Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to try and build a casting machine and sizer

Boolit Master

Going to try and build a casting machine and sizer

As the topic says, i'm going to have a shot and building a casting machine based on a master caster. I have a MC that is automated, i want to have a go at building two friends for it. I picked up the main parts to do the build, i just need to work out how to put them together.

To go with the casting machine(s) i want to build a sizer, i have a motor to drive it and the start of the design in my head. The only limiting factor to all of this is time. It's going to take a while, but with a bit of luck i'll get there.

As there are a few members here that like to make their own gear, i figured some may be interested in this project. Either it will work, or fail miserably

So far this is what i have on hand to start:
    Heating bands for the pot:

Electric motor for the sizer and a piece of pipe to make two pots with. Just the right size for one of the heating bands:

Cylinders, a few valves (need more but i have time till they are needed) and air regulators:

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You sure got more time on your hands than I do!

Good luck. Let us know of your success.

banger

Boolit Master

good luck and remember pictures or it didn't happen
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I'll be sure to post progress when it happens

Boolit Master
    hehe, that is the first rule of the internet

Boolit Master
    Making slow progress, life keeps getting in the way.

I have a friend that when he sizes, he has to size base first as he uses flat base bullet molds, if not, he gets whiskers of lead on the base. This has be wondering if i can size the same way if i make the punch match the profile of the nose of the projectile? Without having more support on the nose, it would deform it when sizing base first.

The only reason i am considering this is so i don't need to flip the projectiles from the bullet collator.

Thoughts on if it's worth while going to the trouble of making different punches for different projectile profiles? or just suck it up and make a flipper?

You are already starting off ahead of me. Better components and a machine on hand to copy. Looking forward to the build photos.

Boolit Bub
    I came across a homemade one on youtube. wounder if its a member? it used a pre-melt pot pretty cool. sometimes i wish i didn't have the big machines so i could build more stuff!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1IJ7G0U3yY

What is the sizer going to be like? I would make the bullet feed bar like the lubemasters and not like the stars. the way north valley updated the mark 6 hand sizer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYT5w0sONMo
    Last edited by AbluquerqueBullet,LLC; 04-23-2016 at 12:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    I think i have seen that casting machine on youtube before, but not the sizer.

The sizer i'm working on is going to be close to the star style, ram goes up and down then there is a slider that will move projectiles from a tube to under the ram. Gremlin on here built one the same way, but used a lee reloading press. Because i'm cheap , i'm trying to make it all from scratch

Today, i mounted the bushing for the ram rod to some C section steel, i welded the base to it with a hole for the sizing die to poke through. I machined a thread into a lump of square steel for the sizing die to screw into. My idea of how i was going to mount this threaded piece won't work how i wanted it to, so i'll have to re-think it. I had plans of mounting it with screws so i could adjust it to get it spot on, As whenever you weld something, it moves, even if it's only slight. With bolting it in place, i can adjust for any warping from the welding. I may bolt it in place and weld around it, the bolts may hold it well enough for it to not move.

I need to get a few pictures, i didn't get as much done today as i wanted. I keep getting side tracked with other projects, that and i keep second guessing myself with how i'm going about it. I hope to get it right, or close to right the first time around
    Last edited by runfiverun; 04-25-2016 at 11:28 PM.

On my first homemade auto sizer I made everything including the dies. Instead of making everything threaded I just had the dies slip fit the base and used a set collar to hold them in place.

This is what it looks like from the bottom.
    http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmo...ml?sort=6&o=20

The key to having perfect welded parts is to machine them after welding but you can get very close even welding after, if you have good fixtures.

Going to try and build a casting machine and sizer

I love seeing these home builds for loading, casting, sizing machines. As I was watching the YouTube link above, it hit me, how does it fill both cavities? It looked like a single stream and I couldn't tell that the mold moved at all when filling.

I can see it working fine if the sprue plate had all cavities connected, like some of the old gang molds have.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Bub
    it has 2 steams of lead the melting pot has a slit on the bottom going front to back then there is a orifice plate with 2 holes that bolts over the slit the lead can only flow from the holes in the plate . they make a plate with a center hold for single cavity molds.

The poster of the youtube video has more videos of it the one called 135 is a very detailed slower vid.
    Last edited by AbluquerqueBullet,LLC; 04-23-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Doh non-lubing sizers? how can post a video for me of mine? over 5100 per hour i think it runs at. i am not the most computerable.

If your looking for a casting machine, I have a Mark-X machine with base and all upgrades, plus 4- .452-225-RN molds included for $2600 + shipping.
    Attachment 166861

Quote Originally Posted by AbluquerqueBullet,LLC View Post
    it has 2 steams of lead the melting pot has a slit on the bottom going front to back then there is a orifice plate with 2 holes that bolts over the slit the lead can only flow from the holes in the plate . they make a plate with a center hold for single cavity molds.

The poster of the youtube video has more videos of it the one called 135 is a very detailed slower vid.
    Got it. Great concept!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by nh7792 View Post
    If your looking for a casting machine, I have a Mark-X machine with base and all upgrades, plus 4- .452-225-RN molds included for $2600 + shipping.
    Attachment 166861

Wounder how much shipping would be all the way to the AU.

Boolit Master
    Jmorris - That was the ideal way of doing it, but i couldn't work out how to machine it after welding..... That idea did roll around in my head Hopefully this say will work too, i just need to work out if my idea of mounting with bolts will handle the forces of sizing, which i believe it will. When i hand size, it doesn't take a whole lot of force to push them through. I'll try and get some pictures so you can see what i'm doing, you or others may have ideas of what i should do.

abuquerqueBullet - If you can upload it to a site like photobucket, you can paste a link of it running that way, that sure sounds like a fancy machine running that fast

Boolit Master
    Shipping to .au wouldn't be nice, the MC i got a good 10 years ago cost me $200 USD for surface post.

Boolit Bub
    The punch is not in the machine in the video i don't remember where i put it i don't use this machine.

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/AB...tml?sort=3&o=0

video form the seller i got it from
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj9D7qluqqY

Boolit Bub
    abuquerqueBullet - If you can upload it to a site like photobucket, you can paste a link of it running that way, that sure sounds like a fancy machine running that fast[/QUOTE]

It is actually very basic.