Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rock Chucker damaged

In Remembrance

I think it's a 3/8-16 thread size. BUT...........
    The diameter of the pin is actually the diameter of the unthreaded portion of a bolt, under the head. To get the pin made the right size, right length, I am pretty sure I bought like a 5-6" bolt, and cut off the threads, leaving the bolt head, and the unthreaded shoulder area. That is now my pin. I chamfered the end of the pin, making it easier to find the holes.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Duke's method is the way to go. Have a ram made of "stress proof" or another tough steel. Have it have a flat top threaded for whatever thread you want to use on your punches. I make all my draw die punches threaded 3/8-24 and they have a 90 degree shoulder that is the diameter of the drill rod I made the punch from. That way the shoulder takes the pressure and not the threads.
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Hi Duke,

The new ram that RCBS sent me came yesterday. The hole in the bottom is 0.365" diameter, so a 3/8" bolt is not going to fit without some slimming. I'm sure I could reduce the diameter by chucking it in the drill press and applying a file or emery cloth.

The biggest gain for me would be a little bit of additional length, so that I could taper the end as you suggested. Having a spud on the end would make changing rams much easier.

Putting a retaining device on the end is the problem I haven't solved. RCBS uses a groove and c-clip, which I don't have the tools to replicate. I suppose I could leave a few threads between the spud end and the beginning of the pin diameter. Or I could drill a hole and put in a retaining pin, which should work well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sincerely, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Duke's method is the way to go. Have a ram made of "stress proof" or another tough steel. Have it have a flat top threaded for whatever thread you want to use on your punches. I make all my draw die punches threaded 3/8-24 and they have a 90 degree shoulder that is the diameter of the drill rod I made the punch from. That way the shoulder takes the pressure and not the threads.
    At this time I have only one set of dies, and they are threaded 7/8"-14 TPI. The bases punches are made for a slotted reloading ram. So until I invest in new base punches, I'll use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    RCBS 1-800-533-5000 Can`t hurt to give them a call.Robert
    Hi Robert,

Sorry I left you out when I thanked Fred for suggesting that I call RCBS. It was unintentional.

Sincerely, Tom

In Remembrance

I just double checked. The hole through the bottom of my ram is a smidge over .375". I found that a 5" or 6" long 3/8 bolt has an unthreaded shoulder that is .375" in diameter, and fits perfectly in the hole. I cut the piece to a length under the head of the bolt to 1.56" long. Obviously, I left the hex head on the bolt. There's plenty of clearance for the two swing arms. I have never had that pin fall out on it's own, thousands of swaging strokes. So, no need to capture the thing with any clips or otherwise. Perhaps you could drill out the hole in the ram and the lever casting an extra .010" to get the 3/8 size to fit. Hope that helps. BTW, my RockChuckers are the older RCII type. Perhaps the RockChucker Supreme is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hi Duke,

The new ram that RCBS sent me came yesterday. The hole in the bottom is 0.365" diameter, so a 3/8" bolt is not going to fit without some slimming. I'm sure I could reduce the diameter by chucking it in the drill press and applying a file or emery cloth.

The biggest gain for me would be a little bit of additional length, so that I could taper the end as you suggested. Having a spud on the end would make changing rams much easier.

Putting a retaining device on the end is the problem I haven't solved. RCBS uses a groove and c-clip, which I don't have the tools to replicate. I suppose I could leave a few threads between the spud end and the beginning of the pin diameter. Or I could drill a hole and put in a retaining pin, which should work well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sincerely, Tom
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 03-31-2016 at 07:46 PM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Tatume:

Use a small rubber O-ring on the C-clip groove. I put one on my pin and it makes it easier to take out.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Thanks Lafaun, that should work fine. Take care, Tom

Boolit Master
    RCBS used to offer solid rams for the Rockchucker for bullet swaging.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by alfloyd View Post
    if you collapsed your shell holder part on the ram you bottom punch is not made right.
    The top of the slide in part should not rest on the top of the ram.
    All the pressure should be on the bottom of the slide in part of the bottom punch.

Lafaun
    this! ^^^^^^
    bf
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Ford View Post
    this! ^^^^^^
    bf
    thats assuming there is no flex in the Ram and the press, and there is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12