Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low cost brass cleaning - round one

Boolit Master

Low cost brass cleaning - round one

The idea came to me the other day as I was picking up my spent brass at the range. The range officers know I reload, assign me in an end stall and sweep ALL the brass into a pile behind me. My brass is easily identified, way dirtier than all the recently once fired stuff. While I am not easily embarrassed, (actually a brass cleaning system is on my wish list) I decided I should do something to enhance my range image.
    Today I put a used .30 caliber bore brush in my cordless drill. I pushed a grungy .30 carbine brass over it and ran the drill for 15 seconds while holding a piece of 0000 steel wool on the brass. Sadly the result didn't look like a new brass, but it did look a lot cleaner. Considering the brass had been lying in a coffee can for 10 years with a bunch of its peers, it really doesn't look too bad. Especially since I want to buy a case trimmer. I may try a coarser grade of wool next. Or some polishing compound.

The pic on right is dirty brass mounted on brush, middle one is brush in drill, one on left is "cleaned" brass on brush. In all 3 pics the piece of brass laying on bench furthest from drill chuck has also been "cleaned"
    Did 40 pieces in 15 minutes, blew them off w/ compressed air. The brush even cleaned the inside most of the way down to the primer pocket.

Attachment 164207Attachment 164208Attachment 164209

Boolit Master

Try this. Take your (preferably deprimed) dirty brass and put in in a big bowl of hot water. Add some dish soap and some vinegar or lemon juice. Run your hands through, mixing and turning the bras over and over for five or ten minutes, then let sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Drain and rinse thoroughly, then lay out on an old towel to dry. It helps to agitate the brass so that no water droplets are left to make spots as they dry. Not perfect but cleans up nasty brass pretty good. Or use an old pillow case with dirty brass inside. Tie the end up tight and run through the clothes washer and dryer. Best to do without the Mrs. around.

Boolit Master
    I was going to suggest SS pins and a tumbler, but then noticed the "low cost" cleaning. I'd go for the washing machine first try as it seems the least amount of labor. Lemishine and dawn soap cleaned up my first few batches fine before I got a tumbler.

Boolit Master
    I use an empty powder jug and just swish it around for three mins. Oh put in dawn lemon juice and hot water. I do this for small batches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01456.jpg  

Boolit Master

Find an old ink jet printer. Doesn't have to work. Make sure it has a sheet metal base plate and metal brackets for the paper rollers. Strip it down to the frame and paper rollers. Wire the power supply up to the motor turning the paper roller. Get a cheap jug from the dollar store with a wide mouth watertight screw on lid. Instant rotary tumbler

Boolit Buddy
    For dirt cheap clean brass a dab of lemishine on a rag. Rub brass and dry on clean rag. Try it once,works great.

I use the citric acid wash, it's cheap. We used to wash our empty shot shells in the washing machine and run them through the dryer, with the wife's blessing. I might try that with some brass.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 35 buck wet tumbler from HF, with water, a splash of dish soap, and a cap of lemon juice. Cheap, and gets them nice and shiny!!

Boolit Master
    5 gallon bucket, soap (optional), hot water, rinse, repeat. It takes under 5 minutes and is just as functional as buying the most high end tumbler and spending crazy amounts of money on media and SS pins.

To dry I lay out the brass on a towel in the basement. If you want the to spend an additional 5 minutes rolling the brass around on the towel you can actually clean up the cases pretty well.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler for $164.99 at Amazon - uses water, Dawn dish detergent and Lemishine to wash 8 pounds of brass in 3 hours

https://youtu.be/-CK252BJn_4
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler for $164.99 at Amazon - uses water, Dawn dish detergent and Lemishine to wash 8 pounds of brass in 3 hours

https://youtu.be/-CK252BJn_4
    One of my loading pards bought one and the timer went out on the second batch…they sent him another 'complete' unit without question…hows that for customer service?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, BTDT. Before I got a tumbler I had been reloading for mebbe 12 years and I used a hardwood dowel, tapered, for a "mandrel" to clean my brass whenever I wanted some "BBQ Ammo". Shove a case on the mandrel/dowel and use some steel wool. Sometimes the nekkid brass would tarnish in a few days so I tried some "Pledge" spray on the steel wool, just enough to leave a very light film of polish on the brass. Worked for me...

