WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: 8x58r swedish rolling block

Boolit Master

8x58r swedish rolling block

Have been giving some serious consideration to having my swede rolling block rebarreled to another caliber. However have any of you shot this rolling block in the 8x58R caliber?. Any info regarding bullet alloy (wheel weights plus 2% tin is the alloy I normally use for my cast bullet shooting. Bullet selection I understand should be fairly heavy. so any info on molds, powder charges,powder, primers and all the other stuff. Got my swede from simpson's ltd a bunch of years ago and she looks lonely standing there in the corner. Rifle is in excellent shape with a conversion date of 1892, bore looks great,stock and forend are also in excellent condition. sights are the standing leaf which can be changed by rapping it with a brass hammer. Front sight is fixed. Thank you for your assistance.Frank

Boolit Master

Lee makes a mold around 238gr IIRC. Brass is available from BACO. I had the best luck with 4759. I used straight WWs. The one I had shot pretty good but it screamed at me to be a 40-65.
    It was a very pleasant gun to shoot in the 8MM. I tried BP in it but the fowling was way to bad to deal with.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 71' Rolling Block 002.jpg   71' Rolling Block 001.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

First things first. You need to slug the bore and figure out what size it is. Then run a tight patch down the bore and determine the twist rate. Once you've got bore size and twist rate, you can determine if it's fast enough to stabilize a 200+ grain bullet, or if you need to go down near a 170 grain, like a .32-40 bullet weight.
    I would definitely shoot it, and load for it if it's got a good bore! They're a hoot to shoot in that caliber, and easy on the shoulder too!

Boolit Master

This is the mold but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mum-first-cast

Bob

They shoot very well with the Lee ( some use the .323 mould I found the .329 mould better ) and I got the NOE 215 .326 mould. I use 8x56 Hungarian brass. It swells a bit at the base, but I only load about 18 gr. 4759. Try it before you change it to something else.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info and suggestions. Bought this some years back and its been gathering dust. Was going to rebarrel it to 50-70 but never could seem to get the money saved up. Thanks again, Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    They shoot very well with the Lee ( some use the .323 mould I found the .329 mould better ) and I got the NOE 215 .326 mould. I use 8x56 Hungarian brass. It swells a bit at the base, but I only load about 18 gr. 4759. Try it before you change it to something else.
    I sized mine .325. At 100yd it would print 2MOA which I thought was pretty good considering the 4MOA sights.
    18gr of 4759 seems to be the go to load for most of the 30cals that I own.
    The brass I had was stretched 45-70 and was a little pricey but I didn't have any 8X56 either.

Bob

Boolit Bub
    I have a Swede Rolling Block that was purchased from TradeEx Canada. It was re chambered to 50-70 Govt. I have been doing tons of reading on BPCR and can't wait to head to the range for the first time. I have all the equipment and am building some cartridges as we speak. It's addictive
    "I said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it". ~ Matthew Quigley

I have heard that you can use 7.62x54R brass in a pinch. About like shooting 38 special in a 357 chamber I suppose.

Boolit Master
    From what I have been reading Starline 45/90 brass is the go to case for reforming to 8x58R with others such as 45/70, 8x56R and a few others. Two daughters getting married this year. So you all know where the money is going. WAHHHHHHHHHHHH. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

I have the mold that Boz330 sold me along with the brass. 45-70 is a little short but shootable. The Lee boolit is 235grs and it shoots very well. I get about 3 to 4" groups at 200 yards with it. The Lyman 160gr Loverin does better in the accuracy department and less recoil with 12grs of Unique. IIRC my load of SR4759 with the Lee boolit is 22 or 24grs of SR4759.
    I also size to .235".

Any idea of velocity with 22 - 24gr 4759 ? I think I was getting just below 1200 with 18 gr 4759

Boolit Grand Master

I'll look in my book tomorrow this way I can confirm the powder charge also.

Boolit Buddy

Hey guys, for what it is worth, I have done a lot of testing with the Swedish 8x58RD cartridge in the Swedish RB rifles. On Gunboards.com you can find the load data and pressure data I collected with a RSI pressure trace tool. These rifles are a lot of fun but hey have a 28,000 PSI upper limit. Check out my data, pressure curve charts and pictures on Gunboards under the sticky for Swedish Rolling blocks, its worth a look see.

Regards, Smokepole50

Boolit Grand Master

Forgot to look in my book. Just wrote myself a note on will take a look in the morning.

Smokepole50, is this the same data Dutchman posted on his site awhile back?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Forgot to look in my book. Just wrote myself a note on will take a look in the morning.

Smokepole50, is this the same data Dutchman posted on his site awhile back?
    I'm familiar with Smokepole50. He's doing it the right way.

Dutch

Boolit Grand Master

Found the data for the 236gr Lee Karabiner RFN GC. Powder was IMR SR4759. 20grs = 1,486 fps, 2.04" for 5 shots at 100 yards. 22grs. = 1511 fps, 2.212" for 5 shots at 100 yards. Primers were WLR. Recoil was still mild.
    I carried this gun with this boolit for a day on an antelope hunt in Wyoming but never got an opportunity within my limit of 200 yards.

Dutchman, good to know about Smokepole. I'll take a look at his data.