Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Corbin press?

Boolit Master

Corbin press?

I saved a pair of presses that say Corbin on the toggle arms and SAS on the handle and are an odd lime green color. The top is bushed to 7/8-14. They are missing the rams. Are they any good? Should I venture the time to build rams? Then the dies and all the other sundries will surely follow. Was this a plant, like bait, to get me making jacketed bullets? well, I'm playing with it but I haven't swallowed it, yet! Sigh..........
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

If this is the S-Press by Dave Corbin They are very good presses. I paid $450.00 with a specialty lead die for mine used. Check Dave Corbin's and Richard Corbin's sites and see if you see a picture of the presses you obtained. The press I have has an adapter that turns it into a very stout loading press. The Corbin dies are expensive compared to BT's or similar.

This is mine next to a RCBS Lube Sizer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loading bench-a.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	164433
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Pictures would help.

Boolit Master

Are the presses vertical or horizontal. When you said it had SAS on the handle it sounds like the
    Corbin Mity-Mite horizontal press. Corbin based it on the old SAS design. The ram would be threaded 5/8-24 and use the .750 dia. "M"dies. If that is the case, I could measure mine and give you the dimensions.
    "M" dies are usually priced reasonably on the used market and Dave Corbin has them available on his site.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master
    I've got a rather handsome chromed SAS press which I bouht on eBay with some dies for forming .22 bullets from rimfire jackets. I haven't yet got around to doing anything else with it, beyond buying a 9/16 - 18 UNF die to make dies. That is the thread in my ram, although I have heard that there can be others. I have also heard of a larger and finer thread being used than the 7/8 - 14 in the frame of mine.

Attachment 164489

Here are a couple of threads which mention SAS dies being 5/8 - 24 threaded, and fitting into a 7/8 - 14 die holder. Presumably there was a punch in this for knocking out the bullet, core or jacket. But mine is definitely set up for the die to be in the ram, and a floating punch holder in the 7/8in. frame threads. If you google SAS press picture you will see pictures of presses which must be the same. They have the same stud in unpainted and unplated steel on the top of the cylindrical part, which is what actuates the ejection pin in the die.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...te-swage-press

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...arts-SAS-Press

I don't believe dies with the 9/16 thread are standard items from Corbin any more (and non-standard becomes even more expensive.) I intend someday, to internally thread a No.2 Morse taper arbor to hold dies by the thread for further lathe operations. Maybe someone else still makes them. The press could also be used for case-forming operations which would be a bit much for an ordinary loading press, such as reducing the solid head of a case.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 03-26-2016 at 07:45 AM.