Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Wadcutter 357 Magnum Loads

Full Wadcutter 357 Magnum Loads

For the past year or so, I have been shooting some cast solid base wadcutters in 357 Magnum brass out of several 357 Magnum revolvers. I got started when Ed Harris mentioned 10/2400 as a good load of such a type. I gave it a try and it performs very well. Having quite a bit of the original Israeli made AA5, I tried 7.4 grains (Little Dandy rotor 8) and it shot equal as well, and the point of impact and recoil seems the same as the 10/2400 load.

I keep a good Smith and Wesson 19 loaded with these things. They have always worked very well in my 1972 OM Ruger Blackhawk. I modified an RCBS expander to give me deeper expansion with these bullets which seat deeper in the case. It is 3rd. from the left or 2nd. from the right in the pic. I have used several home cast and purchased solid base wadcutters and they all do about the same.

The accuracy of these loads hold up well beyond 50 yards and while well beyond the pressure and velocity of 38 Specials are quite mild for the 357 Magnum. I am guessing somewhere around 1,000 to 1,100 fps. They should make a very good house defense load and field load for small critters up to about 50 pounds or so.

I have not read much of anything about these kinds of loads, so I pass this along to anybody that might find it interesting.

FYI...The expanders pictured are all RCBS. No. 1 and No. 3 (modified) are the older ones that measure .357. No. 2 is the current style that measures .356. No. 5 is the special order (no longer available) long .3585 for HBWCs in 38 Special Wadcutter brass. It cannot be used in regular brass for it will bulge the bottom of the case. I modified No. 3 in my lathe for wadcutter use in regular 38 and 357 Magnum brass.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I am running 138gn Bayou Bullet wadcutter 38 spl+P out of a GP100. I have one of the 38 spl GP's. My load is using long shot though with very good performance. Six grains of Longshot gives me 1200fps out of a four inch barrel.

Moderator Emeritus

I assume everyone understands these are cast wadcutters not the commercially purchased target ones. Is there much difference n impact at 50 yards versus a similar SWC?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I shot many many 358495's over 4.9 of 231 in my M 27. About 1000 fps and quite accurate.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I assume everyone understands these are cast wadcutters not the commercially purchased target ones. Is there much difference n impact at 50 yards versus a similar SWC?
    I was careful in my OP to say cast solid base wadcutters. If some idiot wants to shoot the soft swaged ones, all he will get is lousy accuracy and a lead plated barrel. If some other idiot wants to shoot hollow based wadcutters, he may well get a blown up gun when the bullet skirts are blown off and left in the barrel.

Again, I try and be very precise with these kinds of things, but if folks are so stupid as to not be able to read a thread, they should not be allowed around a loading press. However it is always good to try and idiot proof a thread and I thank you for your effort to that end.

I have not shot WCs and SWCs. side by side with the same load to see if there is any significant different in POI. That said, I doubt if there will be enough to warrant a sight correction. Both loads above, with several different solid base cast wadcutters all shoot to the same sights setting. They all go into the same group, assuming similar bullet weights of course.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 03-19-2016 at 02:04 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Perma-Banned

I shoot wadcutters in my .357's...but they are the Lyman 75gr...they are a blast from the .357 LCR.

Banned

I have been using Mihec 170 solid wadcutter in .357 mag. Around 1,000 fps. A problem solver to be sure.

Boolit Master
    Yes indeed I love full throttle full wadcutters. I find pushing them to 1400 fps and above I can't tell any difference between them and cast hollow points in the way they shread water jugs. I do have a little more faith in the wadcutters to penetrate hoof or paw driven critters, but have no doubt they would work well as felon repellant (love that term, I got it from one of the more eloquent members on this board, 9.3x62AL)
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I shot many many 358495's over 4.9 of 231 in my M 27. About 1000 fps and quite accurate.
    358495 over Red Dot/Promo 5.0 gr also very accurate. Also @ 1000 fps.