My first encounter with reloaders was at a Police Range and two fellers that I saw each time I went there were shooting "brown" ammo in their 1911s. Getting closer and finally getting up courage to ask, they told me they reloaded their own ammo and just wiped the cases. Whatever they were doing worked as their targets (a few magazines worth fired at each target) usually showed one hole about 2" @50'. Tumbling ammo to get a shine wasn't considered important back then, I guess...
    Last edited by mdi; 03-24-2016 at 12:59 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    One of my loading pards bought one and the timer went out on the second batch…they sent him another 'complete' unit without question…hows that for customer service?
    I bought mine over a year ago because of a hernia surgery. My commercial tumbler weighs about 65 pounds loaded with 16 pounds of brass, water, ss pins, etc. So I bought the Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler so that I could keep washing & reloading while waiting to heal up. Honestly, its so much easier to wash brass with, does as good of a job as my commercial unit and is so much lighter, I would never get rid of it. If it quit working tomorrow, I would order another one within minutes. No plans on getting rid of my commercial rotary tumbler but honestly don't know if I would ever use it again.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

PS…saw that movie on YT…a Harbor Freight 'router speed control' @ $19.99 ought to slow them down…if that's an issue…prolly quieter that way too.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    The idea came to me the other day as I was picking up my spent brass at the range. The range officers know I reload, assign me in an end stall and sweep ALL the brass into a pile behind me. My brass is easily identified, way dirtier than all the recently once fired stuff. While I am not easily embarrassed, (actually a brass cleaning system is on my wish list) I decided I should do something to enhance my range image.
    Today I put a used .30 caliber bore brush in my cordless drill. I pushed a grungy .30 carbine brass over it and ran the drill for 15 seconds while holding a piece of 0000 steel wool on the brass. Sadly the result didn't look like a new brass, but it did look a lot cleaner. Considering the brass had been lying in a coffee can for 10 years with a bunch of its peers, it really doesn't look too bad. Especially since I want to buy a case trimmer. I may try a coarser grade of wool next. Or some polishing compound.

The pic on right is dirty brass mounted on brush, middle one is brush in drill, one on left is "cleaned" brass on brush. In all 3 pics the piece of brass laying on bench furthest from drill chuck has also been "cleaned"
    Did 40 pieces in 15 minutes, blew them off w/ compressed air. The brush even cleaned the inside most of the way down to the primer pocket.

I did it that way years ago, my brass looked new. I used a worn brush for inside the neck and wrapped some 0000 around it, had to fit fairly tight. Then in my other hand I wrapped 0000 all around the case. If I squeezed a bit the case stopped turning and the brush cleaned inside the neck. Lighten up the grip and the brush inside the neck caught and spun the case in your hand. But it sure was a slow process! Now I have a vibrator tumbler from Midway. Throw case's in and leave it several hours. They don't look new but they are clean! For me, the point of the process is simply to clean them!

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Try some white (fine) or green (medium) Scotchbrite instead of the 0000 wool. Polishes much faster.

Boolit Buddy
    I've always just used crushed walnut from the pet store, 30 years. Always got clean shines brass. Wet tumbling just seems like a lot more work. ......But......I was at the the beekeepers store and saw some citric acid powder in a baggie. Thought why not. Got home and added just a dash to some water and soaked, no agitation, some old BP range pick ups. Wow I was amazed how clean and shiney they got in 5 minutes.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post

My time is worth a lot. Will not waste it cleaning 160 cases an hour. Many better options posted above

Boolit Master

Your on the track of how I cleaned brass for years when I was a young Marine with little cash. Lee could be your answer to current cleaning needs and near term requirements for trimming brass.

You might consider buying a Lee Case Trimmer and Lock Stud (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476...-and-lock-stud). this gives you the Stud to go in your drill.

Then buy the Lee Case & Shellholder for .30 Carbine (or other cases you reload for). http://www.midwayusa.com/product/251...der-30-carbine . This gives you the case head/Shell holder you need to cinch the Case down while you polish the brass case with 0000 steel wool, or other appropriate brass cleaning material. I still use this for my 50BMG applications as it is much more rapid than 5 or 6 cases in a tumbler at a time.

This low tech/low cost solution might be your best option for now.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I see a lot of post on cleaning with lemon juice and soap and just laying on a towel to dry, I wet clean my brass during the winter I shake it off good and toss it in the walnut vibe cleaner to dry it. But during the summer or really just shiny days try laying it out in the sun on a towel. Warning the brass gets real hot so don't just grab a handful odd how something that is reflecting so much light will retain so much of the heat.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast