Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Shop tips

Boolit Master

I like that, thanks!

Boolit Master

shop tip, i buy the ruber floor matts for gyms at wall mart. 100sq ft. for 20 bucks. i then put some on the floor in front of my lathe. this helps my back substantially. then i covered my gunsmithing table so that guns donot get marred by the wood surface. the matts are about 1/2" thick and fit together like giant puzzle pieces.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    I like to use elevated wooden slats to stand on in front of the lathe. Kind of like a wooden pallet is constructed but with 3/4" spacing between the boards. This allows for an accumulation of chips on the floor and you aren't standing or getting hung up in them. You do have to lift them up to sweep the floor but it sure is nice not to have to walk through the chips to get to the lathe.

Regards,
    Everett
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    shop tip, i buy the ruber floor matts for gyms at wall mart. 100sq ft. for 20 bucks. i then put some on the floor in front of my lathe. this helps my back substantially. then i covered my gunsmithing table so that guns donot get marred by the wood surface. the matts are about 1/2" thick and fit together like giant puzzle pieces.
    These are pretty good afield as well, in front of the tent/camper/caravan (I think you guys call them trailers, here we refer to the box trailers we tow behind our cars and 4wds, etc to clean up and gather firewood, etc as trailers).

I also have them in front of the loading bench and pistol safe (which is mounted on the floor and is a hands and knees job).

I think I will go with the wooden slats when I finally get my lathe installed. I think the machine chips, etc would cut the mats to ribbons and you would also be walking them everywhere.

They are a boon everywhere else though.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

For mixing epoxy or any two-part thing: plastic ice cube trays. When a compartment gets full, twist and out it pops.

If not, get another. They're cheap.

Boolit Man
    If you park the empty propane cylinder in your ice cube maker for a while, you can get more in it when you reload from the large tank.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    A thought or 2-

Never, ever, ever throw out any electrical appliance before doing a couple things.

2- Never throw a drill away without at least trying to get the chuck off it. Again, you'll need it someday.

That chuck you saved makes a great addition to a chuck wrench. I put an old keyless chuck on the handle of my drill press chuch wrench as a large diameter handle cover. It's much easier on the hands to get it good and tight. A drill bit salesman once told me to always tighten your chuck at all three holes. It's amazing how much better they tighten if you do. A little lube on the moving parts of a chuck helps tighten and prevents galling over the years.

David

Keep you sons away from your good gun screw drivers. They make terrible pry bars anyway.
    I have lost count how many they have ruined or lost over the years.
    Then there is the 16oz Craftsman ripping hammer that was left in a cottonwood for three years by the oldest???? Right, SpringfieldM141972?
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman .. . Neither works.

Women always say that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.There is no way to prove that they are wrong.

But a year or so after giving birth a woman will often say "It would be nice to have another child".

You never hear a guy say, "It would be nice to get kicked in the nuts again".

Quote Originally Posted by SPRINGFIELDM141972 View Post
    I like to use elevated wooden slats to stand on in front of the lathe. Kind of like a wooden pallet is constructed but with 3/4" spacing between the boards. This allows for an accumulation of chips on the floor and you aren't standing or getting hung up in them. You do have to lift them up to sweep the floor but it sure is nice not to have to walk through the chips to get to the lathe.

Regards,
    Everett
    Sweep the darn floor, Dude.
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman .. . Neither works.

Women always say that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.There is no way to prove that they are wrong.

But a year or so after giving birth a woman will often say "It would be nice to have another child".

You never hear a guy say, "It would be nice to get kicked in the nuts again".

Boolit Master

The pallet also lessens the fatigue of standing in front of the lathe.

Boolit Buddy
    Hockey pucks. Drill a few holes in them, and a "V" and they make great bases for driving out pins without marring metal surfaces.

Boolit Master

Hochey Pucks

Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    Hockey pucks. Drill a few holes in them, and a "V" and they make great bases for driving out pins without marring metal surfaces.
    We don't have them down south, I have been looking for them!

Banned

Never seen one in my life here out west.

Where's Don Rickles when you need him?...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlaw484 View Post
    Keep you sons away from your good gun screw drivers. They make terrible pry bars anyway.
    I have lost count how many they have ruined or lost over the years.
    Then there is the 16oz Craftsman ripping hammer that was left in a cottonwood for three years by the oldest???? Right, SpringfieldM141972?
    I really like good quality knives in the kitchen, but since the boys came along (35 yrs ago) I haven't had a knife that didn't have the tip broken off from trying to pry the lids off cans, etc. I gave up going crook about it, didn't do any good and was just making me mad. I now have a Chinese wife and I bought her two cleavers, one thin and sharp and one thick for chopping. I pretty much prefer those now (and go and try and break them if you can!).

Did i mention the beautiful Bone handled Boker flding skinner that was my pride and joy? Hit it in the long grass wiith the lawn mower one day, sliced through the side of my Army sock and embedded itself in the tree. Of course it was as rusty as all get out the time, it had been lying in the grass for awhile I suppose, that'll teach me to be slack with the mowing. I don't know what happened to it, I think it went looking for the custom made sambar handled drop point skinner that disappeared around that time.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

That Chinese wife sounds good Mick. I would like to trade mine in about now- one that's done with menopause ...

Boolit Master

Pat and Mick,

Is that trade your wife in a shop tip that one should keep posted on the shop wall? I think Iwill keep mine for a while longer, but the menopause thing is an interestign time for the man to endure I too am finding out.

Banned

I've been into it coming on 4 years now. It's like living with a Jeckle and Hyde transformation that comes on about 3 times a day. I wish it was simple as a shop tip ... ...

Boolit Buddy
    Got a gun for my wife!

Best trade I ever made.

Boolit Master

It is "mentalpause" not menopause! Mine is going through it too.

Banned

I ask the question...

What did man do to deserve such a thing?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast