Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Mihec 6.8 mold

Mihec 6.8 mold

I was in on the Mihec 6.8 spc group buy several years ago
    I haven't used it for some time now because I was having trouble getting them to load in my cases.
    Finally decided to do a search this morning and found this thread and on page ten of it described the problem I'm having.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...6-8-spc/page10

No matter what I do the Hornady gas checks don't fit right.
    Sized with Lee push through 278 dia. with and without gas checks
    Lubed or powder coated there is no difference.
    I tried expanding case mouth to accept them to the point of splitting the mouth.
    But boolits get the sides "Skinned" as they are loaded into case , even without the gas check.

I have a Lee 6.8 mold and have no trouble with it loading, I don't use it because the boolit is too light weight.

Has anyone figured out what to do about this problem.

Seriously thinking about getting another 6.8 mold, but haven't decided on one in the 120 + gr size
    Any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    Are you using an M-die for case neck, and mouth expansion? What dies are you using? It is possible that the cases are being oversized, and no matter how much you bell the mouth with a lee expander you would still get a shave. Seems to me though if you are sizing the lee bullet the same they should go in the case the same unless they are getting canted in the case mouth on insertion into the case neck. As far as the gas checks go I have tried a method of expanding checks that a member posted here with good luck that is not to bad as far as time invested. He used a case mouth expander spud all the way down, and a sizing push through rod for a 30 cal to shove them up onto the spud. Help a ton with my home made gas check that would not fit on certain bullets.

I use Lee dies, they seem to work just fine for all my other reloading requirements.
    I have a separate Lee expander die for my 6.8.

You gave me an idea, I went out to work shop (Garage) and took some cases I haven't sized or de-primed yet and tried to get the Mihec boolits to go into case.
    They barely did slide in with hand pressure.
    I'm wondering if I could get by with just de-priming the cases and not neck sizing them.
    I know, the only way to find out is to try it.
    Don't have the time to find out right yet.
    People looking at my house, we are working on another house and with work, I don't know when I'll have the time.

Fired case mouth id is 277 so is the sized Mihec boolit.
    Base for the gas check dia is 256, while the id of the gas check is 250.
    That would explain why the check wouldn't snap on like it was designed to