MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prices for Titegroup powder

Prices for Titegroup powder

Why is it, whenever I find quantities of powder, either online or in the store, Titegroup is always considerably cheaper than other powders? Often by as much as $30 less for an eight pound jug.

Boolit Master
    My guess is it's a supply vs demand thing. I'll bet the primary users of Titegroup are people running 38 Spl, 44 Spl and 45 Colt. And I'll bet those of us non-magnum revolver users are getting few and far between. A powder retailer needs to move product, so they use price to make it move.

My guess. Now let's see if someone knows the answer.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe it costs less to produce. I have a good supply and use it for 9mm.

Boolit Master
    Titegroups costs about $30 less per 8# can when ordering via Powder Valley.. I sell it for $140/can at my Rod & Gun Club while HS6 and other powders go for $170-$190 for the same 8#.

Banned

Dang.
    I buy bout everything pistol for around 140 an 8 lber.
    tite-group might be a little cheaper, I don't remember what I paid for the last jug I bought.
    160-180ish is rifle powder prices in my area.
    by the pound pistol is 22ish and rifle is 25ish.

it might be cheaper because a jug last about 20 years.

I guess I have something in the middle going on here. I've had access to pretty much all powders throughout the shortage, post-shortage, etc. However...I've been paying close to $30/lb for most. It never went up...but also never goes down!? All in all...I'll take it.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Bought a 8 pound jug from Midsouth at the beginning for this year. $117 plus ship and hasmat. My mistake was that I did not buy two jugs.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Funny, that, TG is the ONLY powder I have tested (and I tested a LOT of them) that attacks powder coating. Softens and sticks to the base of the BBDT boolits. Must be the nitro mix in it?

No big whoop. I have seen no degradation of performance after being stored nose down for a year. There is an in-depth thread on here about it, if interested. I am not going to detail all the powders tested by others or me.

I use only ETR7 these daze.......cleaner burning and load data tracks TG.

Titegroup and Titewad are both considerably cheaper out here than most of the Hodgdon and even some of the Alliant powders.

Even though Titegroup gets a lot of bad mouthing in reloaders' forums, I've tested enough to see that in a pinch I could use this powder for all my handguns (9 through 45) and shotgun loads (target, buckshot and slugs). It's clearly not the best but it can be made to work competently in all. A good excuse for keeping a jug squirreled away just in case.
    Last edited by rsrocket1; 03-24-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Titegroup lasts years? Not sure how that is true.. though.. 3.3 gr with a 135 gets about 16,800 rds.. give/take.. it's good for maybe 6 months for me..

It would take me a bit longer than 6 months, but I could get it shot up in 12-16 months.

Boolit Master
    Local shop has it for 28.97 a pound. God I hate franks.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Titegroup powder does really well with very light bullets but can not make hi-velocity rounds with the midrange or heavy bullets. It does make some good shooting rounds !
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    Titegroup powder does really well with very light bullets but can not make hi-velocity rounds with the midrange or heavy bullets. It does make some good shooting rounds !
    What cartridge are you referring to. Titegroup seems to work quite well with all bullet weights in my non-magnum cartridges.

Boolit Master
    I use titegroup a bit in my revolvers so that was correct. I assume the cheaper per/lb cost is due to cheaper manufacturing? I seem to remember reading here awhile back that the new powders were easier/more efficient to produce vs the old stand bys (bullseye, unique, etc). Maybe someone else remembers more.

Boolit Buddy
    Local PA gun show had it today for $20 lb. It was all over the place.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm using up some etr7 that is supposed to be very close to titegroup. I'm finding something near what Bonz is saying. Seems to be better with the lighter weight for caliber boolits which is what i mostly use for target
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

$400 at grafs for an 8 pounder.

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    $400 at grafs for an 8 pounder.
    I just checked and your quote is inaccurate. The price I see is $137.39 but is out of stock.
    https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...productId/5599

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    What cartridge are you referring to. Titegroup seems to work quite well with all bullet weights in my non-magnum cartridges.
    When I reload 45acp with 230 grain bullets, I try to reach the 850 fps threshold. I don't have a chronograph or a place to use one so I rely on my Lee Reloading manual. It shows that a "full pressure" load of 4.8 grains of Titegroup should yield a 45acp 230 grain lead bullet speed of 855 fps. Or I can use a "minimum or lowest pressure" load of 7.0 grains of Ramshot Silhouette that the Lee manual says should yield a 45acp 230 grain lead bullet speed of 882 fps. It just depends on what results the reloader is looking for. I reload my 165 grain .40 & 124 grain 9mm to hit/exceed 1000 fps which is easy to do with a "minimum" load of VihtaVuori 3N37. I always use the powder that will hit the speed that I want but keep the pressure at the lowest.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast