Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Question for those who use Lee 00 buckshot mold

Boolit Man

Question for those who use Lee 00 buckshot mold

Hey guys,

I have the Lee 00 buckshot mold that can drop eighteen pellets per pour. I have tried casting with "pure" lead (from melted birdshot), WW lead, and Lyman #2 alloy.

I have been unsuccessful in getting good fillout while using "pure" lead or WW lead, no matter how hot I get the melt or mold.

The only way I can get good fillout (~85-90% of all cavities filled completely per pour) is by using Lyman #2.

I'd prefer to save my Lyman #2 alloy for other casts though.

What alloy are you successful with when using the Lee 00 buck mold, and at what temp?

Thanks!

Boolit Master

I use straight clip on WW metal, however I pressure pour. Ie. place the mold cavity directly against the spout, once full I pull it away to form a spru.

Boolit Bub
    I never had much success with ladle pouring in this mould.
    I switched up to a bottom pour lead melter and had instant success.

Melted bird shot is probably not pure lead it's more in the range of wheel weights. I used to use wheel weight exclusively because I could get them. I did find they cast a bit better when a little more tin was added.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't tried pure lead, only range scrap which runs about wheelweight alloy. I cast fast and hot and is all works well. Pure lead is tougher to get fillout. Try adding some tin (bar solder or whatever), that should help.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    stick on wheel weight run very hot (850f as i recall) . It took a few pours to get up to temperature, but once I did and go a feel for how to pour so that it filled well, it worked fairly well for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I use straight clip on WW metal, however I pressure pour. Ie. place the mold cavity directly against the spout, once full I pull it away to form a spru.
    I'm with moonie on this one. I just cast up a ton tonight with a brand new mould.

Running it hot and using a sweetened 50/50 COWW and pure was giving me some fits.

Pressure pour and the lower the mould to leave a little puddle on each cavity gave 100% success.

Can't wait to shoot these suckers. Now I need load data.

ive cast mine using everything from pure soft to lymans #2 and always had good fill out with my bottom pours

Boolit Man
    Ok guys, some good suggestions here...I'll give some a try.

As always, thank you!!

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    For casting 00 in my HM2 mold I run it hot and fast to get perfect fill out. Get that mold HOT.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I'm with moonie on this one. I just cast up a ton tonight with a brand new mould.

Running it hot and using a sweetened 50/50 COWW and pure was giving me some fits.

Pressure pour and the lower the mould to leave a little puddle on each cavity gave 100% success.

Can't wait to shoot these suckers. Now I need load data.
    My favorite load:

2 3/4" Cheddite Hull Ched209 BlueDot 30.5gr FS12 gas seal Teflon wrapper Lead grains 773 #00 3x5=15 Buckshot Pressure 9400 1060fps

It's a thumper, on both ends...

Boolit Buddy
    I use this mold a lot.

Get it hot on a hotplate before you start to cast, hot enough so the sprue plate will sizzle if you touch it with a wet tip. And make the alloy good a hot too (I pour pure lead at 800F).

Quote Originally Posted by SniderBoomer View Post
    Get it hot on a hotplate before you start to cast, hot enough so the sprue plate will sizzle if you touch it with a wet tip.
    This comment saved me a bunch of time. I have yet to cast yet, so there's no telling how much time you just saved me!