Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Bullet molds without lube grove

Boolit Bub

Bullet molds without lube grove

Who makes bullet molds without the lube grove? Looking for 45 ,40 and 9mm

Boolit Master

several outfits make them. they are sometimes refered to as powder coat boolit molds. they work really well in my hornady bullet feed system and the lube grove ones do not. will try and dig out that mold and see who made it.

Banned

NOE probably has some in stock for ordering.

try here

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=84

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty sure Accurate Molds will make them.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm considering Accurate as they have several in the calibers you mentioned.

Boolit Bub
    I have a few of Accurates Slick side molds. No complaints here.

Carefully consider you need for slick sided mould for coating. They increase the bearing surface (and friction), strengthen the boolit, add some weight but I can't tell any difference in 40 & 9. I have identical moulds for 308W (groove/grooveless) and not sure I can tell the difference if my alloy is right. BC does change. IMHO the older designs have way too much L.G. (lubes are better now) - you might consider reducing the depth on existing moulds (emory paper & dowel). Machine time on grooveless is less but I don't think we see a $ difference. They don't drop from the mould any easier that I notice. Remember, sized lead (sizer or bore) has to go someplace, it's either a L.G. or the base. Grooveless has no place for grease lube if you chose to go back. My rifle moulds have a single small groove that is in the neck but if I did a long bore rider I might put one outside the neck - I consider them as 'collector' grooves. Your choice, just my 2 cents.
    Edit: consider the Lee BO sub mould with T/L grooves. Not only hard to get good bands but consider the torque on the boolit when the front part hits the goove and the back hasn't. A few years back I twist tested the 30/30 RD mould. Broke EVERY time at the L.G. no matter what alloy or even H.T.ing. My point? Alloy failure occurs at the L.G. or stripping. Lube in the groove doesn't help with twisting forces. Can you use a 'weaker' alloy with grooveless? IMHO, yes, slightly. Conversely, can you run higher pressure grooveless? Yes, a little. Evidence? I found I can run a 145gr. coated boolit (PB ) in BO @ 2000 fps with accuracy, in the 40K CUP range using grooveless Using AC Isocore. Way above normal 40 & 9 pressure.
    Last edited by popper; 03-22-2016 at 11:19 AM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

I just orderd a 9mm and 40 from Arsenal molds. Ill see how they work when they get here. Both smooth sided.