Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: which one is the most accurate and consistent beam scale

Boolit Master
    Great job! Thanks again for sharing.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    You make me blush sir.
    I just can't get my mashed, curled up mechanic fingers to do the kind of stuff you do. I tried touching up that Hornady LNL beam scale I talked with you about but after finding a 40 plus year old Ohaus 10-10 complete in box and original manual which is like new I put it away for another day. This 10-10 is more accurate than any I've used.

Boolit Master
    RCBS 505 is the one I use and check weights are a good investment.

Boolit Master
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    my suggestion is to get check weights near the size you load a a scale to match. If all you load is 5 to 10 gr than a 500gr weight is to much. so is a 2000gr scale.

Boolit Master
    +1 for the Redding No.2 scale, great piece of kit.

ukrifleman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I've got a 304 that I use everyday. 1110 grain capacity. I've had it for 20 years. If you don't need that much capacity, a 10-10 would be my next pick.
    I sure agree with the RCBS 304. I got mine about 1982 and it has been what I use at my home reloading station. Wish I could find a new cover for it though...

Around 1970, or thereabout, I purchased the Rockchucker kit. It came with a 5-10 scale. I use it at my little camp that I have at my shooting range. I let it there with other less expensive reloading equipment in case someone decides to help themselves the the contents of the cabin. The 5-10 has worked well and is accurate as I have checked it a few times with the Lyman weights...

Good-luck...BCB

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    RCBS 10-10 made by Ohaus. Ive got two, bought two lost parts ones for $60. The other one is an original Ohaus still in the box.

Attachment 164175
    Well Fred it appears that Ohaus made the same scale different box for Lyman also. I have used this scale since I was a kid. OP, you are correct in the fact that you can find these vintage scales. But like with a good woman.............you must be patient.

Attachment 164720

Boolit Master
    I have seen elaborate methods of keeping a scale from bouncing when you pick up the pan and getting off stuck zero when trickling but I think Bullwolf has added a new meaning to KISS method. THANKS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    I have seen elaborate methods of keeping a scale from bouncing when you pick up the pan and getting off stuck zero when trickling but I think Bullwolf has added a new meaning to KISS method. THANKS
    Also, if your kinetic/impact bullet puller did not come with one...

Placing a foam ear plug inside the nose area, helps to protect soft cast lead boolits from impact damage.

- Bullwolf

The old-school Redding would be my second choice... the RCBS 304 / Ohaus Dial-a-grain is the GRAIL of beams IMHO!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

I did buy an older Ohaus 5-0-5. it should be here soon . I just noticed on the pic ,the arm shows grams. I thought they measured in grains. haha no one said there would be math. Am I reading it wrong ? I guess Im not understanding something ???
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used most of the balance beam scales that were available in the 1980's-90's. They all worked, just some were easier to use than others.

The RCBS 502 and 505 work, but I liked the micrometer adjustment on the 510 better.

I now have and use both a Lyman/Ohaus 1010 like ncbearman shows and the RCBS version of the 1010 with the dial. I personally like the dial better.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    ncbearmans pic is of a lyman m5. lyman m5 is brown ohaus 1005 is the same scale usually grey. ohaus made a 505 grain version of this scale in red or sometimes brown. beam and bearings are all the same for this family of scales. magnetic damping is also the same. best scale a man can get.

I own Redding #1, Bair, Lee, Ohaus 10-10 didn't pay over ten bucks for any of them.
    Go for the Ohaus 10-10 or one of its variants (RCBS, Lyman ).
    Lee wasn't worth bringing home but might make a good starter set for one of the kids.
    Redding #1 my starter set, good machine but no dampening ( Wow what a concept ).
    Bair great machine,accurate. A bit cumbersome using my big fat German fingers to get that thing to the next increment ,but would never sell it though.

Well I bought 2. Ohaus 505 scales,figured I could keep the best one,and trade the other,well I didn't like either one.the pan on those are huge and there don't seem to be a way of calibrating it,live and learn.
    so I did find a rarely used rcbs 505 in box with manual.it zero d out the first time. It's awesome.
    anyone want to trade for 2 ohaus 505 scales? Pm me. I need 45 colt brass, and 45 colt casting molds. Note the scales need a tinkerers touch,which I'm not.
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Le Loup Solitaire
    Regardless of which brand of beam scale you use, you should have a set of checkweights to use for checking on the accuracy of the scale. A set of weights already made by for example Lyman can be a bit pricey, but worth it when you think about it. Safety is priceless. You can make a set yourself using coins or various pieces of copper wire cut to specified lengths and appropriately marked. Whatever you decide to use as "weights" need to be calibrated/weighed by someone with an accurate scale such as used in a lab or a pharmacy. It only takes a few minutes to do so. Keep your weights in a small plastic box and handle them with a tweezer(s) to keep them clean and free of oxide. They will last a lifetime and keep your scale honest. LLS

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by edadmartin View Post
    Well I bought 2. Ohaus 505 scales,figured I could keep the best one,and trade the other,well I didn't like either one.the pan on those are huge and there don't seem to be a way of calibrating it,live and learn.
    so I did find a rarely used rcbs 505 in box with manual.it zero d out the first time. It's awesome.
    anyone want to trade for 2 ohaus 505 scales? Pm me. I need 45 colt brass, and 45 colt casting molds. Note the scales need a tinkerers touch,which I'm not.
    http://www.ammosmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=9522.0

I just purchased a used RBCS 1010 powder scale that is missing the "tenths" stick on label. Has anyone requested and received this item from RCBS?

Thanks

Leon

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    I just purchased a used RBCS 1010 powder scale that is missing the "tenths" stick on label. Has anyone requested and received this item from RCBS?

Thanks

Leon
    Only just a couple of days ago I received and old grey Ohaus 10/10 that was in a bit of a sad state - The 10th label was missing but luckily it was in a small plastic bag in the box.

If you do find one, when you stick it on make sure it lines up with the barrel poise when it's set to zero, there about a 10th inch side to side movement available for the label to fit.

The old 10/10 has been returned to duty and is within two or three kernels of powder right through the range - Not bad for scale that around 50 years old.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/35mrha4kd4...N6429.MOV?dl=0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast