RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Browning B78 in .45-70 Scope Mounts

Boolit Bub

Browning B78 in .45-70 Scope Mounts

Got a deal on a B78 in .45-70 and wanted a low-power scope to help my old eyes. Looked it up at Brownell's and the Low wall called for a #51260 2-piece mount and low rings. Got them soon and when I tried them out, the front mount was way too tall and the scope was in an up angle in relation to the bore. Anyone have the same experience with this? Is there an alternative mount base?

Boolit Grand Master
    The B-78 had at least two different bases; depending on if you had the round or octagon barrel. Not sure if the .45-70 had a different base or not, but I had a round barreled .243 that had the octagon front base. No bueno. Cant remember now if it shot way high or way low.

I'm also not sure if the 1885 high and lo walls used the same bases as the B-78.

Robert

Your "problem" is that you installed a base set for a tapered octagon barrel, which uses a front base higher than the rear base, ILO a set for a straight octagon bbl, which would have both bases the same height..

The .45-70 Browning B-78 was the only iron-sighted M-78, but since it had a straight octagonal barrel (all other chamberings were made with tapered octagonal barrels w/o iron sights), I would suggest ordering Browning Model 1885 bases, since that model also had non-tapered octagonal barrels.

The Browning Model 1885 mounts one base on the receiver ring and the other on the barrel. They do not interchange between High-wall and Low-wall. I don't know whether or not they interchange between B78 and M1885. I suggest ordering bases specific to the Browning B78.
    Last edited by Tatume; 03-22-2016 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typo

In Remembrance
    When I got my B78 (in 1979) I bought Leupold bases and rings.
    Check their offerings ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    The Browning Model 1885 mounts one base on the receiver ring and the other on the barrel. They do not interchange between High-wall and Low-wall. I don't know whether or not they interchange between B78 and M1885. I suggest ordering bases specific to the Browning B78.

FWIW, I've had/owned/shot/hunted both with Browning B-78's & Browning M-1885's.

1) Browning offered B-78 scope mount bases for ONLY tapered octagon or for round/heavy barrels - and not (AFAIK) any mounts for the straight octagon barreled .45-70 B-78.

2) The B78's I had were prepped atop the receiver ring for the rear scope mount base, just like M-1885's.

3) Since ALL M-1885's had straight octagon barrels exactly like the .45-70 B-78 barrel; ergo, M-1885 bases would also work on a .45-70 B-78.

Boolit Bub
    Well, I was going to try one that Leupold makes for the 1885 High Wall, but I called Leupold today and was told that none of the mounts work for the B-78 in .45-70. He also told me that Conetrol was the only maker of bases for that model. I checked their website and they had a listing specifically for the B-78 in .45-70.

I have Conetrol rings and bases on one of my favorite rifles. They are really nice; I think you'll like them.

Boolit Master
    1885 Brownings have octagon barrels in two types

1. Tapered octagon for the sporting rifles
    2. 1/2 octagon to 1/2 round barrels with no taper as installed on the BPCR type rifles.

When the B-78 was introduced I can remember that the early rifles in .45-70 only were not even drilled and tapped for a scope.
    Browning was guilty of being pretty dumb in that market.

1. They made a buffalo type rifle with no tang for a tang sight
    2. It was not drilled and tapped in the beginning
    3. It had that silly Hawken butt
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    Mine is drilled and tapped but it does still have that Hawken butt. I'm only going to shoot cast boolits out of it so I won't load it hot enough to hurt.

I put mine together way too long ago to remember the bases but, I use a Leupold 1-4, 20 MM great combination. Beware of scope tattoo.

Boolit Master

Smile

I had to get a picatinney rail custom made to be able to mount any of my scopes on it.

As you can see, it is not a very traditonal setup, but it works very well indeed.

I have switched my NXS 5.5-22 on and off of it without issue (the scope mounted on the rifle in the picture is an entrance level 5.5-16x40 Bushnell 3200 tactical scope), not very expensive, but it sure works far better than its price point!

The base was drilled to fit the exsisting action bolt holes and 2 of the holes on the barrel. The base was machined with a 35 MOA angle to maximise the scope adjustments.
    Ii havent had a chance to shoot it much yet, since I got this set up, but have had the chance to shoot a few groups at 100, and 250 yards.

I shot two bullet styles at 100, a 420 grain flat nose, and a 525 grain Postell. I didnt have enough 525 grain postells to shoot at 250 yards at that time.

The 420's were shot with 14 grains of Unique, seated firmly into the lands. Around 1200fps

The 525 Postells were shot with Varget, also firmly into the lands.

It Was a more than a little disappointing that I didnt have more postells to shoot! The silly load grouped into around 1/2" at 100 for a 4 round group! The velocity was right in around 1425 fps. A great velocity range for that bullet!

I now have a mould on order to mitigate my bullet supply issue! Lol!

Hope you like the pictures.
    Last edited by Dthunter; 07-08-2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: For clarity

Boolit Master
    The 35 MOA built into the mount should be a pretty good set up. I have bore sighted and sighted in a lot of 45-70s. I have noticed with my low velocity loads that a 100 yard zero has the bore pointing about 3 feet above the point of aim.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthunter View Post
    I had to get a picatinney rail custom made to be able to mount any of my scopes on it.

As you can see, it is not a very traditonal setup, but it works very well indeed.

I have switched my NXS 5.5-22 on and off of it without issue (the scope mounted on the rifle in the picture is an entrance level 5.5-16x40 Bushnell 3200 tactical scope), not very expensive, but it sure works far better than its price point!

The base was drilled to fit the exsisting action bolt holes and 2 of the holes on the barrel. The base was machined with a 35 MOA angle to maximise the scope adjustments.
    Ii havent had a chance to shoot it much yet, since I got this set up, but have had the chance to shoot a few groups at 100, and 250 yards.

I shot two bullet styles at 100, a 420 grain flat nose, and a 525 grain Postell. I didnt have enough 525 grain postells to shoot at 250 yards at that time.

The 420's were shot with 14 grains of Unique, seated firmly into the lands. Around 1200fps

The 525 Postells were shot with Varget, also firmly into the lands.

It Was a more than a little disappointing that I didnt have more postells to shoot! The silly load grouped into around 1/2" at 100 for a 4 round group! The velocity was right in around 1425 fps. A great velocity range for that bullet!

I now have a mould on order to mitigate my bullet supply issue! Lol!

Hope you like the pictures.
    EDG

Boolit Mold
    Dthunter, who was that made your picatinney rail for your Browning 78? I have one that I'm having re-barreled with a 308 Win palma barrel and would like a picatinney rail to fit it.

FCBIII