I expect it is the velocity rather than the particular powder that is providing the accuracy. Many loads in 357 seem to work very well in the 1000-1200 fps window regardless of the gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I expect it is the velocity rather than the particular powder that is providing the accuracy. Many loads in 357 seem to work very well in the 1000-1200 fps window regardless of the gun.
    Yessir--and not just the 357 Magnum shows this trait. It carries through in all of the straightwall Magnum calibers for me, to include the Ruger-level 45 Colt loadings. Very useful and tractable ballistics. Herco is your friend in this ZIP Code.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Yessir--and not just the 357 Magnum shows this trait. It carries through in all of the straightwall Magnum calibers for me, to include the Ruger-level 45 Colt loadings. Very useful and tractable ballistics. Herco is your friend in this ZIP Code.
    Back in the days before 296/H110, Herco and 2400 were the go to powders for full power magnum loads. They still do an excellent job of pushing boolits fast and accurately.

Moderator Emeritus

It's been a long time ago, but I shot similar loads of something like 1,000 fps. with SBWC's, and they certainly did a good job on the few smaller woodland creatures I shot with them, but for my use and at that time, I was still concerned with learning to use my speedloaders quickly and effectively and smoothly, so gave up on the square ended WC's in favor of more easily and quickly loaded bullets. Nothing at all wrong with the loads, except that they're the hardest ones to g et into a revolver using speed loaders.

And my experience with accuracy with them was good out to at least 100 yds., too, so I agree with the concept of the added velocity extending the range at which they stay stable. All the twist formulas I'm aware of shot velocity as one component of bullet stability, which of course is based on RPM's. Add more velocity,and the RPM's go up. Just makes sense, to me, at least.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used the 358-432 on and off for years in exactly this sort of load. Originally, I used the 160 grain boolit crimped in the crimp groove to let me know that was a full power "38-44" load to distinguish it from powder puff PPC loads.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Blackwater--NOT going to GO THERE with any RPM references on this site, such ponderings are the path to madness--sanctions--and removal. FWIW, Lyman #358430 (195 grain RN) seems to de-stabilize while passing through jackrabbits at 600-700 FPS speeds from 38 Specials. Sent forth at 1100-1200 FPS in the 357 Magnum, it seems to bore straight-through. In all cases, the recipient expires forthwith. I wish I could say the same for 9mm 147 grain JHP hits on jacks. (I know, HERESY--but I'm just reporting my results. Don't kill the messenger.)
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I have been using Mihec 170 solid wadcutter in .357 mag. Around 1,000 fps. A problem solver to be sure.
    Got a pic of what that WC looks like?
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Banned

No pictures. No loaded rounds or bullets left right now. Never cast the HB, only as a solid. Tom/Accurate can make the exact same thing. Or a custom wadcutter.

Wait..... Let's go there and cover this RPM threshold/madness thing a little more. He he (insert purple font).

i also like to hot-rod full wadcutters in 357. H&G 50 and an old Lyman 35891 with BE, Red Dot, Green Dot, 2400, Unique, 110/296 (use both), WST, 4227, #9 and other powders have worked with a lot of good results and many outstanding results.....

I also also have two 452389 molds which pour a 185 gr button-nosed wadcutter. I use it in 45ACP, but I really like it in 45 Colt with 19 to 22 gr 4227!! A lot of fun and accurate, it's the load in my avatar.

So I guess you can say some of us really do belong to the "Hot-Rod Cuttin' Wad Club"!!
    Last edited by PS Paul; 03-21-2016 at 07:36 PM.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Got a pic of what that WC looks like?
    Check out this link
    http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm

There are pictures and diagrams of most Lyman bullet molds. The wadcutters have flat noses of just a small button.

Boolit Master
    Tazman's link and the Lyman chart shows the Lyman 358344 WC mold pattern. Years ago this same style was made by most of the mold makers. I have Modern-Bond molds for this style for both the 150 and 160 grain boolits. Side-by-side testing has convinced me that the 150 grain boolit holds tighter groups than the 160, but only slightly. This is for both 38 Spl and 357 Mg loads. I often refer to these boolits as "maximum SWC" style. The nose is outside the case and measures .348" diameter, well below the bore diameter, so no resistance (and pressure) comes from that part of the boolit (other than weight) when fired. These are my favorite boolit for casual carry and recreation use.

Thin Man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast