Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 223 AR load data help

Very nice David. Looks like you spent a little time putting those together which also confirms my velocity so I won't waste time with checking mine again. At least not til I dial them in as powder coated. Too bad you didn't get a group to post though.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    Who changed the title to"T"?
    I got your PM, and changed the title. I don't think a mod changed it to "T" and honestly I have no idea that happened?
    according to the "last edited by" note, the last person to edit the OP was you...on the same date you created the OP
    Last edited by BrassMagnet; 03-20-2016 at 02:10 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I got your PM, and changed the title. I don't think a mod changed it to "T" and honestly I have no idea that happened?
    according to the "last edited by" note, the last person to edit the OP was you...on the same date you created the OP
    The magic of computers and software.
    It could have been a scrambled bit!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I have no 'real' experience, but I have been reading about this in threads, on and off, for years. I have only shot reduced (bolt action) loads in my AR. But from what I've read, if and when I start going down the AR-15 road with cast, I will try H4895 first.

Using the google search box with "AR 4895" will get you all the same threads I've read. From what I've read, one nice thing about H4895 is it can be downloaded to 60% their MAX load
    http://www.hodgdon.com/
    Which will let you Zero in on the lowest pressure load to cycle your rifle's action and whence, give the widest range to search for best accuracy.

PS IMR4895 is not the same, although they are similar, I don't think Dupont recommends the 60% download thing.
    well, I finally got to the range with some 62gr HM˛ (.226/SL68B) loaded with H4895 for 556 AR (1:9). This was just a test to see what cycles the action. I loaded about 6 rds of each. 18gr. 19gr. 20gr. 21gr.

the 18gr didn't eject the brass
    the 19gr ejected the brass, but didn't cycle a new round into the chamber...except the last round, which jammed.
    the 20gr cycled as it should, but seemed slow, like a howitzer.
    the 21gr cycled perfectly.

This is a brand new DPMS gun, so spring and action may be stiff.
    I was shooting off-hand at 25 yards in the pistol pit, all 6 rd groups were 1 to 1.5" with a couple called fliers. so, not a good test of accuracy, but I've seen lots worse in other guns when boolit was poorly matched to load and/or gun.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

try again with a powder positioner in the lower amounts.
    or keep on going up.
    I use IMR-4895 and prefer it to regular ol H type.
    I just gave away the last @4 lbs of the hodgdons I had to get rid of it.
    download it just like the H-brand.
    it's also slower burning in the 22 cal rifles.
    I can work a load with the I type and switch to the H-type and it will blow my groups open.
    if I work in reverse I can usually go up with the I type to get the same results on target just with more powder.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    .....download it just like the H-brand....
    I heard just the opposite, that you can not safely down load it just like Hodgdon's brand. Any published information on this?

Just trying to be safe.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

I ended up with some H4895 finally and the sweet spot for the Mihec 65gr Nato is 21.5 for me and 3 16" AR's with 1:7 and 1:8 twist. This worked for lino, 3-3-96 and PC. I also tried without the gaschecks using PC with terrible results. I haven't ran them across the chrony yet but QL shows them around the same velocity I got my best results with Benchmark as well at around 2300fps. I will do some detailed testing with the H4895 and Benchmark soon where I have access to a 400 yard range.

Boolit Master

I've got a good start on my M&P 15-2 using Lee's 225-55-RF, checked and sized to .225 and lubed with Lars white label lube. 20.4 grains H4895 and it is cycling and shooting just fine. Accuracy is good at 50 yards with the 3 moa red dot. Need to chrono it and bench rest it but all looking good so far. Will follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    If H4895 is the ticket I'm up a creek. I have never seen that powder in stock anywhere for the past 3 years...
    Try this guy.

https://www.brokenboxr.com/store/ind...oller=category
    BullFrog

The Lord is my rock and my salvation

Joel 2:28-32

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKEYE BANDIT View Post
    Sorry for butting in,stuck inside and thought I could help.Attachment 164348
    Thanks for the tip.

Boolit Master
    I worked up some loads ... using a red dot 50yds

Attachment 228223
    been awile but here is the data that i was going to do for a 2nd outing

223 REM For NEA 223 Semi
    Bullet Noe Primer Lot dhl634g load date April 2 2015
    weight 55 g Primer WSR Length OAL 2.220 +-
    Brass Norinco Brass Powder Lot 1012014 5270

Qty charge wt powder primer Comments
    15 16.0 H 4895 win sr Norinco Brass
    15 16.5 H 4895 win sr Norinco Brass
    10 17.0 H 4895 win sr Norinco Brass
    10 17.5 H 4895 win sr Norinco Brass
    10 18.0 H 4895 win sr Norinco Brass

I will note on my first outing i did not crimp the necks enough and was getting feed jams (with bullet being pushed back in the case causing jam)
    not sure if I used dacron or not
    I did get full function or 99%or so that it was worth wile to redo the test with the above load changing to a scope

ref a old post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...something-else
    Last edited by Ford SD; 10-04-2018 at 03:14 AM.

Boolit Master

My only AR is in 300 blackout, so I am going to spend the winter working on cast in it. So far, H110 and H110 Data have been good to me with 160 grain cast bullets. I have however shot cast on and off for a few years in my Mini 14 and 4895 has been the ticket for me. I have shot 17.5 to around 19 with 52 to 55 grain cast bullets. I hope to either find a heavy barrel 223 Wylde upper or build one this year. I will be following this thread with interest.

Boolit Bub
    I worked up a load for the Lee DC C225-55-RF using Varget. I cast them with a somewhat soft lead of BH 9 or 10. The bullets cast a bit lower than 55, about 52 grains. The rifle has a 7-1 twist.

I ran it from 12-22 grains and they all shot well at 25 yards. I only have iron sites, so I can't go much further than that. From 12-18, I did 1 grain increments. For 18-22, I did 0.2 grains.

12-18 didn't cycle the action at all.
    19-20 Ejected the round, but didn't load a new one.
    Starting at 21, I got the it to fully cycle. The max I tried was 22 grains. There was no indication of overpressure. Sadly, I don't have a chronograph, so I can't provide any information on the speed.

While 25 yards is a pretty short distance, the groups were as accurate as factory ammo for iron sights and no bench rest. All of the holes in the target were clean, round and even. There was no indication of tumbling or disintegration.

Cheers
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Dog View Post
    I worked up a load for the Lee DC C225-55-RF using Varget. I cast them with a somewhat soft lead of BH 9 or 10. The bullets cast a bit lower than 55, about 52 grains. The rifle has a 7-1 twist.

I ran it from 12-22 grains and they all shot well at 25 yards. I only have iron sites, so I can't go much further than that. From 12-18, I did 1 grain increments. For 18-22, I did 0.2 grains.

12-18 didn't cycle the action at all.
    19-20 Ejected the round, but didn't load a new one.
    Starting at 21, I got the it to fully cycle. The max I tried was 22 grains. There was no indication of overpressure. Sadly, I don't have a chronograph, so I can't provide any information on the speed.

While 25 yards is a pretty short distance, the groups were as accurate as factory ammo for iron sights and no bench rest. All of the holes in the target were clean, round and even. There was no indication of tumbling or disintegration.

Cheers
    Eric
    Thanks for bringing this thread back up, Eric. I think it might be time to revisit my 223 project. I've been caught up with so many other irons in the fire. My guess is you'd be able to work up to 25gr of Varget safely if you're able to test for groups. Last I remember I was shooting the 55gr about 24gr of Varget with good results.... I'll have to dig that back up.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123