was a converted to 44 spl model 28. I loved that gun but could not conceal it, I opted for carrying a 1911 off duty. When issued a 4 inch K frame I found I could conceal it comfortably just as well as any IWB carry piece. I bought a new Colt Cobra for pocket carry, and found it too bulky for the pocket, so I traded it for a model 36.

When it comes to concealing a six shot K frame sized revolver the difference between 4 inch, and 3 inch is none as far as the comfort factor. But big difference from the one inch difference in performance. And then for most people 3 inch even in a J Frame is not very pocket gun worthy.

So just to be logical, and not all gun purchases are logical. I have no interest in anything less than a 4 inch unless the gun might be carried in a pocket, or my wife's purse. But then 3 inch barrels when built in limited manufacture most likely will become collectable. But as with any growing market others will step up to the plate.

It is like the Python, very collectable, very high market value. But when Python was mostly the only game for full ribbed, larger than a K frame revolvers was ended with the L frame, and then the GP100.

Both GP, and SP are readily available in 3 inch barrels. But the LCR is a much better pocket gun that either of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast