Load DataWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .25-20 win brass from .32-20 brass

.25-20 win brass from .32-20 brass

Gentlemen,
    I have made .17 Fireball brass from .223 and .222 brass, I have the forming dies and it's no big deal. I have made .32-40 brass from .30-30 and .32 spl from .30-30 and even .38-55 from .30-30.

Now I am diving into a pool of which I have no experience. I have some .32-20 brass (new) and wish to make it into .25-20 brass. Do I just run it through a .25-20 sizing die? Usually I anneal my formed brass after they are formed, should I anneal these before?

THank you in advance for your input.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

In Remembrance
    I do thousands of those a year, and here's what I use.

All of this is on a progressive press mind you.

32-20 sizer die.....need them round and all the same, if you don't any imperfections just get worse.
    22Rem Jet form dies (There's 3 but I use the 2 larger ones)......you need to form gradually with the thin necks.
    Custom .270 diameter neck reduction die.....without it I was crushing the necks, so I made it on the lathe.
    Last station is the sizer die which needed to be altered to hold the gauge dimension.

I use my own homemade lube, and I have to use it very sparingly or I'll get dimples.

I found out even a little annealing job weakens them to much resulting in a lot of scrap. Now I anneal very last just before they get shipped out. Even though I go through this multi-step procedure I'm still getting about a 4-7% scrap rate. When reducing the neck in steps it's important to size them down far enough or you'll collapse the case at the final step.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 03-21-2016 at 03:48 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Bub
    I have a bag of new .25-20 (50 or 100 can't remember) cases as well as 400- 500 already cast/lubed bullets I bought from Midway a year ago. I ended up selling the gun don't have any use for the other stuff. If any of you wanted them, I'd make you a hell of a deal on it. A month ago I spent several hours cleaning/organizing my reloading room and have a pile of stuff I don't need any more. If anybody is interested email me at: musket57@gmail.com

Boolit Master

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/32...-easy-way.html

This is the best way I have found yet. Just follow it instructions and your all set.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; 03-21-2016 at 06:02 PM.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Griffiga how can you not "need" 25-20 stuff, you just "need" a 25-20 rifle & it will all work out. I bought a couple bags of brass and a set of dies about 4 years before I found a 25-20. It's got a rough bore and rough wood but it's a fun little gun.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    I use a .270 REN as an intermediate die with no annealing. Maybe lost 2-3 out of a hundred.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Bub
    Ya I know Enfield, I did have a little Marlin 25-20, it had a very rough bore and the internals kept jamming, I got tired of fighting it. I have a .32-20 and a .218 bee so the .25-20 is pretty much more of the same. I suppose I could convert the brass, but I'd rather someone else use it for the rifle it was intended for.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by griffiga View Post
    Ya I know Enfield, I did have a little Marlin 25-20, it had a very rough bore and the internals kept jamming, I got tired of fighting it. I have a .32-20 and a .218 bee so the .25-20 is pretty much more of the same. I suppose I could convert the brass, but I'd rather someone else use it for the rifle it was intended for.
    Sent you an email about the brass -

Thank you gentlemen for all of your input. I bought a Redding form and trim die and after annealing only lost about 4 out of 150. I slugged the barrel and it reads .2545". Thank God it's not oversized, now onto a good mold. Thank you all again.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    I just found a Rem Model 25 in 25-20 at the last PHX gun show. There is little to no blue, just a patina, and the bore IS PERFECT?

How can that be?

Savage Sporter

Just came into a VERY early Savage Sporter in 25-20. Pristine condition but missing a magazine, which I found a repro one from Triple K Mfg.
    Bought 300 formed cases from Grumpa.
    Looking forward to working up some 25-20 loads and reducing the woodchuck population.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Sgt 2111 View Post
    Thank you gentlemen for all of your input. I bought a Redding form and trim die and after annealing only lost about 4 out of 150. I slugged the barrel and it reads .2545". Thank God it's not oversized, now onto a good mold. Thank you all again.
    They now recommend an additional die as a prelude to the form and trim. It is some kind of T/C die in 308. W/O anneal I lost 2 or 3 of 250 going from 32-30 to 25-20. Call them or ask here and I'll check and then update this post. I lost 40% of my first hundred w/o the initial die because I was smart enough to anneal them. Duh.me

Boolit Grand Master
    GRUMPA had it right, don't anneal until the case forming is done, at least for the .25-20.

When I was doing this, I didn't have any intermediate step dies or even .32-20. What I did was use the .25-20 seater die as the intermediate step, then the full length resizing die. It worked, but I can see how something in the 7mm-.270 range would be better. I think I had about a 12-13% loss before I figured out how to do it.

Robert

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    GRUMPA had it right, don't anneal until the case forming is done, at least for the .25-20.
    Robert
    It is interesting how we get so many different outcomes.
    Starline brass I assume.

I was not annealing first and loosing a lot and even the fully formed good ones were very hard to produce.
    I changed to annealing as step one and FL sizing in a 32-20 die and not I might not loose one in 50.

Also, the motor oil additive STP is the best lube I have worked with and the smallest amount you can use is the way to go.
    Like drilling metal in a drill press, "Pecking" your way into the die - feeling how it feels and re-distributing the STP lube on the case with my greasy fingers if it does not feel right gets it done for me.

Sounds slow?
    After a few, it is fast.

I really enjoy the Winchester 1892 in 25-20.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Sgt 2111 View Post
    Redding is now recommending an additional die as a prelude to the 25-20 form and trim. It is some kind of T/C die in 308. W/O anneal I lost 2 or 3 of 250 going from 32-30 to 25-20 with the additional die. Call them or ask here and I'll check and then update this post. I lost 40% of my first hundred w/o the initial T/C 308 die because I was not smart enough to anneal them. Duh.me

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    It is interesting how we get so many different outcomes.
    Starline brass I assume.

I was not annealing first and loosing a lot and even the fully formed good ones were very hard to produce.
    I changed to annealing as step one and FL sizing in a 32-20 die and not I might not loose one in 50.

Also, the motor oil additive STP is the best lube I have worked with and the smallest amount you can use is the way to go.
    Like drilling metal in a drill press, "Pecking" your way into the die - feeling how it feels and re-distributing the STP lube on the case with my greasy fingers if it does not feel right gets it done for me.

Sounds slow?
    After a few, it is fast.

I really enjoy the Winchester 1892 in 25-20.
    No, I was doing mostly Nickle plated Remington or plain WW brass. Don't remember for sure what lube I used, I have used both STP and Imperial sizing wax while forming cases.

My .25-20 is a Husqvarna single shot so after I got a couple of hundred rounds of brass, I figured that was enough for quite a while.

Robert