Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking the plunge on new NOE mold

You really don't need a probe. The cord just gets in the way. Don't know how you can resist casting some up tonight, hot plate or not. The mold should be heated up enough from cold in about 10-15 casts to get good ones. A little trial and error on the hot plate setting will get you there, too. If you have a thermometer, try for about 375*-400*F on your mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    You really don't need a probe. The cord just gets in the way. Don't know how you can resist casting some up tonight, hot plate or not. The mold should be heated up enough from cold in about 10-15 casts to get good ones. A little trial and error on the hot plate setting will get you there, too. If you have a thermometer, try for about 375*-400*F on your mold.

No thermometer yet...Hopefully next week...Yea, I can't wait..Gonna cast a few in about 30 min or so

Boolit Master
    I don't think you need a probe. Just make sure the mold is clean. You can always bring it up to temp the old way, before the first guy ever thought of a hot plate, and that is sticking the bottom edge of the mold on the molten lead or just start casting and it will gradually come to temp. I would wait until you have the time because when you start seeing the bullets you won't want top quit.

I have the same mold and as I remember, it started raining pretty boolits really fast. Emptied the Lee 4-20 pot in less than 2 hours casting. Think it's gonna be a late night!

Held off till this morning to give it a try. Took a few dozen ttys to get her going but then like magic it just started casting great bullets....Wow, this little bugger can get heavy too. QUESTION...Is it my Alloy making the bullets come out as 214 gr as opposed to the 200 its supposed to be?

NOW, if I can just get what seems like crud out of my lead I would be happy!!! I swear I've smelted this stuff 2 different times and still has **** in it!

Wonder if its the knife I stole out of the drawer thats causing it..Chrome plated some kind of butter knife I scrape the sides of the pot with?
    Last edited by lablover; 03-25-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    The NOE molds are tested with wheel weights, which is high in tin and antimony making the alloy lighter. I use range lead so all my bullets weigh more than the posted weight.

There are lots of posts of flux and everybody has an opinion, myself included. I have tried just about everything and my choice is Brownells Marvelux. It quickly fluxes the alloy bringing the contaminates to the top. It doesn't catch fire or give off a cloud of smoke. The contaminates skimmed off are very light indicating that the alloy is fluxed and you are not removing metal from the pot. Marvelux leaves my pot reasonably clean, but nothing eliminates the need for periodic pot and spout cleaning.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GWM View Post
    I too like the 3-cavity aluminum molds. To me it feels like the best compromise between volume and balance/weight. Unfortunately they are not that common.
    When I saw NOE had my favorite 38/357 mould ( old Lyman 358432 design ) in a 3 cavity aluminum mould 360-160-WC in stock and ready to go, I couldn't stop myself, out came the card and it was ordered ( I got a mould problem). For a ladle caster , it is absolutely the best !
    Not too big , not too small it's just right! Casting with it puts a smile on my face and a song in my heart.
    Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12