Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Chucker damaged

Rock Chucker damaged

Hello Folks,

It appears that swaging bullets has collapsed the slot in the top of the ram. Can it be repaired?

Does anybody offer replacement parts that are less susceptible to damage?

Thanks, Tom

Cast Boolits Owner

Never know until you call to inform them the ram is damaged.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to hear that. For those of us looking at poor man's swaging using an RCBS reloading press, could you give us an idea of how much work it did before it died?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I got tired of paying for replacement parts for my Lee Classic Cast press that I broke while swaging. I bought an actual swaging press from Richard Corbin - RCE Sea Girt. In fact, he has them on sale for $249 plus shipping. BT Sniper can now make his dies so that you don't need an AES (automatic ejection system). If you buy an AES, the stock handle for the press doesn't work, the AES gets in the way. I'm still working on getting someone to make me a new handle or find someone locally with a torch hot enough to let me add 2 bends to the handle to get around the AES.

I have swaged a bunch of bullets with the RCE Sea Girt and there is no comparison in power between the Lee Classic Cast and the RCE Sea Girt. But of course, the Sea Girt is designed and built to just swage.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    Sorry to hear that. For those of us looking at poor man's swaging using an RCBS reloading press, could you give us an idea of how much work it did before it died?
    Very little, maybe 500 bullets.

In Remembrance

RCBS 1-800-533-5000 Can`t hurt to give them a call.Robert

I did the same thing to my Rockchucker. Just measure the diameter of your ram and then call RCBS. They will send you a new ram for free, but they will need to know the exact diameter of the old one. It appears they hand fit the rams to the presses for smooth operation.

While I was waiting for the new ram to arrive, I took an old beat up shell holder that was an extra and using a punch and hammer, I drove it into the slightly flattened shell holder slot. That loosened it up enough to use for reloading again, and I've got the new replacement ram in reserve for when I bend it again.

In the meantime, I bought a used Corbin CSP-1 swaging press that I'll use for bullet swaging from now on, but I still use the Rockchucker for the notching die I bought from BT.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Thanks Fred. I sent them an email, but I'll follow up with a phone call after I measure the ram. Take care, Tom

You're welcome, Tom. I told the person who answered the phone that I bent the shell holder slot while swaging bullets. He said it didn't matter how I did it, they just wanted to get me back in working order again. They're great people to deal with, and if a woman answers the phone, she knows her products probably better than we do...........

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

RCBS is sending a new ram! I'll keep the old one for swaging bullets and use the new one for reloading. Go Green!

Boolit Master
    If you collapsed your shell holder part on the ram you bottom punch is not made right.
    The top of the slide in part should not rest on the top of the ram.
    All the pressure should be on the bottom of the slide in part of the bottom punch.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Hi Lafaun,

Actually, that was going to be the subject of my next inquiry. Why is the bottom punch made with a top collar at all? It serves no useful purpose, and causes this problem. Without a lathe I don't think I can correct it, but if I could I would just turn the top collar off completely.

Thanks, Tom

Boolit Master
    just turn the top collar off completely.

That would work fine.
    Send it to me and I will do it for you, just pay postage.

Lafaun

Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by alfloyd View Post
    just turn the top collar off completely.

That would work fine.
    Send it to me and I will do it for you, just pay postage.

Lafaun

That's a very fair offer Tatume, I would do it if I didn't have a lathe. Kudos to you alfloyd for helping others out!

Frosted Boolits

The top collar makes it look better. If made properly, the top collar should not exert any pressure on the top of the ram. It should all be exerted on the bottom of the slot, as Lafaun said.

I'd like to see a picture if you don't mind.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Lafaun,

That is a very generous offer, and is much appreciated. PM inbound.

Thank you, Tom

Banned

Interesting. I wonder, might there have been some damage to your RC prior to swaging that you did not notice. I am up in the thousands now of swaging 40's into .45's on mine. And quite a few of those in hollow point. I'm assuming you were swaging cases and not pre-formed 1/4 or 1/2 jackets. Proper annealing and lube are essential. If its pre-formed jackets we're talking about then a little time needs to be spent finding out why it happened. Pre-formed jackets have a much thinner wall than cases and should go through the RC like butter. When all the steps are followed my RC's actually swages very smoothly. There is alot of force going on there but it is a smooth stroke.

As to the contact point of the bottom punch I thought too this might be an issue. But I looked at all mine and it appears that there is contact on the upper rim of the ram along with contact on the lower. At the very least the same amount of contact on each. I would be careful about altering those punches. That top lip if you will can help distribute some of the force being put on it.

But being that its RCBS and they could care less if you threw against the side of the silo and told them you did you will have a new ram in no time. Best reloading equipment out there! Well according to me anyway. For what ever thats worth.......... Good luck. I'm sure you'll be back in the saddle soon.

Boolit Buddy
    As another member mentioned a RCE press may suit you better. You could waste some time and go with the sea girt but the walnut hill is a much improved and heavier based frame. Buy once/cry once or buy a decent press/sea girt vs buying a heavier press without wishing you upgraded is the decision I would be looking at.

In Remembrance

At the very beginning of my using a RockChucker press for this swaging, I had a custom ram made, with 1/2-13 ( or, is it 1/2-20 threads?) threads machined into the end of it. ALL of the punches I use have the threads, so that they screw into the top of the ram. NO DAMAGE EVER!

BT Sniper and several others will make you a custom threaded ram.

The only thing I have ever damaged was the cross linkage pin, which I quickly replaced with a Grade 8 bolt. That will never again break!

Swage on

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    The only thing I have ever damaged was the cross linkage pin, which I quickly replaced with a Grade 8 bolt. That will never again break!
    That sounds like a great idea. Putting on those little C-clips under the bench without losing them in frustrating sometimes. The next time I take it apart I'll measure the pin, so I'll know what size to get. Thanks Duke.

Take care, Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast