Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone explain NOE expander plugs and dimensions?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    I think Gloob nailed it

use the smaller number, and size 0.001" OVER your boolit diameter, and you have adequate neck tension

too bad NOE has nothing on their site showing the diameters, and best practices

there are MANY out there making videos who think the smaller number is the LENGTH!!!

imagine that!
    Here is the picture of the ones I make.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF4639Expander drawing.jpg   resizedtextexpanderDSCF4401.jpg  
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    I think Gloob nailed it

use the smaller number, and size 0.001" OVER your boolit diameter, and you have adequate neck tension

too bad NOE has nothing on their site showing the diameters, and best practices

there are MANY out there making videos who think the smaller number is the LENGTH!!!

imagine that!
    Most of the Expander Die Sets that N.O.E. lists have a small image of a cutaway of the set with the case and expander shown. It is not really clear that what needs to be done is to click on the image and then clidk on the magnifying glass icon to expand the image. Some of the images have the expander die shown separately and clearly marked .

Hope this helps.
    [click on the images below to expand]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 30-30 Win expander die set.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	325051 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30-30 Winchestet_Expander_Set.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	325050
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 03-25-2024 at 10:39 AM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

IIRC NOE 30/30 expander is not long enough to expand all the neck. I use a lyman 311 M expander, it's longer. The stepped expanders give a large flare to the mouth and the STOP step is sometimes hard to find when expanding - requires a very careful set-up of the die.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    IIRC NOE 30/30 expander is not long enough to expand all the neck. I use a lyman 311 M expander, it's longer. The stepped expanders give a large flare to the mouth and the STOP step is sometimes hard to find when expanding - requires a very careful set-up of the die.
    Some of the early expanders that are not Powder through expanders may be a little short, but the latest Powder through expanders were all designed from the SAAMI Cartridge Neck Dimensions.
    Each SAAMI Cartridge expander is offered with a specific expander that is tailored to the SAAMI neck dimensions and the expanders are designed so that, even if the top step expander is not utilized, the expander will still reach throught the length of the cartridge neck.

Also, the image that accompanies each catalog offering displays a specific amount of turns up from contact with the shell plate that will place the expander just short of entering the flare portion of the expander. The die can then be incremented down until the desired amount of flare is achieved.

Hope this helps.

[click on image to view larger image]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30_30_Win_Case_With_PTE_Die.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	325068 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30-30 die turns 5.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	325069
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 03-25-2024 at 07:53 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Very helpful

Thank you Mr. Myers
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

I had a .312×.308 expander that was not sufficient in length to expand a 30-30 case neck to the shoulder even when I used the maximum amount of step. I purchased it about 4 years ago; a solid expander. Not sure If I still have it or if I passed it on, I'll have to check.

Are the new ones longer?

I use NOE expanders in pistol calibers without issue.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I had a .312×.308 expander that was not sufficient in length to expand a 30-30 case neck to the shoulder even when I used the maximum amount of step. I purchased it about 4 years ago; a solid expander. Not sure If I still have it or if I passed it on, I'll have to check.

Are the new ones longer?

I use NOE expanders in pistol calibers without issue.
    The

The new Powder throught Expanders are each long enought to reach the full length of a SAAMI spec Case neck in that specific caliber.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Buddy
    NOE's current powder through expanders are all over the place, some are old stock with the step inside where powder would get stuck, very few are the new style with the machined funnel inside, some are stamped to show the size, most do not have any markings so if you are a little disorganized you will not know what size expander you've got unless you measure whenever you switch them. I called NOE about my recent order and was told that the machines are down and not working so the new style powder through expanders may not be available til July-August? If he had noted these issues on his website I would have waited til whenever they all changed to the new style. I unknowingly paid modern prices for lots of old stock powder through expanders and only one NEW style. If the old vs new thing doesn't matter to you...then the expanders do work great. If you are wanting the, "latest and greatest" as Al put it, then you'd better wait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12