Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '03 bbl installation

Boolit Master
    ok, i ordered a bbl vise from midway on tuesday eve, and it got here today. i cut a set of blocks to match the bbl dia, and guess what ?? it still would not go within .3 on the dia of matching the witness marks.
    i chucked up the bbl in 4 jaw with a spyder on the muzzle end( thru the head stock), and dialed it in to less than 0.001. i then did a fine clean up cut and tried the reciever...still not go. so now its time to take some metal off. took three small cuts and was fianlly close enough to go back to the bbl vice and recvr wrench. cycled the two a couple of times and then hit it hard, and then a little harder....lol...its lined up.

the bolt cycled fine, but it will not close on a dummy round, so it is short chambered..just a bit.

its reamer time....

thanks

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

How much did you end up taking off approx? Sounds like a fair amount?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like it was/is a new barrel. Good to see you got it on. Not too difficult to ream. Hope she shoots good for you.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    How much did you end up taking off approx? Sounds like a fair amount?
    probably less than 5 thou, i did not measure, but was cutting around 1-2 thou each time. was being very conservative.

gonna rent a reamer and gages about 50 bucks for two weeks...plenty of time to get it cut will order for shipment one week from monday..i'm going on vacation for a week!

(someone want to do the math...figure .27 turn ona 1.2 od)
    only accurate rifles are interesting

You might (might)be able to buy a reamer on fleabay for close to that. Just a thought, if you can measure your sized brass for length at the reference line, and your dies are in spec. (or near - not too short). You could chamber to that length - your sized case.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Mike, I make it a practice, after a few bad experiences, NEVER to lend out reamers. If you manage to buy one, let me know, and I'll lend you a pair of go-no go gages.
    Morgan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12