RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: A little leary about this..............

Boolit Buddy

A little leary about this..............

I'm really considering PP boolits in a couple calibers. A 45/70 and a 38/55. Have been shooting greasers up till now. But alas, I haven't a clue as even where to start. I do cast my own, so I'd like to continue that aspect. Where would be a good place to begin?

Thank you for your time,

Knarley
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Grand Master

Pick up Randolph S Wrights book Loading and Shooting the Paper Patched bullet a Beginneers Guide, Its very good and full of usefull information. You need to decide on a couple things first off. Do you want to shoot groove dia or bore dia bullets. Groove dia is easier to load in that standard dies work easier but they seat much deeper into the case. Bore dia can be seated 1/8" into case and set into bore obtrating to grip the rifleing when fired, this allows for more powder, but needs a sizing die smaller due to the smaller bullet dia. ( my 45s are .449 wrapped and 40s are .398-.399 dia not the full .459 or .411). Next up is decde what paper you want to use ( Seth cole is working very well for me) the paper thickness determines the needed bullet dia. Paper thickness X 4 -finished bullet dia will get you close to bullet dia needed. .0018 paper X 4 =.0072 .449-.0072 = .4418 so with a little pper stretch a .442 dia bullet should copme out just right. A patch board is nice to wrap quick and easy also. A template for cutting patches can be easily made up from thin metal stock. Some make a 12" long at width to cut strips then a parrallelogram for cutting ends, some use a simple pattern, some use a cutting board and guides. Paper Patching works and is very rewarding to do and work with. I find wrapping bullet to be relaxing also.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Knarley View Post
    Where would be a good place to begin?
    You asked your question in the Black Powder Paper Patching Forum.
    Should we take that to mean that you WILL be using black powder?

If you will ... do you plan to buy a bullet mould specifically for paper patched bullets?

After those two things are known, it's possible to provide targeted information.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I'm really considering PP boolits in a couple calibers. A 45/70 and a 38/55. Have been shooting greasers up till now. But alas, I haven't a clue as even where to start. I do cast my own, so I'd like to continue that aspect. Where would be a good place to begin?

Thank you for your time,

Knarley

Every question you might have is pretty much answered here. http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/PPB.htm

Boolit Master
    Knarley I can also recommend Randy Wright's book. It will definitely get you off on a good start. It's very well layed out and has good illustrations so everything is quite clear.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    You asked your question in the Black Powder Paper Patching Forum.
    Should we take that to mean that you WILL be using black powder?

If you will ... do you plan to buy a bullet mould specifically for paper patched bullets?

After those two things are known, it's possible to provide targeted information.
    Black Powder all the way. I cast already, a couple more molds wouldn't hurt, right?
    I have a "Sharps" in 45-70, an H&R Buffalo classic In 38-55, and a 1893 Marlin in 38-55 with a "Black Powder barrel".
    The postell greasers will not work in the 1893 they are too long. The wife also has a 336 Marlin in 38-55. The postells won't work, but they will fit inside the gun if loaded single shot style, pehaps the '93 would too haven't tried.

Knarley
    MOLON LABE

In Remembrance
    Probably best to stick with one rifle at a time ...
    Have you ever made a chamber cast of that Sharps, so you know the internal dimensions?

Have you ever looked for a supply of paper that is known to be suitable for paper patching?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar

Thank you for your time,

Knarley
    As has been said already a copy of Randy Whites book.For the 45-70 follow that up with a .444 diameter bullet about 500 grs. wrapped in a patch cut from the 8# tracing paper available at Staples in the drafting supply aisle, set that wrapped bullet on top of 70 grs. of 2f black powder and let the fun begin.
    Can't help on the 38-55, I only shot greasers in the one we had laying around here for a time.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Probably best to stick with one rifle at a time ...
    Have you ever made a chamber cast of that Sharps, so you know the internal dimensions?

Have you ever looked for a supply of paper that is known to be suitable for paper patching?
    No & no......
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Every question you might have is pretty much answered here. http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/PPB.htm
    Thank you sir, will do...

Knarley
    MOLON LABE

In Remembrance
    No & no......
    Okay, do you have some cases that were fired in that Sharps which have not been resized?
    Find the inner diameter of one of those, and you have a place to start when picking a bullet diameter.
    Then, get some paper. Get enough for your whole life ... or buy from a source that you think will be around as long as you need paper.

Put two wraps of your paper around a cylindrical object roughly the size of a bullet.
    Bolts and drill bits come to mind.

You want to know how much two wraps increases the diameter of the naked cylinder.

Once you know that your paper 'adds .006" (or whatever)', then you subtract .006 from the inner diameter of a fired case to find a suitable "groove size" bullet diameter.

If you prefer to shoot "bore size" bullets, you will need to have the bore diameter of the barrel to do that earlier calculation.
    That would be .006 subtracted from a bore diameter of something like .450".
    Slugging the bore is a good way to find this measurment.

As you may have noticed, there are two possible bullet diameters you can choose from.
    Each has it's advantages, and both can produce accurate ammunition.
    You must make that choice ... or buy bullet moulds in both sizes.

If it hasn't been messed with, that H&R 38-55 single shot has the prefect PP chamber for shooting bore diameter bullets. I use .366" in mine, 285gr. Patched up to .373" they fit the bore correctly, and loaded over 56gr. Old "E" FFg and a .060" poly wad they shoot incredibly well. (You have to drop tube and compress that charge, it only barely fits in a long Starline case)

Those rifles are chambered like an original 38-55, and don't work worth squat with hard bullets and smokeless powder. A fired case will barely accept a .375" bullet and the groove diameter is .380" - .381". But like I said, perfect for PP with the tight chamber and gentle throat angle.

You will also find the leverguns work best with groove diameter bullets, seated like normal bullets so they will run through the magazine. You will also find you like shooting leverguns with duplex loads better because they are a pain to wipe between shots and that keeps you shooting all day without wiping.

You're on your own with the Sharps - have to measure it to see what it likes.

-Nobade