WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: which one is the most accurate and consistent beam scale

Boolit Grand Master

I moved up from the 505 to the 1010 because a) my boys destroyed the 505, and b) I needed to weigh some 500+gr boolits. Today I'd stick with the 505 and get an electronic scale for the boolits. That wasn't an option then.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I also use a 5-0-5 RCBS. I check it at the beginning of each reloading session using check weights. I find for me the 5-0-5 is easier to see and adjust than the rotary 1010. I have a 5x magnifier setting in front of the pointer of the 5-0-5 this helps to see the reading easier and quicker.

I use electronic scales but have to zero the scales a lot and check against the 5-0-5.

There was an Ohaus 10-10 in swapin/sellin a few days ago, I almost bought it myself because it looked so good but I don't need any more scales I already have a half dozen or more.

With a photo switch I can detect a 1 kernel change using IMR 303, thats around two hundredths of a grain.

Boolit Master

You can spend a lot on an electronic scale if you are so inclined.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/citizen-cx165.html

Thirty years with my Hornady M, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. An RCBS would also be high on my list as well because of their quality and great customer service.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have a RCBS 5-0-5 as well and I love it. I have tried to find a good used beam scale to have at my place in AZ (right now, I cart the 5-0-5 back and forth). I agree with the statements about being cautious on used scales. I purchased two different used scales and the first one wasn't as advertised so it went back to the seller, the second was incomplete so it to went back to the seller. I'm done with "used scales".

OP - I load 45 Colt and am just starting with the 30-30. On my 45 Colts - my favorite charge is 6.0 gr. of Red Dot under a 454-190 flat nose - the traditional 45 Colt boolit. While I use my 5-0-5 to check my charges on a random basis, I use a dipper I made out of a 9mm Luger casing - it throws 6.0 gr. of RD consistently - and the trick is to be consistent in how you dip. I will be doing the same with the 30-30 once I get a load developed. I only plink and kill cans and paper and the dipper method works fine for me. If you were shooting competition or really serious about it, then maybe you'd want to weigh each charge with your beam scale. YMMV I just wish that they were still selling the 5-0-5 as I'd have no problem getting another one for a back-up / second scale.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Dillon and don't have any complaints, but I haven't tried any other.

Boolit Master
    Whatever you buy...buy quality. Especially if you think you will do this long term. Good equipment will make you smile.... I have a CH with no model number. Super sensitive but no damping.... Also another vote for RCBS 505...this is a good scale too. I really should buy a 'high end' scale...well...just because....

Boolit Grand Master

I picked up a "vintage" RCBS 5-0-5 off E-Bay, no box or instructions but in excellent condition (look at the photo's carefully) for about 1/3 the cost of a new one (and that includes the postage) so that was a great deal. It replaced an old Redding #1 with oil dampening.....Lord I wished I had gotten one years ago, it's accurate and so easy to use. Mostly easier to use with the triple settings it has.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    To me There is only 1 Name In Beam scales. Ohaus. . Dial 0 Grain. Or even better the Older Model 314/315. Very accurate , sensitive. always reliable. . expensive But your only Buying once
    Most guys don't buy them because of the Cash
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    I guess you guys know that RCBS dropped the current range of scales, the 502, 505 and the 10/10 around 12 months ago. The new beam scales from RCBS are the M500 and the M1000.

The new M500 is a direct replacement for the 502, being just a simple two poise scale, it has the same knife edge/floating agate bearing set-up as the older scales. The beam has the scale printed on both sides so can be used left handed.

I've not used the M1000 so can't really comment but I would guess it uses the same system.

Boolit Master
    I've been looking for a Hornady/Pacific M scale for sometime and thought I would try the Hornady LNL beam scale. That was a mistake. Have a older 505 that I'm sure was made in Mexico as it was very light so I filled it up with lead shot and closed off the bottom with a piece of balsa wood which made a big difference with it as it now is much more accurate. Also just got a Ohaus 10-10 that is at least 40 or so years old and is complete with box and manual. Pretty excited about it as it works very well.
    Hornady sent me a LNL bench electronic scale instead of another beam under warraty and so far it has been working good but time will tell.

I found a nice Ohaus 5-0-5 for 50 bucks,hopefully it will work for the next 20 years-thanks
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boolit Bub
    lyman m5/ ohaus 1005. all a fellar needs in scale.

Another RCBS 505 owner. Mine is mounted at eye level right next to my powder measure.

Boolit Buddy

dryflash3
    Nice looks good
    I like Dillon’s Eliminator it is nearly the same as the RCBS 5-0-5 and you can still buy new.
    http://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-s-eliminator-scale_8_7_25215.html
    L.E.C.

Boolit Buddy
    The Redding No.2 takes some beating - Nothing fancy, just a plain simple scale that does the job well.

Here's one I've been playing with just this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np2XyJlN3Js

Boolit Bub
    Redding #1 serves me well. Great scale..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    The Redding No.2 takes some beating - Nothing fancy, just a plain simple scale that does the job well.

Here's one I've been playing with just this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np2XyJlN3Js

Man I sure wish I had you patience and skill. Another good job 1066.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Man I sure wish I had you patience and skill. Another good job 1066.
    You make me blush sir.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast