RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Browning 1886 SRC Load suggestions

Boolit Grand Master

Browning 1886 SRC Load suggestions

Loaded up my typical hunting load of 405gr WFN and 50 some odd grains of Varget and took my Turnbullized Browning 1886 to the range. Accuracy was superb, however, 8-10 inches high at 50 yards. Instead of heading to the range and trying to tweak a bunch of loads, does anyone have a proven load with either 350/400 weight class boolits that shoots to point of aim at 50-100 yard that would give me a place to start. I’ve got most common powders except 3031.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 11-15-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have had several 45-70's, one of which is an 1886 also done by Turnbull. It really likes 4198, Rel7, and 2400 powders. I have to add that all of my 45-70s required changing front sights after finding my most accurate loads. I suggest you find a very good grouping load and then change the sight if needed. My 1886 will shoot five shots into 1.5-1.7" at a measured 114 yards on a very consistent basis. (114 is my deck at camp to my backstop...that's why the odd distance). I will also add that I never found a bullet lighter than 400g that shot as well as the heavier ones. They shot "OK", but not the best. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    The easiest solution might be to get one of the Skinner tall front sights that is designed to let you file it down to get the correct POI for your load. I would think that with the lighter weight SRC something in the 350 grain range with a decent meplat might be more comfortable to shoot and plenty heavy enough for most game animals. GF

I shoot a 350 gr. Ranchdog RNFP cast in my 45/70 with 43 gr. of IMR-4198 for about 1900 fps. I have numerous targets with that load showing 1 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Have also taken 3 bison with that load and they were one shot kills on the spot they were shot. This load is just under 29,000 CUP and can be used also in a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps repo. Well under the max pressure for a 1886 or Marlin 1895.

Do you still have that horrible ladder sight on it? I switched mine for semi buckhorn, which improved the accuracy, but groups raised multiple inches. I have since had a taller blade installed, and it shoots great now.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah. The ladder sight is still on there. I’m fine with it in the down position but it’s definitely not a good vernier or other type of precision sight.

Boolit Master
    To find the right height front sight divide the distance you're off splt the difference and call it 9 inches by the range you're shooting in inches 50 yds= 1200 now take that number and multiply times barrel length the resulting number is how high your front sight needs to be. I had an 1885 with a 24" barrel that shot 9" high at 50 yds ended up replacing the front sight with one that was .180 with a William's peep it was dead on after that.